Your hopes...

Kitkat

Apr 10, 2009
What if we did start Cole, Loz, HC, Pop, and Anna? It would still be an experienced, upperclassmen dominated team. We would probably go from a team that relied on the three for life itself to one that is built around tough defense and a pound the ball inside attitude. Cole is a good passer and ball handler with the ability to feed our posts. Anna and HC can step out and hit the three thus freeing up Pop to dominate underneath. This team is more athletic and better defenders than teams in the past. We don't have one star that has to do it all but maybe that is a good thing. Any player, any night can go off and put up the Bolte numbers. I like this team and think that the hesistant gloom and doom scenario isn't on the mark. Pop and Hallie need to step up and dominate inside on both ends of the court and that would go along way to getting us where we want to be at the end of the season. Remember, our great coach always downplays his teams at the beginning of the season.

Agree, and we would still have a bench with three experienced players in Z, Jess, and Harris. Add one or two of the frosh that will get some minutes if the reports are correct, and you have impressive depth.

CRAZYGREG

Feb 29, 2008
Des Moines
Hopefully Cole will not see more that 10 minutes of action in any real game this year. She just is not very good. I am hoping that a freshman will step up big time this year and get into the 30+ minutes a game category.

CRAZYGREG

Feb 29, 2008
Des Moines
While this team is probably not the least talented team BF has ever had. It is the one with the most question marks in my opinion. We do not have any outside shooters(consistent). That creates an entire new style of play from a BF coached team. Also, the guards have only gotten worse from last year. I say worse because who knows how the freshman will perform.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
I'll reserve judgment on this team til I see them play. BF is a master of media spin. He is honest, and he says other coaches are spin masters, but he is a master of making things look bleak at the beginning of the season. Every team loses it's star seniors. Baylor was a final four contender with a freshman PG. Moody is quick and has the 3. She is already splitting PG duty at PG. High expectations, but I think she wants that and will respond. I heard many things said that Moody was an under the radar recruit because talent in tx was so deep last year.

What he didn't come right out and say, but is true. ISU has the best frontcourt in the Big 12, and he learned a lot from International ball this year to be able to use our posts more in offensive sets. That Anna averaged 10 points in 22 minutes. That Pop is a beast. That HC could be All-Conference this year. HELLO. We just need some consistent scoring out of Mansfield at the 2, Schroll/Cole to have confidence in taking 3s, Harris to develop her defense, and for Moody to develop as ISU's new PG. Which is what players do at these young ages, grow and develop. Harris and HC were frosh last year.

I have said this repeatedly, but no one seems to hear it, our freshman are the most athletic class we have had at ISU.

If anyone will have this team in the tourney it is BF. Frankly, I adore and miss Kelsey Bolte, but now that she is gone, this team might play better. Sometimes confidence goes a long way, and when you are thinking, "coach would rather KB shoot," it's hard to become that scorer. Even Mulkey has said that her team at times plays better when Griner is on the bench, and she will take Griner out when they rely on her too much so they play team ball.

Last edited: