Would having the success of Louisville right now be worth having a scumbag like Petrino as Coach

Would it be worth having a douchebag coach like Bobby Petrino if we were winning like Louisville?

• Yes

Votes: 91 63.6%
  • No

Votes: 52 36.4%

• Total voters

tzjung

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2007
Ankeny, IA
So..a question for all of you Cyclone fans that I am honestly curious about. Bobby Petrino is obviously a douchecanoe of significant proportion. We all know his sordid history of literally quiting on the Atlanta Falcons in addition to being fired from Arkansas for lying and banging Co-Ed Football administrators.

My question is...would it be worth having this scumbag of epic proportions be our head coach.....if we were performing on the football field like Louisville is now?

isu2014

May 16, 2011
Oskaloosa, IA
af9d0b87bce6131e3b596f71a0adc93c.jpg

208-medium.jpg

No.

tzjung

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2007
Ankeny, IA

I completely understand this sentiment...but with the issues of conference instability, and needing to gain some respect from those nationally, I can definitely ALSO understand how would it have been worth a shot to improve our program significantly to ensure we remain in a Power Conference indefinitely. It's kind of a philosophical question in nature, is it worth stabilizing and ensuring you survive the turmoil if you have to align yourself with immoral choices.

Greater good type question?

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
I completely understand this sentiment...but with the issues of conference instability, and needing to gain some respect from those nationally, I can definitely ALSO understand how would it have been worth a shot to improve our program significantly to ensure we remain in a Power Conference indefinitely. It's kind of a philosophical question in nature, is it worth stabilizing and ensuring you survive the turmoil if you have to align yourself with immoral choices.

Greater good type question?
I voted no, but also don't think we would be left out anyway, so that probably influenced how I voted

Reactions: isu2014

Clones8686

Jan 19, 2015
I'm always amazed at how easily McCarney was forgiven even after he admitted to hitting his wife...

I mean, I wouldn't want Petrino, but if you believe McCarney, why not believe Petrino when he says he has changed?

(this probably won't be a popular post, but those are my honest thoughts)

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
It really depends on what the coach did. I don't want a scum bag like art and I don't want a cheater like Lou Holtz. I do believe some people need second chances and as long as it wasn't severe I don't see a reason a coach couldn't come here and prove the critics wrong on how he changed.

I think a good example is Eustachy, I think he has changed a lot and I believe it was the right thing to let him go. I do remember after Fred left some fans thought about trying to get him to come back.

OPButtrey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 21, 2010
Did McCarney admit to hitting his wife? I thought he pushed her during an argument. Not OK, but not the same as hitting.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
I'm a big fan of coach Petrino.

..maybe not off the field, but his on field success is always fun to watch.

• Dislike
Reactions: MrPeske

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I wouldn't want a coach that cheats, but I don't really care if he's a likeable guy. If he's a douche but still able to bring in high quality players and win football games then so be it.

I am in this same boat too. I don't care what someone does in their personal life or what their personality is. So long as they can perform on the job without breaking the rules, I am fine with it.

AdamJGray

Administrator
Mar 9, 2011
Yes. Anyone saying they wouldn't would immediately change their tune as soon as he came here and started winning.

Kentucky fans use to rip on Calipari. Now they defend him. Why? Because he's winning for them now. We'd be no different.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
As long as they aren't allowing rape, assault or murder, I don't care what they do. For the rest of my life, the first thing that will come to my mind when someone brings up Penn St. or Baylor will always be rape. I don't want people to think of ISU that way, but form a network of bag men if you want I'm fine with that.

Reactions: fenton06

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I checked no but I think I've changed my answer. I think I can live with a coach that is unlikable. Cheating, however, I don't think I could do that. I would have a hard time right now as an Ole Miss fan, knowing that everything you're cheering for was likely ill-gotten and soon to be vacated.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Hard to believe, I know, but there is more to life than football. I am extremely proud to be a part of this University, and that goes far beyond our athletic teams into the realm of our true mission of educating young people and providing continuing education for people across the state, for discovering new things, for building great structures, for lifting literally the world into the computerized era.

So my answer is NO.

Kagavi

Mar 4, 2013
California
www.kagavi.com
Looking back at the history of college football, there's a pretty clear correlation between cheating and winning. The latest piece I did over at WRNL showed how Michigan State basically cheated their way into the Big Ten over Iowa State.

Like most schools, Iowa State has cheated in the past, albeit poorly, but paying players what they are actually worth under the table seems like a benign transgression, rather than taking advantage of them financially.

Ethically speaking, Bobby Petrino's actions don't align with the actions of Iowa State's most visible football icon.

Jack Trice asked how he could "do more than my part" on the field and died for it.

Bobby Petrino asked how he could weasel out of his responsibilities and run at the first sign of adversity.

Jack Trice wrote "the honor of my race, family & self" meant more to him than anything else.

Bobby Petrino systematically placed the honor of his family and community and school into a wheat thresher.​

So, a strong emphatic NO to the OP's question.

isu_oak

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2006
Yes. Anyone saying they wouldn't would immediately change their tune as soon as he came here and started winning.

Kentucky fans use to rip on Calipari. Now they defend him. Why? Because he's winning for them now. We'd be no different.
It's possible to dislike a player/coach, but still like the team. The first example that pops into my head is disliking Favre when he was the Vikings quarterback even though he was a big reason they were winning.