Would you press a button to guarantee 3 National Championships in 15 years if it meant Iowa got 4 in the same time period?

Press the button?

• Total voters

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Not to mention that in a 15 year span you'd have almost half the champions come from the state of Iowa. The state of Iowa would become viewed as a hotbed of whichever sport it is (football or basketball) and that would likely contribute to future success going forward. Hell, there's a decent chance in that kind of scenario one of the title games is Iowa vs Iowa State.
I'm not a believer at all of the "what's good for Iowa is good for all the schools in the state" philosophy. I think it is usually the exact opposite as it impacts the ability to get in-state recruits, media attention, etc when Iowa has success. Iowa being great in WBB last year didn't help ISU WBB in any way last year or this year. It is far more likely to skew some younger, yet-to-be fans to the dark side, as well as potential recruits.

However, if ISU wins 3 championships in basketball or football and Iowa wins 4, I think the net gain is basically a wash or net advantage for ISU. People expect more from Iowa because of their media exposure, donor base, league revenue, etc. The Big 12 itself would benefit hugely from a member school having 3 championships.

• Agree
Reactions: alarson

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
The two Power schools in Iowa winning seven national titles would be wild. Imagine how angry that would make the traditional Big Ten powers (TOSU and UoM) and the whole of the SEC.

Even if Iowa won a lot of games, it would be worth it to pee in the national media/ESPN's cereal.

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
Yes, with one minor stipulation: Iowa State's first one has to come first. Order of the remainder is negligible.

And I choose men's basketball, easily, from a realism standpoint. ISU is unlikely to win one FB title in a 15-year period, let alone 3, unless we drop to FCS.
Absolutely nailed it on your stipulation because whichever fan base wins one first will be insufferable and I'd rather that be us.

Reactions: cyclones500

BoomerClone

Oct 27, 2010
North Carolina
I can’t believe this is even a question. IF this impossible scenario ever played out. Hell yes. I’ll sign up in a heart beat. This is just a dumb thread.

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
I can’t believe this is even a question. IF this impossible scenario ever played out. Hell yes. I’ll sign up in a heart beat. This is just a dumb thread.
Nah, just exposing the people who hate Iowa more than they like Iowa State. Plus it’s a hypothetical thread on a Friday for fun.

BoomerClone

Oct 27, 2010
North Carolina
Nah, just exposing the people who hate Iowa more than they like Iowa State. Plus it’s a hypothetical thread on a Friday for fun.
Well. It really doesn’t matter, my answer is 1000% give me 3 NCs. Could you imagine if nearly half the NCs in a 15 year period were from the state of Iowa??

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
Well. It really doesn’t matter, my answer is 1000% give me 3 NCs. Could you imagine if nearly half the NCs in a 15 year period were from the state of Iowa??
Yes and it would be awesome.

UnCytely

SuperFanatic
Sep 24, 2017
Council Bluffs, Iowa
Does Iowa compete in Division 1 baseball? They can have that. It would be a big boost to the Council Bluffs economy to have Iowa in the College World Series. They can also have women's golf. And we can have 2 in basketball and 1 in football.

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
Tempted to vote no because Iowa is already ******* insufferable. But of course would take the championships.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron