Wrestling Facilities at ISU

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
How is the quality of our wrestling facilities and how does it compare to the top programs? Are they holding us back in recruiting in peoples opinion?

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006
Poor and probably about right where we are ranked as a team... It definitely isn’t helping
I agree with this. The sad part is that we just redid our room over at the Lied but it falls about where we are ranked.
If I had 50 million, I would build a facility in the grass that is SE of Hilton that housed wrestling, gymnastics, VB and Men's and Women's hoops. Also allow an expansion of Johnny's with that build. A first class building where it matches the Iowa State Center look and improve upon the needed and necessary Sukup in West Ames. I would then turn Sukup into a large competition tennis facility.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I would be interested in what D1 programs have their own wrestling practice facility and which are the total package (practice & competition).

Ohio State has the total package now, I think
Iowa is building a practice facility only and still compete in Carver, right?
Ok State is talking about a facility
What did Little Rock build for their new program?
What does Penn State have?
Doesn't Rutger have a new facility?
Any other programs have their own facility?

Jammin’

Jul 18, 2009
Ames-Mia-Atx
If I had 50 million, I would build a facility in the grass that is SE of Hilton that housed wrestling, gymnastics, VB and Men's and Women's hoops. Also allow an expansion of Johnny's with that build. A first class building where it matches the Iowa State Center look and improve upon the needed and necessary Sukup in West Ames. I would then turn Sukup into a large competition tennis facility.[/QUOTE]

I'm the same way, EVERY time I drive in and around Ames and Campustown, I sort of envision what could be done or slightly tweaked to improve Ames, Downtown, and Campustown to create a more memorable sense of place or improvements.

I think the current ISTATE is probably in good/unique position to really have the opportunity to capitalize and create some special facility environments for fans, students, families, businesses,visitors, and athletes going forward. We have the space in my opinion, so we'll see the next 5-10 years brings.

I think there's a lot of hope for new wrestling facilities.

Getting the new Gateway Bridge over University Blvd and all that new / moved tailgating scheduled to be completed before 8/22 will probably be a catalyst for other sport facility improvements.

cywr89

May 14, 2009
I would be interested in what D1 programs have their own wrestling practice facility and which are the total package (practice & competition).

I believe a stand alone facility is planned as part of the "district" plans. It would be in the SW corner of the North parking lot. I don't know if it is a pipe dream or if serious conversations have been had. I think it is only a matter of time before one is built but hopefully not too long. I don't see the benefit of a total package. Get the program in the top 3-5 consistently and we will fill Hilton 50% or more for most meets.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL

I'm pretty sure Penn State has its own facility. If I remember correctly, it's one of the reasons Cael Sanderson left. At the time, it was a 10 million dollar facility.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
I think some sort of dedicated stand alone wrestling practice facility would be great. If that meant having it attached to a smaller gym so other sports such as volleyball, womens basketball and gymnastics could have their games/matches/etc there along with wrestling duals that would be cool too.

Todd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
The press conference clip of Dresser & co having to yell down the raquetball courts was really sad...Cyclone wrestling deserve better Jamie!

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
The press conference clip of Dresser & co having to yell down the raquetball courts was really sad...Cyclone wrestling deserve better Jamie!

Where are the coaches offices? Are they in Lied or even on the same floor?

BillyClone

Mar 20, 2006
Ankeny IA
Right now, most wrestling practice facilities at the D1 level are similar to Iowa State's in that they are located within a building that houses other sports and is separate from the competition facility. Some are outfitted very nicely or have received a recent renovation - Iowa State has very nice facilities in this regard. I don't believe our facilities put us at a disadvantage for recruiting, yet.

However, there seems to be the beginnings of a movement towards a wrestling "arms race" happening right now. I think it started with coaches' salaries and now is moving towards facilities. Check out Ohio State's facility - brand new, practice room, locker room, theater, offices, lounge area, study area, trophy room/hall of fame, etc. and it all connects to the competition venue which is an intimate 5000-seat arena with video boards, state of the art sound system, and all the latest bells and whistles (it's also home for volleyball matches and gymnastic meets).

I can only assume that numerous other Big 10 programs as well as other top D1 programs will start going this route (U of Iowa already is) - stand alone practice facilities and new, smaller competition venues.

I think it will be important for Iowa State to be aware of the changing landscape in wrestling and make sure that they are planning appropriately for future facilities. I could definitely see a new competition venue in the future for wrestling, volleyball, and gymnastics combined as well as a wrestling-only practice facility. Will be interesting to watch how things progress in the wrestling world.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
Right now, most wrestling practice facilities at the D1 level are similar to Iowa State's in that they are located within a building that houses other sports and is separate from the competition facility. Some are outfitted very nicely or have received a recent renovation - Iowa State has very nice facilities in this regard. I don't believe our facilities put us at a disadvantage for recruiting, yet.

However, there seems to be the beginnings of a movement towards a wrestling "arms race" happening right now. I think it started with coaches salaries and now is moving towards facilities. Check out Ohio State's facility - brand new, practice room, locker room, theater, offices, lounge area, study area, trophy room/hall of fame, etc. and it all connects to the competition venue which is an intimate 5000-seat arena with video boards, state of the art sound system, and all the latest bells and whistles (it's also home for volleyball matches and gymnastic meets).

I can only assume that numerous other Big 10 programs as well as other top D1 programs will start going this route (U of Iowa already is) - stand alone practice facilities and new, smaller competition venues.

I think it will be important for Iowa State to be aware of the changing landscape in wrestling and make sure that they are planning appropriately for future facilities. I could definitely see a new competition venue in the future for wrestling, volleyball, and gymnastics combined as well as a wrestling-only practice facility. Will be interesting to watch how things progress in the wrestling world.
I missed the part when I first read about it/watched it. That would be in line with how I was thinking of sharing the actual spectator arena with other sports that don't always draw 6,7,10K +

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
I wouldn’t hold my breath on a stand alone facility. Not happening for a long, long time.

Any considerable project around Hilton will include an upgrade in basketball facilities first and foremost. Current facilities are small, straight out of the 70s/80s. For instance, the coach’s locker area is smaller than most decent high schools. That will get attention first.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Thanks for the info, I truly didn’t know. What’s currently in the armory and could it be renovated for a stand alone facility

Ocy Docy

Oct 26, 2018
Thanks for the info, I truly didn’t know. What’s currently in the armory and could it be renovated for a stand alone facility

That's exactly what I was thinking! I vaguely remember going to a basketball game there the year before Hilton opened. There were metal stands and people would pound their feet and it got louder than hell. In the 70's, early 80's, there were 2 tennis courts. ROTC used the building for a while, and they built cubicles on the old court area. The Armory would be a great home court advantage for several thousand fans.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
That's exactly what I was thinking! I vaguely remember going to a basketball game there the year before Hilton opened. There were metal stands and people would pound their feet and it got louder than hell. In the 70's, early 80's, there were 2 tennis courts. ROTC used the building for a while, and they built cubicles on the old court area. The Armory would be a great home court advantage for several thousand fans.

I guess the college of design uses the floor as a project area. I’m sure they could be fully accommodated someplace else?? Either way the place held 7000 people for basketball. That could be absolutely nuts for wrestling or volleyball

• Dislike
Reactions: Cyforce

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
I guess the college of design uses the floor as a project area. I’m sure they could be fully accommodated someplace else?? Either way the place held 7000 people for basketball. That could be absolutely nuts for wrestling or volleyball
Pollard isnt going to build an entertainment district next to Hilton then move wrestling/volleyball events away from it.