Yet another letter to editor to Gazetter re: Hawks

Jeffwork

Mar 9, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
You all see the kind of Hoks we have to live with here in Eastern Iowa. Writing to the paper and whining? Apparently it's beyond comprehension they just suck, they must be doing it on purpose or something. Come on toughen up Hawks! And he wrote this before we kicked them in Carver.

"Hawkeye teams need to toughen up

Giving up leads late in games. Falling short on rallies. This is the trend of Hawkeye football and basketball this year.

Hawkeye football has taken a step back, finishing their regular season at 7-5 (4-4 Big Ten), despite high expectations in 2014, and the Hawkeye men's basketball team has stumbled out of the gate with two tough losses against ranked teams at the 2K Classic.

For Hawkeye football and basketball, the bigger the stakes, the bigger the collapse.

Despite high attendance and expectations for Hawkeye football and basketball games, the Hawkeyes continue to struggle and live up to the hype. Hawkeye fans are frustrated with the tough losses and the notion of being 'good enough.' The Hawkeye football and basketball teams need to toughen up, and not only win the games they should win, but win the games that are important for postseason contention. Only then will these Hawkeye programs reach their full potential.

Joshua Lawrence Cedar Rapids "

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
You all see the kind of Hoks we have to live with here in Eastern Iowa. Writing to the paper and whining? Apparently it's beyond comprehension they just suck, they must be doing it on purpose or something. Come on toughen up Hawks! And he wrote this before we kicked them in Carver.

Giving up leads late in games. Falling short on rallies. This is the trend of Hawkeye football and basketball this year.

Hawkeye football has taken a step back, finishing their regular season at 7-5 (4-4 Big Ten), despite high expectations in 2014, and the Hawkeye men's basketball team has stumbled out of the gate with two tough losses against ranked teams at the 2K Classic.

For Hawkeye football and basketball, the bigger the stakes, the bigger the collapse.

Despite high attendance and expectations for Hawkeye football and basketball games, the Hawkeyes continue to struggle and live up to the hype. Hawkeye fans are frustrated with the tough losses and the notion of being 'good enough.' The Hawkeye football and basketball teams need to toughen up, and not only win the games they should win, but win the games that are important for postseason contention. Only then will these Hawkeye programs reach their full potential.

So...what was wrong with that exactly?

First two bolded are self explanatory.

Third is... whose hype? Fans believing the drivel they read?

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
First two bolded are self explanatory.

Third is... whose hype? Fans believing the drivel they read?

Are you really going to say that neither the football team or the basketball team had any hype? The basketball team was ranked in the coaches poll to start the year weren't they? The football team was predicted by many to win the west division.

mctallerton

Apr 4, 2006
So...what was wrong with that exactly?

My only question is where was the hype coming form exactly? ESPN predicted them to finish 4th in the conference, the coaches predicted them 7th, CBT had them 7th. The hawks have 3 losses on the season to teams all picked to be better than them, what hype are they not living up to?

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
If Hawk fans write that many letters to the editor, I wonder how many phone calls the state representatives over there are getting? I'm guessing there are some fans dumb enough to make that call.

BeachAve

Apr 22, 2014

I read it this AM in the print edition.

another delusional Iowa fan with entitlement issues

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I'm confused how they expect more out of basketball. They are the same team as last year, minus their best player. Did they think no McGoober for Frannypants to play too much would improve them more than losing Marble would hurt them?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I'm confused how they expect more out of basketball. They are the same team as last year, minus their best player. Did they think no McGoober for Frannypants to play too much would improve them more than losing Marble would hurt them?

Yes, yes they did.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Did they think no McGoober for Frannypants to play too much would improve them more than losing Marble would hurt them?

A friend said he thought that losing McCabe was a positive that he hoped would offset the negative of losing Marble. He was quite serious.

Was this a letter to the Sports Page? Or the actual editorial page? Because if they are printing sports letters on the editorial page, then I don't know what to say. Besides "I'm glad I cancelled my subscription 15 years ago".

BeachAve

Apr 22, 2014
It was among the other letters in the main section. Some guy who thinks it's every Iowan's God-given right to expect championship teams from the U Iowa

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
Only then will these Hawkeye programs reach their full potential.

I wish Joshua would define what he feels the potential for Iowa Hawkeye athletics is. To me Iowa has fulfilled their potential in both football and basketball to this point. Didn't think Iowa would be much if any better than 7-5 in football and I certainly didn't expect the Iowa basketball team to be better than last years, and so far I think they are doing just that. They have beat the teams they are supposed to, lost to the teams they were supposed other than one exception, UNC. Which are we sure UNC is any good?

I believe what Joshua wants is performances beyond their potential, and that is pretty rare in college athletics, got ot have the horses, and Iowa doesn't have the horses.

majorcyfan

Feb 18, 2007
It was among the other letters in the main section. Some guy who thinks it's every Iowan's God-given right to expect championship teams from the U Iowa

Just how many recent yrs ago was that the usual crowds for ISU women's BB games were greater than the usual Iowa men's BB games? And it was reported here and I looked up various games, matched announced crowds of both and it was true on many nights, even when Iowa gave away pizzas to sucker in attendance. Lost their expectations totally back then. Thinkng it was after ALLFRAUD, EARLY MAYBE IN LICKTHELIGHTER ERA.