Wrestling Schedule

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
ISUChip updates this on Cyclone Report

It's that time of the year...wrestling schedules starting to trickle in. What we know so far:

Nov. 4 - at South Dakota State
Nov. 13 - Nichols Open (via Nebraska schedule)
Nov. 26 - at Northern Colorado
Nov. 27 - at Wyoming
Dec. 10th -at Iowa
Jan. 20 - vs Northern Iowa
Feb 19th -vs Minnesota
March 4-5 - Big 12 Championship (Tulsa)
March 16-18 - NCAA Championship (St. Louis)

TBA - vs Oklahoma
TBA - vs Oklahoma State
TBA - at West Virginia
TBA - vs Arizona State (?)
TBA - other WWC teams (NDSU, AF, UVU)

Unattached/unofficial events:
Dec. 3 - UNI Open

Possible tournaments:
Dec. 2-3 - Cliff Keen Las Vegas
Dec. 29-30 - Midlands
Jan. 13-14 - Virginia Duals
1 ISUChip, Thursday at 9:59 PM Last edited: Today at 9:58 AM

Last edited:

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Looking forward to the UNI match at home. Also, ASU is a young up and coming team. It will be great to see them in person. Two of ASUs best young wrestlers will face Weatherspoon and Downey. I'll be interested to see how those playout.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I am curious to see who gets dropped. We have added SDSU and Northern Colorado so far and I assume Wyoming will be on roster.

Wouldn't doubt if ASU and/or Minnesota gets dropped for the conference duals

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Buf, is it a requirement of the agreement with all these new teams in the Big 12 that they dual each year? I was thinking it was just for tournament/qualifying purposes, but maybe that was just last year.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I don't think it is a requirement, but I do think they want to strengthen the conference tourney by competing against each other. I also hope some of these would turn into double duals, so we don't eat up our schedule with he Air Force, Northern Colorado, Utah Valley type teams.

I think SDSU and NDSU will become fun duals, esp with Bono & Reader at SDSU and I know a bunch of Iowa kids go to school at SDSU.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I don't think it is a requirement, but I do think they want to strengthen the conference tourney by competing against each other.

It would certainly help the seeding process to have more head-to-head results.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
I don't think it is a requirement, but I do think they want to strengthen the conference tourney by competing against each other. I also hope some of these would turn into double duals, so we don't eat up our schedule with he Air Force, Northern Colorado, Utah Valley type teams.

I think SDSU and NDSU will become fun duals, esp with Bono & Reader at SDSU and I know a bunch of Iowa kids go to school at SDSU.

Yeah, we have ties to the coaches at Northern Colorado and SDSU. Plus seeing more schools for seeding. I'd be surprised if we wrestled every Big XII affiliate school, an even more surprised if we did home and homes with any of them except maybe the Dakota schools (since they are closer). But it makes sense to try to get them on the schedule for seeding and to get film on them for gameplanning at Big XIIs.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I am curious to see who gets dropped. We have added SDSU and Northern Colorado so far and I assume Wyoming will be on roster.

Wouldn't doubt if ASU and/or Minnesota gets dropped for the conference duals

I would say ASU would get dropped first, unless we are recruiting there heavy. I would think minny would be cheaper and you have a chance for extra attendance with them.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I would guess we drop Minnesota and ASU. Since we already added Northern Colorado and SDSU. I can't see dropping Iowa or UNI.

I would hope maybe Northern Colorado could turn into a double dual with Air Force or Utah Valley.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
If we drop Minnesota and ASU for UNC and SDSU that will save me at least $100 taking the family to the meets and concessions.

isuska

Jun 22, 2011
Ankeny, IA
WR_Schedule_1_.jpg

isuska

Jun 22, 2011
Ankeny, IA
Interesting schedule this year. I like that we are getting more duals before Vegas and that we are seeing some good new non-conference teams in UNC and Pitt.

Personally, this schedule sucks something fierce for me. My season tickets may just end up as a larger CWC donation.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I was excited until I realized it's a lot of home Friday duals. Not going to get home late Friday and get up a couple hours later for a HS tourney. Youth all the way through college seem to have meets on the same days.