Your most embarrassing athletic failure...

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
This visual has me rolling! :biglaugh::notworthy:

It was impressive. I dug a trench under me about three feet long.

I was actually pretty good in games...thankfully I got most of my miscues out of the way in warmups.

I'll add one from my high school...luckily this didn't happen to me:

-A basketball player, in the pre-"tear-off" warmups era, went to check in at the scorer's table, pulled off his warmup pants, and accidentally pulled down his shorts, too. He had to stand there in front of everyone for that jock-strap only moment.

SuperCy

Nov 30, 2006
Smallville/Metropolis
This didn't happen to me but I was there to witness it.

During a track meet in high school I was competing in the discuss. Like most small schools, the discuss was heald in the outfield of the baseball field. There is a concrete slab and the gates open up to the outfield.

So, the official for the even decides to park right next to the fence. One kid proceed to spin and must have become disoriented. Instead of throwing straight into the outfield, he let go at the 9 o'clock position. The discuss went straight up and became lodged in the hood/front grill area of the official's car. It was one of those omoments where you wanted to laugh, but knew you'd better not.

DRCHIRO

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 13, 2008
Senior year, CYO basketball vs Remsen. a teammate made a basket and got fouled. I went to celebrate by trying to jump on him, he didn't see me coming and for got to catch me. I landed on his shoes, twisted an ankle for the 500th time and fell on my ***.

District basketball against SB-L. Had a streak of around 35 made free throws in a row. Got fouled shooting a three and missed all three free throws. We lost in overtime by one.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
There are a ton of these, but the one that sticks out in my mind was finishing dead last in a district golf meet at Westwood (Newton) my freshman year. The kid who won the tournament was also a freshman, out of Ottumwa, but I believe he shot something like a 73. I came in with a crowd pleasing 128.

billpickles

Apr 11, 2006
Lost a contact lens during a freshman basketball game. Found it. Lost the other one a few minutes later. Everybody was getting a bit tired of looking. The only time during my 6 years of basketball (plus intramurals) that I ever lost one in a game or practice, and I did it twice in the same game.

Stumpy

Apr 10, 2006
Tucson, AZ
During a rugby match, my team was pinned deep in our end so I went to boot it out. While in mid-punt, I get clotheslined by a defender right on my nose (without a penalty), sending me flat on my back and the ball straight up into the air. I get the wind partially knocked out of me and am slow to get up, and get run over by members of both teams as the ball returns to the ground a few feet away from me. I get chewed out by the coach and spend the rest of the game with a tampon shoved up my nose to stop the bleeding.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
The other team's holder purposely downed an extra-point attempt mid-3rd quarter, so the game would continue intead of us being 50-pointed. We lost by 49.

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
The other team's holder purposely downed an extra-point attempt mid-3rd quarter, so the game would continue intead of us being 50-pointed. We lost by 49.
Wow, the other team's coach must have been a ****.

timhisu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 29, 2010
I played golf in high school and was usually the #5 or #6 golfer. My younger brother was #1 and in my senior year we played Dowling at Beaver Creek. The #2 wasn't there so my brother asked me to move up and play with him. Big mistake.

First tee box with everyone watching, I topped my drive about 20 yards into the pines to the left. Second shot also topped back into the short grass before the fairway.
:no:

Third shot was a miracle and made it onto the green. Sank a 50-60 foot putt for par.
:biglaugh:

sunnysideup

Aug 6, 2009
The Metro
Took a bowling ball off of the side of my slide foot. I dropped down in intense agony and the ball ended up in the other lane, this was during league...

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
There are a ton of these, but the one that sticks out in my mind was finishing dead last in a district golf meet at Westwood (Newton) my freshman year. The kid who won the tournament was also a freshman, out of Ottumwa, but I believe he shot something like a 73. I came in with a crowd pleasing 128.

I finished dead last in my HS conference meet. :sad:

I couldn't even use the rain and slippery old leather grips (this was 1968) as an excuse because the meet medalist was on my team and shot a 69.

drunkincy

Sep 2, 2009
My senior year of football in HS I decided to punch a mat under a basketball hoop and broke my hand. I had 15 tackles that game but the next day I had to go get a cast and played the rest of the season with a cast. Coaches to this day won't let it go. Our team docter was in the gym when I did this and made fun of me when I finally came in to get xrays. tried to play it off as getting stepped on in the game but he politely said, "I'm not an idiot. This is a boxers fracture and I saw you do it." hahaha

Arkansas Cyclone

Nov 25, 2006
Bentonville, Arkansas
I can remember this like it was yesterday. I was playing for a softball league in Churdan, IA, playing first base. I took a hard grounder to the groin, luckily high enough to not do any damage other than some serious bruising. What I found comical was the crowd that did the 'ooooohhhhhhhh' when I got hit. :wink:

jsmith86

Dec 5, 2006
Cedar Rapids
My first cross country meet (as a junior in HS after playing D line the previous year and working out with the football team during the summer), was at my HS. I finished dead last. So far behind everyone else in fact that the golf cart trailing the race passed me up (our asst principal was driving it and I think he thought I was still on the football team) and the stadium, which was where the race ended, was empty except for my parents.

twa5786

Feb 21, 2007
USA
I played four years of baseball in college, and in a game during my junior year, I rounded third base quickly on what probably wouldn't have been a close play at the plate. I started moving too quickly, and felt my equilibrium shift. I knew I was going down, but I made it to about 15 feet from home plate before I faceplanted. I tried to crawl home, but got tagged out easily. The crowd was roaring with laughter, so I took my helmet off and gave them a curtain call.

In little league I ripped a line drive up the middle, only to get thrown out at first base. The ump went crazy. It was a short little man wearing an airplane mechanics shirt that he thought looked like an umpires uniform.

clonestar12

May 16, 2006
Texas
I have 2 moments:

1) Little league(10-12) All Stars regional championship game with the winner advancing to the state finals - we were leading by 2 runs in the bottom of the last inning with 2 outs, when a deep fly ball was hit to me in centerfield, I caught the ball and hit the fence simultaneiusly causing the ball to pop out of my glove over the fence for a 3 run game winning home run.

2) Adult softball tournament championship game when a basehit came to me in rightcenter, I picked up the ball to throw towards the plate, and in my setup to throw, I hit my hat with my glove and it flew off as I was throwing. Well, the ball went straight into my hat and traveled about 10 feet stuck in my hat. I have never seen two teams laugh so hard in my life. I was laughing as well. My BAC was a bit higher at the time as well.

linkshero

May 22, 2008
Ames
Senior year of HS Football I fumbled a punt in a mud bowl with a 6 point lead in the 4th. We lost. I should have just let it go but it was a low line drive and I thought it would cost us about 30 yards of FP. Only punt I fumbled in three years.

Not me, but my junior year our Will LB had to sit out a game because he sprained his hand playing Atari (that's an old video game to you young ones).

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
Airballed a lay up in HS. Running down the lane, wasn't expecting the pass, realized I was running way too fast when I caught it, overcompensated, and left it short. Pretty awesome.

Same season I came down with something about right at the tip off of a basketball game. Took myself out after about a minute since I felt dizzy. Athletic director helped me into the locker room where I puked my guts out. Later he came back and I was sitting on the can, not because I had to, but because I was dizzy and didn't want to pass out and fall over. My buddies were happy to point out that after seeing me on the can the AD went out to the crowd shouting to see if anyone had any Imodium for me.