WRESTLING: Kevin Jackson stepping down at season's end

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Unfortunately, it's what had to happen. I've had many conversations with him and consider him a good and honorable man and a Cyclone to the core. Whatever the reasons why he couldn't meet the fans and his own expectations, it wasn't because he didn't want it as bad as all of us. It's a sad day for a great Cyclone, but hopefully it leads to some excitement and renewed optimism in the program.

Let speculation season begin in earnest.

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
Can't imagine anybody handling this situation any better than KJ has. Getting it out now is absolutely what is best for the team but admitting that you didn't meet expectations is something not everybody would be classy enough to do. Proud to say KJ always has and always will be a great representative of ISU. Once a Clone, always a Clone. Thanks for all your hard work KJ!

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
While I don't follow the wrestling program closely, it's sad to see any individual lose their job, particularly one who is handling it publicly with so much class and professionalism. I hope he lands back on his feet and gets it going at some other school. Good luck, Kevin Jackson.

Reactions: matclone

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Much respect to KJ for the way he handled this situation. Pure class. Wish him the best wherever he goes next.

This allows Pollard to start getting feelers out there, and hopefully hire a new coach quickly after the season which will allow all of the incoming recruits time to decide what they want to do.

• Agree
Reactions: matclone

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I look at KJ like I looked at Rhoads.... both really class acts, gentlemen, and Clones to the bone. And I wanted nothing more than for them both to have great success here, but that isn't what happened. KJ is handling this like a true professional, which is also very admirable.

With that being said, both guys made their own beds and had to have known JP had no other choice as an AD. Good luck to Kevin Jackson!!

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
Agree that KJ is a class act.

Like Gable or Harold Nichols, it would be hard for anyone who followed Cael.

Thanks and best of luck, Kevin.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
I will go on record that I will buy season tickets for wrestling for the first time if we hire the right guy. But if we don't, I'm not sure how long this program will be around. Which is really sad to think. Thanks to KJ for being a great Cyclone!

Reactions: skibumspe

MilehighClone

Sep 14, 2007
This news is big time disappointing. I really wanted KJ to be successful. A great Cyclone.

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
I'll admit that I am for the change but my respect for KJ is still at a all time high. He is and always will be a Cyclone legend and the way this is happening speaks volumes about KJ as a person and a team player. Kuddos to JP for giving him another opportunity in the ISU AD. Sometimes leadership involves getting great people in the right roles.

Reactions: crablegs

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
I hope KJ finds another coaching job if that's what he wants to do. I have to think a lot of schools would want someone of his caliber heading their program.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Is Wednesday a signing day for wrestling? If so, then Tuesday was not a good day for the announcement.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
No all wrestlers have already signed their NLI. They can not decommit, they need a release.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
I was disappointed in the results but never in the man. I thank him for his effort and wish him the best.