Wrestling Collective

4theheckofit

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2013
Was just reading Dressers letter about the RTC and Collective donations. Looks like we're at approximately $900k combined.

My questions...is this good enough? How much more will it take? How do we compare to other top 5-10 programs?

He said we had a shade over $300k for the collective alone...realistically what does it take to get us in the door with 2-3 high AA'S (5th or higher) in the portal?

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
There’s others that will chime with more inside info but my take: We’ll never compete with the biggest pockets (Cael, Michigan, etc) but if we can get to a million, that’s gonna rattle some cages.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I think next year that will even out more. Collective wasn’t available until mid summer, I think?

yler4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 23, 2009
Ankeny, IA
Question on the funds, I know only 9.5 scholarships can be offered. Are schools using the collective to bring in talent that fills their 10 weight classes or are they bringing in talent to almost start a new 10+ roster. I know that's probably a weird way to ask it but I remember listening to a podcast that CW and Blum did a while back in regards to football and said they are pretty sure a lot of these schools with larger collectives are using it to bring on a ton of high level talent that would be like a JV squad if you will so then they always have a ton of talent for backups. Ultimately they're using the collective to buy additional talent and only giving the X amount of scholarships for football so much and then bringing the remaining non-scholarship athletes up to the same amount. Hopefully this makes sense.

Wrestling example. Let's uses Iowa's $1mil as an example. Are they giving $100k to the top 10 wrestlers or are they giving like a full scholarship at $90k + $10k to the top 10 and then using the remaining $900k to bring on 9 elite talented wrestlers at $100k each.

4theheckofit

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2013
Iowa spent almost a million for their roster.
I'm being super naive....where does their money come from? That one super donor or are their fans that much more engaged on the wrestling collective?

4theheckofit

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2013
I think next year that will even out more. Collective wasn’t available until mid summer, I think?
I know the answer is both, but which one is of more importance? CRTC or the collective?

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I know the answer is both, but which one is of more importance? CRTC or the collective?
It is both. Naturally the CRTC helps subsidize Nate and next year David, so that is important to keep him.

I gave a fair amount to CRTC early, so when collective came out, I could give as much. This year might be different depending on where Dresser wants our Humboldt money.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
It is crazy to think that we are now providing huge NIL deals in a sport that is set up for partial scholarship.

Wrestling may become the first sport to separate into tiers. One with no limits on NIL. The other prohibits it, not unlike it was supposed to be in the past. I see a College Wrestling Super League on the horizon. There is just no way that the big spenders won't greatly separate themselves from the others.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
I'm being super naive....where does their money come from? That one super donor or are their fans that much more engaged on the wrestling collective?
I don’t know the answer for 100% certain on this, but I think the majority of the million did not go through the collective.

Mead For My Horses

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 23, 2020
I've been told that the CRTC is able to help with NIL too as needed. Most of my giving has gone there on a 'where it's needed' basis.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I've been told that the CRTC is able to help with NIL too as needed. Most of my giving has gone there on a 'where it's needed' basis.
I think the issue is or might be in the future is the tax exempt status. I know the CRTC is, but not sure if the Cardinal & Gold Collective is yet.

@Tigerguy_ ????

Tigerguy_

Sep 26, 2020
I don’t know the answer for 100% certain on this, but I think the majority of the million did not go through the collective.
It better go through the collective otherwise it's an illegal payment as foolish as that now sounds to say outloud.

Tigerguy_

Sep 26, 2020
I think the issue is or might be in the future is the tax exempt status. I know the CRTC is, but not sure if the Cardinal & Gold Collective is yet.

@Tigerguy_ ????
Per Dresser's email: "As we start our 2024 giving campaign for the Cyclone RTC, we ask that you support our endeavors in the New Year. If you desire full tax-exempt status, we encourage you to donate through the RTC because the Collective has yet to receive its tax-exempt status. "

PantherCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2017

@Tigerguy_ ????

I think this will matter most for big donors. I think the standard deduction for Married filing jointly was $27700 in 2023. I know I will not be reaching that threshold with what I would be able to itemize.

Reactions: Sturge34

4theheckofit

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2013
I think this will matter most for big donors. I think the standard deduction for Married filing jointly was $27700 in 2023. I know I will not be reaching that threshold with what I would be able to itemize.
Ya....me either

JEFF420

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 6, 2014
Michigan
im having high school girls wrestling championships fed to me by the algorithm. INSANE Iowa state doesnt have plans for a womens team, INSANE