Wrestling Conference Tournament Allocations Released

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
8J7kvA5.png

ccubsfans

Dec 4, 2009
Any chance that Dane Pestano will wrestle off for 184 now that Downey is gone? He had a pretty successful year last year at that weight.

csteve

Feb 11, 2011
Any chance that Dane Pestano will wrestle off for 184 now that Downey is gone? He had a pretty successful year last year at that weight.
Haven't heard much on Dane since Breitenbach took over. I was thinking the same and then someone posted he may be leaving as well. Not sure, but hope the best for Dane. He is a competitor.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu

I doubt it as I'm sure he was shrunk down as much as he could to make 165. Plus with only 2 allocations there's about zero chance of anybody currently on the team getting one, so you might as well let Powell finish out his career with a Big XII tourney.

• Agree
Reactions: CloneVIII

NYWRESTLER94

Oct 14, 2015
I think there's a chance Moreno can steal a spot at the big 12s. Is there a chance he gets a 6th year? With all the injuries he's dealt with I'd think it's possible but I can only remember him missing last season and I'm pretty sure you need 2

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Didn't I hear new allocations had Big 12 down to 38 allocations instead of 39?

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Didn't I hear new allocations had Big 12 down to 38 allocations instead of 39?

Huh, you're right, they quietly updated it last night.

lecUzFG.png

At 165 the Big XII lost an allocation and both the Big Ten and EIWA gained one.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
That's a big hit for Breitenbach. He went from having a pretty decent shot at qualifying to be a big reach.

csteve

Feb 11, 2011
That's a big hit for Breitenbach. He went from having a pretty decent shot at qualifying to be a big reach.
I like Logan and hope Dresser can develop him. That said, I don't think he has or had much of a shot to make Nationals or win a match if he did get there. I think in every varsity match this year he has either been majored, tech'd or, pinned. He hasn't won a varsity match. It's not his time yet.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
I like Logan and hope Dresser can develop him. That said, I don't think he has or had much of a shot to make Nationals or win a match if he did get there. I think in every varsity match this year he has either been majored, tech'd or, pinned. He hasn't won a varsity match. It's not his time yet.

The rank of the guys he wrestled, in the final coaches panel

• #7 Anthony Valencia (ASU)
  • #8 Chandler Rogers (OSU)
  • #9t Bruce Steiert (UNI)
  • #9t Te-Shan Cambell (Pitt)
  • #11 Dylan Cottrell (WVU)
  • #14 Yoanse Mejias (OU)
  • #15 Nicholas Wanzek (Minn)
And an unranked guy from UNC. The only guys on the team that would have gone better than 1-7 with that schedule are Hall and Weatherspoon. Records can be deceiving.

With 6 spots he just needed to get one win, over #18 Zilverberg or #20 Fogarty depending on how the brackets shake out. One upset is something our coaches are good at getting in the postseason. With 5 he needs two, that makes it a lot harder.

csteve

Feb 11, 2011
The rank of the guys he wrestled, in the final coaches panel

• #7 Anthony Valencia (ASU)
  • #8 Chandler Rogers (OSU)
  • #9t Bruce Steiert (UNI)
  • #9t Te-Shan Cambell (Pitt)
  • #11 Dylan Cottrell (WVU)
  • #14 Yoanse Mejias (OU)
  • #15 Nicholas Wanzek (Minn)
And an unranked guy from UNC. The only guys on the team that would have gone better than 1-7 with that schedule are Hall and Weatherspoon. Records can be deceiving.

With 6 spots he just needed to get one win, over #18 Zilverberg or #20 Fogarty depending on how the brackets shake out. One upset is something our coaches are good at getting in the postseason. With 5 he needs two, that makes it a lot harder.
Yes...we've been good at getting the slight upsets in postseason. I knew he had a tough schedule. I just think that if you are on the brink of making Nats, you probably are having some close matches with good competition (like DiBlasi has).

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Yes...we've been good at getting the slight upsets in postseason. I knew he had a tough schedule. I just think that if you are on the brink of making Nats, you probably are having some close matches with good competition (like DiBlasi has).

I hear you, and I haven't really puzzled out what I think the seeding is going to be yet, which will have a big influence. But as a whole this year the Big XII doesn't have a whole lot of "fringe" guys except at Heavyweight, most spots were earned by guys solidly in the top 20. So stealing spots is going to be tough.

I wrote a bunch about it this morning

• Informative
Reactions: csteve

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
Speaking of Big XIIs, is the only way to see it going to be Flo? Would love to watch but not sure I want to spend the money on a monthly subscription just for that. I'll be able to watch NCAAs on Watch ESPN so wouldn't use it for anything else in March.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
I wouldn't say it was quietly updated. The NCAA issued a release with the correction and an updated sheet to all the SIDs and national media outlets about 4 hours after the initial release.

The release on the NCAA web page just slotted in the new info and doesn't reference the change beyond an updated post time. That's what I was referring to. If you pull your info vs getting a push from the NCAA there's no indication of a change. I wasn't calling anyone out. Just noting it is easy to miss.

JasonBryant

Some of that also falls on how the information gets distributed once it hits the inboxes of the media and media relations offices. Nearly every school put out some type of release about it and I'd venture to say half of them either e-mailed or reposted their respective stories with a correction, especially if it impacted the number of bids for their school.

From your vantage point, I can also see how it appeared to be a simple update with no real notification. Some schools and media outlets made a bigger deal about it than others -- some coaches even took to social media to display their dismay.

From a PR standpoint, I don't think the NCAA was going to say "Uh, something is wrong" -- they put out a correction to the distribution points and let them handle how they'd disseminate. When something like that happens, sure, you want it to be simply updated without drawing any major attention to a change. They let the schools do that at their discretion.

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: Judoka and Clone83