Xbox Game Pass Question

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Me and my sons were playing a lot of MLB The Show 21 on Xbox Game Pass the past year. Then The Show 21 left Game Pass so we no longer have access to it. If I were to purchase The Show 21 would our achievements/rewards (whatever they are called) be saved? Would we have access to those or would be be starting from scratch? We did get The Show 22 and are working our way through that now but it is fun to go back and play some of the stuff from the 21 edition that we had.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Me and my sons were playing a lot of MLB The Show 21 on Xbox Game Pass the past year. Then The Show 21 left Game Pass so we no longer have access to it. If I were to purchase The Show 21 would our achievements/rewards (whatever they are called) be saved? Would we have access to those or would be be starting from scratch? We did get The Show 22 and are working our way through that now but it is fun to go back and play some of the stuff from the 21 edition that we had.
Your progress on 21 should still have a Cloud save, so if you buy the game and install it, you should be able to pick right up where you left off.

Did you ever uninstall 21? If you didn't then I guarantee you'll be able to pick up where you left off.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Yes, your progress that you got through the game pass version will still be there on a retail version, assuming you're using the same xbox accounts.

Reactions: cyfanatic

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Thank you both for your replies. Now I need to go out and find a deal on The Show 21 because I really don't want to pay the $60 that Xbox is asking for...for an outdated game! LOL

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I guess I'll hedge by saying I've always had it be this way, but haven't specifically tried it with The Show 2021.
That was my only hesitation as well. I believe the vast majority of games utilize cloud saves, but I can't say for certain that this specific one does. I strongly suspect that it does, though.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Gamestop used is probably around $8-$10 if you have one nearby with it in stock, or Gamefly is selling it used $8.99 with free shipping.

https://www.gamefly.com/game/mlb-the-show-21/5028478

That brings up another topic...I like to download the games...is there an advantage to having a game on disc? I guess than since we won't be playing it as much as we did (since we have The Show 22)...having a much cheaper disc of the game wouldn't be that much of a hassle.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
That brings up another topic...I like to download the games...is there an advantage to having a game on disc? I guess than since we won't be playing it as much as we did (since we have The Show 22)...having a much cheaper disc of the game wouldn't be that much of a hassle.

I think once you get the disc you can actually download that to the console.

Or at least I thought that is how it was.

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
I don't know much about this stuff so I trust what you say...but what would be the reason to install it on the console then?
The reason it is installed on the console is because games are so big these days that the disc drives cant read the data as fast as the console needs to, so the game is installed onto the hard drive then the disc acts as the license key. Without the disc, one person could buy the game and pass it around to 10 people and let them install it and play for free.

• Informative

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Another question...in regards to buying a used game...does that work? Is there any chance that a used game gets flagged as being someone else's game and therefore not usable for me?

I don't think that works like that with Physical media. I know there is some sort of "game share" type thing for digital copies. However, I don't think the industry has ever tried to crack down on the sales of physical media. Not sure they can by law.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I don't think that works like that with Physical media. I know there is some sort of "game share" type thing for digital copies. However, I don't think the industry has ever tried to crack down on the sales of physical media. Not sure they can by law.

Cool...thanks for the reply and info!

CyclonimusPrime

Aug 18, 2021
Ames
Also, you can share your xbox game pass with family for free. Your son can have his own ID and you can have your home ID. You can even share between xbox(s) located at different locations. For example, my brother-in-law and I share one game pass account between us. It does require setting one xbox as "home" and then having your account on (not logged in) to the other xbox. For anyone interested, feel free to look up game pass and family sharing.

Reactions: Gorm and cyfanatic

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Isn't the newest Xbox totally cloud-based?

Also, you can share your xbox game pass with family for free. Your son can have his own ID and you can have your home ID. You can even share between xbox(s) located at different locations. For example, my brother-in-law and I share one game pass account between us. It does require setting one xbox as "home" and then having your account on (not logged in) to the other xbox. For anyone interested, feel free to look up game pass and family sharing.
But as the owner don't you still have to download the games? And certain other benefits, like EA Play, only apply to the owner. There are some dumb restrictions.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Game Pass has saved me a ton of money, but not in the way I expected. There have been a ton of games that I looked forward to, and then found out they either sucked, or were not for me. I think I've found 3 or 4 games that I really liked, and found 20 or more that I'm glad I didn't spend money on.