Your Car May Get Better Gas Mileage Than You Think

TykeClone

Burgermeister!
Oct 18, 2006
http://www.nbcnews.com/business/autos/why-your-car-may-get-better-gas-mileage-you-think-n377646

Consumer advocates have complained for years that EPA fuel economy tests, which are performed in a lab-like setting rather than on public streets, don't reflect the real-world performance of vehicles. The EPA itself has cracked down on various automakers, including Kia and Hyundai, for submitting data that overstated their cars' mileage performance.

But when engineers from the American Automobile Association analyzed gas mileage records submitted to the EPA by actual drivers, they found something surprising.
In the self-reported data, covering 37,000 mileage records and 8,400 different types of cars, AAA's analysis showed that eight out of 10 drivers reported mileage that was higher than the official combined city and highway EPA mileage rating.
"The vast majority of drivers that submit their vehicle's fuel economy to the EPA report mileage that beats the window sticker rating," said John Nielsen, AAA's managing director, Automotive Engineering and Repair. "Although self-reported data has limitations, it's encouraging to see real-world fuel economy that more closely aligns with, or even exceeds, automaker promises."

But that may be because those that actually care to track mileage are more careful about how they drive than the average driver - and get better mileage.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
I drive a car that is rated to get 23 MPG. I got right around there pretty consistently until earlier this spring. Then I started noticing I had to fill up more quickly. I did the math on MPG and I was down in the mid-teens. I was getting very worried until I checked my tire air pressure. They were all dangerously low.

So another way to save money on gas is to check the air in your tires and make sure the pressure is high enough.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
Gas mileage depends on so many factors (driving behavior, upkeep of car, type of fuel used, just to name a few) that I can't see why this is considered news.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Kwik Star is wonderful for tire pressure. Free and fully automated, just set the pressure to what you want and stick it on there and it'll beep when it's done. I do it every time I get gas (which is only once or twice a month) since I have one tire that likes to lose pressure at a decent rate.

MLawrence

Jan 21, 2010
So another way to save money on gas is to check the air in your tires and make sure the pressure is high enough.

Thanks, Obama:

th

:jimlad:

psychlone99

Apr 6, 2006
psychlone99.wordpress.com
Since we're talking fuel economy, I would highly recommend a new fuel system cleaner I just switched to- Amsoil PI (Performance Improver). BY FAR the best fuel system cleaner I've ever used. I ran it through my trusty old Escape (3.0L V6 w/ 190K) on a couple of back-to-back 4,000-mile runs and boosted my average fuel economy by 4-5 mpg. It's made a noticeable difference in both fuel economy and spunk. I had been using Lucas, but got tired of using something that I assumed was helping but could never really tell for sure. Amsoil PI is the stuff.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
I wish... I track the mileage on all my cars and most are at best right on, or lower.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
My experience has been that my highway MPG is better than the rating, but the city MPG rating is higher than what I actually get. It could be due to conditions I use my car in, but seems to always shake out this way.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
It also depends on where you are driving. The majority of my driving is in town. I cleared my average speed the last time I filled up and my average over 2 weeks was something like 21mph. Add ethanol blend and that adds up to 19-20mpg

When I was driving from Colorado Springs to DIA on the interstate I got 40 mpg. I Never realized altitude made such a huge difference. I rode my motorcycle through Colorado one day and was getting over 60mpg and that bike normally got about 45.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
It also depends on where you are driving. The majority of my driving is in town. I cleared my average speed the last time I filled up and my average over 2 weeks was something like 21mph. Add ethanol blend and that adds up to 19-20mpg

When I was driving from Colorado Springs to DIA on the interstate I got 40 mpg. I Never realized altitude made such a huge difference. I rode my motorcycle through Colorado one day and was getting over 60mpg and that bike normally got about 45.

It makes sense that while driving through Colorado even your bike would be high.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids

Same reason piston planes lean the mixture as they go up.

Help Support Us

Become a patron