WVU loses D'coordinator ...

Cyfern

Sep 26, 2019
West Virginia and defensive coordinator Vic Koenning have mutually agreed to separate, the school announced Wednesday, a month after it began an investigation into allegations of Koenning's mistreatment of players.

Safety Kerry Martin Jr. detailed the mistreatment that he received from Koenning in a social media post June 23, alleging that Koenning called him "********" during a team workout earlier that month and has made inappropriate comments about religion, politics and the recent protests against racism and police brutality.

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...virginia-d-coordinator-vic-koenning-part-ways
Is there anything left of freedom of speech. Someone is ALWAYS going to be offended about something. Stay away from others.

Cyfern

Sep 26, 2019
Thinking about personalities, Blake Sieler has to be on WVU's shortlist. He was on staff there but took the coordinator position at Old Dominion last year. Blake is the antithesis of what Koenning is pictured to be.
You mean, a "snowflake"?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Is there anything left of freedom of speech. Someone is ALWAYS going to be offended about something. Stay away from others.
Yes. You legally can say basically anything you want and not be punished by the law for it. You cannot get away with saying something that is obviously offensive to a player. That coach is an employee of the school, meaning he has to hold himself up to the school's standards. If you do not do that, you can be fired.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
If my boss called someone ******** I would not hesitate to file a complaint. Free speech still has consequences

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Is there more to the story? From what I read this seems like a teachable/growth moment but instead they just cancelled him.

Or, he was held accountable for his actions. Too harsh of a punishment? That's a matter of opinion, but saying he's a victim of cancel culture normalizes his actions and statements and that shouldn't happen. He made several inappropriate statements and as a result he lost his job (albeit with a big fat severance). That's not cancel culture, that's just facing consequences for your actions.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I've heard this take before and I've never fully understood it.

Yes, actions stem from thought. Every action starts with a thought-- not just the racist ones.

The point is we are concerned with the actions. It's moot to discuss what thoughts people have.

Just an example and perhaps it's not what you're thinking of but it's what I'm getting at (horribly apparently): say someone meets a person who by appearance looks to be of Asian decent. That person strikes up a conversation with this new person, and to 'relate' to them, they talk about some movie they saw recently starring an actor of Asian decent or wants to discuss their favorite Japanese dish or something like that, when the person they're talking to may very well not have in any way any sort of interest in those sorts of things (and isn't of Japanese decent to start with).

The person bringing those up doesn't bring up similar topics with people of their same race.

The intentions are positive, and not directly harmful like what racism is often associated with, but it's based on what they assume about them from what they've known prior and shows little regard for what makes that individual who they are.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
i think this is where kirk ferentz falls. he's old school and runs a hard knocks style of program. a lot of the accusations i've seen fall more along these lines than racist. but there's certainly been some racist behavior as well.

I believe 100% Kirk is not racist. I think he's behind the times and tone deaf to today's student athlete, but certainly not a racist. Sadly that goes against the narrative but anywhoooo....

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I believe 100% Kirk is not racist. I think he's behind the times and tone deaf to today's student athlete, but certainly not a racist. Sadly that goes against the narrative but anywhoooo....
Do you believe discriminating against someone based off the color of their skin is racist?

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Just an example and perhaps it's not what you're thinking of but it's what I'm getting at (horribly apparently): say someone meets a person who by appearance looks to be of Asian decent. That person strikes up a conversation with this new person, and to 'relate' to them, they talk about some movie they saw recently starring an actor of Asian decent or wants to discuss their favorite Japanese dish or something like that, when the person they're talking to may very well not have in any way any sort of interest in those sorts of things (and isn't of Japanese decent to start with).

The person bringing those up doesn't bring up similar topics with people of their same race.

The intentions are positive, and not directly harmful like what racism is often associated with, but it's based on what they assume about them from what they've known prior and shows little regard for what makes that individual who they are.

No - it's 2 people looking for a common bond with which to form some sort or relationship. If your goofy enough to see an Asian and go overboard about Jackie Chan and sweet and sour pork - it means you are socially awkward. If you sneer and call him a name, that's racist and bigotry.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Do you believe discriminating against someone based off the color of their skin is racist?

Do you think having a common vision for having 115 players from all walks of life living, breathing, performing and acting as 1 is racist? Is the way Iowa leaves the field racist? Is having a dress code for the entire team racist?

He's out of touch.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008

there is so much to follow with this ongoing story at Iowa its impossible to follow. I've heard many accusations and almost all of them-- to me-- sound like old school hard knocks coaching and not racism.

No hoodies. No rap music. No visible tattoos. No spitting.

All of those were filed as claims of racism. That's where I get confused

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA

And if you DO think it's racist and the only thing you're doing about it is posting on an ISU chatboard, you are part of their problem. I mean that's what all the commercials and posters and protests have been about. If you're only concern about their racist program is that they are our cross state rivals and you want to see them fail, you're really not much of a person.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
there is so much to follow with this ongoing story at Iowa its impossible to follow. I've heard many accusations and almost all of them-- to me-- sound like old school hard knocks coaching and not racism.

I've been a part of teams that didn't allow hoodies or vulgar music. You've missed some parts of the story though that I won't hold against you. There was a report that just came out publicly 3 days ago stating there was a huge bias between how white and black players were treated. The treatment goes a lot deeper than not allowing someone to show their tattoos.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA

The clothes, the music, the tats - that's being a 70 year old man and thinking your leadership style from 30 years ago is still valid and relevant. The spitting is just being an adult. Regardless it certainly is not valid or relevant today with today's student athletes and what they need from an institution of higher learning.

FOREVERTRUE

Sep 18, 2017

Those claims were also stated that the staff was more lenient toward white kids on these. If the enforcement was different then it was absolutely racist, but that is also difficult to prove.

Now to the WV coach calling a kid ******** (mentally handicapped) is insensitive and his discussion about the protests is misguided and lacking empathy at best and racist and bigoted at worst. He has the freedom to say those things, but he is reaping the consequences.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
And if you DO think it's racist and the only thing you're doing about it is posting on an ISU chatboard, you are part of their problem. I mean that's what all the commercials and posters and protests have been about. If you're only concern about their racist program is that they are our cross state rivals and you want to see them fail, you're really not much of a person.
Yeah I could really care less if Kirk is their head coach in regards to their success on the field. And I've commented on plenty of other things pertaining to racism, including this situation in this thread. The difference is that 1.) Iowa's is one of the largest cases pertaining to over 60 allegations so it's far more talked about. 2.) it's in our own backyard