Xavier Foster removed from team; target of sexual assault investigation

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
False.

Maybe when Foster initially signed with ISU, but once he set foot on campus, I think most people realized he wasn't going to live up to anywhere near his potential. He didn't care.
Ok, well thanks for the inside info, but 95% of us aren't "on campus" so we don't know everything that goes on like you.

I haven't really seen much about him at all on this board until the last couple weeks. So excuse the rest of us for thinking he was going to be an important part of the team this year.

All I've heard is about his foot issues, not that he had behavioral or even criminal issues. Prohm would have kicked him off immediately and TJ wouldn't have dealt with him up to this point either.

This will be rough this year, just like that we only have 10 warm bodies to throw out there, good luck against the Big 12.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Local media in all forms are being drained of resources by profit hungry (giant) corporate ownership. It’s slowly eroding accountability in our communities.

Many of these local papers would have just closed up shop entirely if it weren’t for the corporate ownership. The reason why these local papers were sold in the first place is that they were hemorrhaging cash in most cases.

• Winner
Reactions: Sigmapolis

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
False.

Maybe when Foster initially signed with ISU, but once he set foot on campus, I think most people realized he wasn't going to live up to anywhere near his potential. He didn't care.
I wouldn’t say he didn’t necessarily care, but he sure seemed to care more about getting to the next level than he did to have any team success in Ames. He made comments on social media about only wanting to be in Ames for a maximum 2 years when he initially committed.

Reactions: NoCreativity

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
This will be rough this year, just like that we only have 10 warm bodies to throw out there, good luck against the Big 12.
Who plays 10 players anyways? Iowa? And their fans constantly ***** about that. The best team in ISU history only played 7 players most of the season.

This year was going to be rough with or without XF. TJ has brought in some decent players and has more committed. I'll just be happy if he can put a team on the floor that looks like it has some chemistry and can defend a little. Hopefully the rest will come with time.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
So we should just completely ignore the season and the other 10 players left because one of them is a criminal?

These things aren't mutually exclusive. You know you can be concerned for the victim and still care about the basketball program right?

Sure at some point but to jump right into the season's records or outcomes being the primary concern right after the news is pretty callous imo.

TClone99

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Many of these local papers would have just closed up shop entirely if it weren’t for the corporate ownership. The reason why these local papers were sold in the first place is that they were hemorrhaging cash in most cases.
Could be the case for newspapers. That’s an industry issue. Not the case for television stations that have been, and continue to be, quite profitable

cyclonestunners

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 14, 2011
Who plays 10 players anyways? Iowa? And their fans constantly ***** about that. The best team in ISU history only played 7 players most of the season.

This year was going to be rough with or without XF. TJ has brought in some decent players and has more committed. I'll just be happy if he can put a team on the floor that looks like it has some chemistry and can defend a little. Hopefully the rest will come with time.

I think the concern of less players isn't having ten play in a game... But having ten on practice so you can run 5v5 and play rougher. Hard to prep for a game whne you can't mirror your conditions in practice.

Reactions: ruflosn

DrummerGuy

Aug 27, 2014
shame-jerry-seinfeld.gif

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Ok, well thanks for the inside info, but 95% of us aren't "on campus" so we don't know everything that goes on like you.

I haven't really seen much about him at all on this board until the last couple weeks. So excuse the rest of us for thinking he was going to be an important part of the team this year.

All I've heard is about his foot issues, not that he had behavioral or even criminal issues. Prohm would have kicked him off immediately and TJ wouldn't have dealt with him up to this point either.

You obviously don’t read much. It has been alluded from nearly the beginning. Sometimes it’s as if you just want to get worked up about something you make up. Jfc

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
It kind of does. If TJ just found out about this assault thing then yes. If they have been sitting on it, umm no. Then again this assault thing is just rumor at this point.
Investigation just started up in late June early July so likely he didn’t know much early and hasn’t been practicing in fall so sounds like when he knew enough he pulled the trigger.
I'm curious why this news broke the second the news about him being dismissed from the team broke? Was the Register holding on to this news? Did Iowa State leak it at the same time?

I think for many basketball/team related reasons it is good that Foster is gone. I think for other reasons it is great that foster is gone.

I think it is a bit weird that the info broke at the same time.
not really I am sure the registere went to courts online when he was dismissed saw the June warrant and then asked Ames PD and for there answer.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Investigation just started up in late June early July so likely he didn’t know much early and hasn’t been practicing in fall so sounds like when he knew enough he pulled the trigger.

not really I am sure the registere went to courts online when he was dismissed saw the June warrant and then asked Ames PD and for there answer.

It all happened at the same time. I suppose the Register could have known it was likely that Foster was getting the boot and asked about it yesterday in the morning, but it seems a bit unlikely.

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
How many top tier Iowa HS recruits have we missed out on that left the state and lived up to the hype elsewhere? Like all of them. And we get Xavier. Figures.

Whatever. Glad the victim was brave enough to report. And glad he's gone.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
It all happened at the same time. I suppose the Register could have known it was likely that Foster was getting the boot and asked about it yesterday in the morning, but it seems a bit unlikely.
Who knows why they waited if they did know in advance like the daily, but news orgs also want to get their ducks in a row and maybe him getting released was enough for them to decide to pull trigger on the story (or that they knew at least he was subject of investigation). I am guessing Iowa State did some investigating of their own and determined it credible enough to release him. I am good with the timeline. It can be wrong to jump the gun and wrong to sit on it but seems they acted and he never played a minute for TJ and he was released before public pressure required it, so not much to fault TJ for IMO and good riddance to Xavier.

Last edited:

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Local media in all forms are being drained of resources by profit hungry (giant) corporate ownership. It’s slowly eroding accountability in our communities.

No. This is flat wrong.

Local newspapers (which did 90%+ of the socially useful investigative journalism and reporting that you are correctly noting is gone and bemoaning that fact) used to have two sources of revenue --

(1.) Subscriptions for dead trees thrown on people's doorsteps.

(2.) Advertisers paying for spreads and classifieds.

Newspapers were actually one of the more profitable sectors of the economy from roughly 1950 through to 2000 because they were essentially a series of regional/metro monopolies. I know an old newspaper guy who used to be a bigwig at the Philadelphia Inquirer, and he told me in the 1970s and 1980s they would hire more newsroom staff to write more content because advertiser demand was so high.

Then something happened around 2000. It's called the Internet.

(1.) People stopped paying for news. "Why pay, I can read it online for free." Newspaper people still joke the obituary section might as well be renamed "former subscribers to this paper."

(2.) Again, the Internet. Programmatic ads presented a cheaper and quicker way to "target" your audience than does a classified in a dead tree. I happen to think the "ad tech stack" is mostly nonsense and way overhyped regarding what it can do, but that ad buyers believe in it was sure good for Google.

To put it in blunt terms, the Internet completely ****** newspapers. Most of them failed. This trend is the same throughout the world, too, not just because of the rapacity of American capitalism.

The round of corporate buyouts and consolidations is a result of but not the cause of the destruction of local news. Without outside corporate buyers, even more papers would have failed. This process is what you see in any dying industry -- e.g., outside investors coming in and seeing if they can make it work (they usually cannot) by cutting costs. But the real cause was their revenue sources drying up, which descends from consumer preferences (both of news consumers and the ad buyers) going online and national.

There have been some corners of the media sector that have benefited from this...

-- niche special interest sites, like Cyclone Fanatic, with a small but incredibly loyal following who either pay for the content or are generally very good about supporting advertisers

-- prestige publications in the East Coast (mostly the New York Times and the Washington Post) now able to reach a much larger audience through online subscriptions than they could with paper

Local journalism is dying while the Times and the Post thrive. Heck, there are more subscribers to the New York Times in Toronto -- largest city in Canada -- than there are to the Toronto Star.

Corporate buyouts don't do that. Consumer preferences do. Culture and politics have nationalized and internationalized, which those prestige publications are in great shape to service.

Some one-horse town's newspaper in rural Iowa? Not so much.

You are right this sucks and leads to worse government accountability. But it ain't "the corporations."

It is consumers -- both of news (wanting it for free) and ad buyers moving online.

As the Rolling Stones said, "After all, it was you and me."

Last edited: