Your National Title dark horses...

Clone9

Nov 12, 2006
Boston, MA
How about Virginia Tech? They will have 2 running backs (Ryan Williams and Darren Evans) who have both rushed for 1000+ yards, and along with Tyrod Taylor as a senior they will be able to run the ball. Bud Foster always puts an amazing defense on the field as well. As far as dark horses go, I'd put them right up there. Of course, UNC and Miami will challenge in the ACC which should be improved this year.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
How about Virginia Tech? They will have 2 running backs (Ryan Williams and Darren Evans) who have both rushed for 1000+ yards, and along with Tyrod Taylor as a senior they will be able to run the ball. Bud Foster always puts an amazing defense on the field as well. As far as dark horses go, I'd put them right up there. Of course, UNC and Miami will challenge in the ACC which should be improved this year.

I have them losing to Boise right out the gate. Also, they seem ranked a little high for Dark Horse status.

I think we see 2 unbeatens again this year, with several other unbeatens floating around. Only twice has there ever been more than 2 unbeatens from BCS leagues, last year and 2004 (or maybe it was '05) when Auburn ran the table.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
Unfortunately, I think Iowa will be in the hunt, there D is really good:(

The hawks will finish 9-3. They always seem to find a way to let down their fans when the hype machine gets going.... The hype machine in Iowa City is running full speed ahead. Uh oh....

CyBroncos

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
UCONN - 16 starters back, well coached and get WV, Pitt and Cincy at home. They can make a statement by winning in the Big House in the opener

Utah - If they can pass two non-conference tests with Pitt and ISU, they could run the table in the MWC with BYU and TCU both going to Salt Lake City. A late season trip to Notre Dame gives them a chance to perform on a national stage

Wisconsin - Bielema hasn't been able to win the big game or beat Iowa. If he can win the big game by beating OSU at home and then win at Kinnick, Wisconsin could have a shot

nileo

Apr 29, 2010
Grimes
The hawks will finish 9-3. They always seem to find a way to let down their fans when the hype machine gets going.... The hype machine in Iowa City is running full speed ahead. Uh oh....

They really only have had 'hype' once in the KF era and they stunk it up that year. This years team i see being the real deal in Iowa City. IF they can avoid injuries, this team has the capability to be very very good.

edr247

Aug 4, 2010
No team in the top ten can be a "dark horse". If Wisky runs the table and goes 12-0 while facing ranked OSU and ranked Iowa, I think they'll make it to the Big Game. Penn State would be my other Big 10 candidate. They'd be a true dark horse as they're predicted to finish 4th behind OSU, Iowa and Wisky. They would need a couple big breaks in the rest of the country to move into #1 or #2, but with their name, I think they could do it.

Pitt could, though they'd need to hurdle any undefeated teams from the Big 10, SEC, Big 12 or Pac 10.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Sticking with teams that are (in most polls) outside the top 10:

Miami

LSU

West Virginia

Addendum: These are teams I could see in the BCS title game, not necessarily winning it.

I don't really think Miami counts as a dark horse as a lot of the national media loves them. Also, I don't think a team with Jacory Harris at QB can go undefeated, he has an almost Stanziesque ability to turn the ball over.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
They really only have had 'hype' once in the KF era and they stunk it up that year. This years team i see being the real deal in Iowa City. IF they can avoid injuries, this team has the capability to be very very good.

IMO I think Stanzi can be forced into mistakes and he has a suspect offensive line going into the season. That could be a big problem spot. Iowa now has some questions at the running back spot as well with the vanishing act of their top RB.

On defense there is no doubt that they will have a good D-line. They did lose their best LB and they lost their stud CB who shut down half the field with his presence. Sash & Greenwood won't be able to benefit from him like they did last season and it will show. Their secondary IMO is going to be what causes them trouble this year.

Now if you look at Iowa's schedule you look for teams with great offensive lines that will most likely be able to neutralize their D-Line..... Wisconsin, Ohio State, and to a lessor extent ISU. Remember... ISU's O-line more then held their own last season against the hoks. Now if Arnaud can find a way to throw the ball to his receivers and not the defensive backs then we could give them a run for their money.

CyBroncos

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
No team in the top ten can be a "dark horse". If Wisky runs the table and goes 12-0 while facing ranked OSU and ranked Iowa, I think they'll make it to the Big Game. Penn State would be my other Big 10 candidate. They'd be a true dark horse as they're predicted to finish 4th behind OSU, Iowa and Wisky. They would need a couple big breaks in the rest of the country to move into #1 or #2, but with their name, I think they could do it.

Pitt could, though they'd need to hurdle any undefeated teams from the Big 10, SEC, Big 12 or Pac 10.

If Penn State is able to run the table by winning at Alabama, at Iowa and at tOSU then JoePa should be able to remain coach til he's 150

JustRedman

Jul 10, 2009
Gilbert
I don't really think Miami counts as a dark horse as a lot of the national media loves them. Also, I don't think a team with Jacory Harris at QB can go undefeated, he has an almost Stanziesque ability to turn the ball over.

Jacory was in his first year with new OC Whipple, plus he was a first year starter so to say he is Stanziesque is a bit premature. He is more Arnaudesque than anything. Stability goes a long ways in CFB and ISU and the U have had none to speak of in recent years.
The defensive recruiting class of '08 are rSo or Juniors this year and should be scary if they can play fundamentally sound and not just run around trying to knock people's heads off. RB Cooper won't be playing and Javaris James graduated so RB will be up in the air, but the WR corp is loaded. All in all, 7 players from Jacory Harris' Miami NW came to be a Cane and the chemistry should be off the charts with these kids. They do have to face Ohio State, VaTech, Clemson, GaTech, FSU this year but look to be on-par talent-wise with all those teams.
If Randy Shannon keeps his 2-game per season improvement going this year the Canes will finish 11-1 in the regular season and possibly play for ACC title (depending on if their 1 loss is to VaTech). I see them being a real contender for NC, they just have to play up to their expectations.

CyBroncos

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
Miami's schedule isn't kind to start the year. After opening with creampuff Florida A&M, they have three straight road games: at tOSU, at Pitt and at Clemson. Then in the three weeks after that, they get FSU and UNC at home. Harris better have improved if Miami is thinking double-digit wins and a BCS bowl

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Jacory was in his first year with new OC Whipple, plus he was a first year starter so to say he is Stanziesque is a bit premature. He is more Arnaudesque than anything. Stability goes a long ways in CFB and ISU and the U have had none to speak of in recent years.
The defensive recruiting class of '08 are rSo or Juniors this year and should be scary if they can play fundamentally sound and not just run around trying to knock people's heads off. RB Cooper won't be playing and Javaris James graduated so RB will be up in the air, but the WR corp is loaded. All in all, 7 players from Jacory Harris' Miami NW came to be a Cane and the chemistry should be off the charts with these kids. They do have to face Ohio State, VaTech, Clemson, GaTech, FSU this year but look to be on-par talent-wise with all those teams.
If Randy Shannon keeps his 2-game per season improvement going this year the Canes will finish 11-1 in the regular season and possibly play for ACC title (depending on if their 1 loss is to VaTech). I see them being a real contender for NC, they just have to play up to their expectations.

After seeing Miami just get smacked around by Wisconsin in "freezing" Orlando, I don't think that team is tough enough to go up an Ohio St, or Alabama or even Iowa's defense.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Butler. After shocking the world in college basketball, their football team will be the first non-fbs team to play in the National Championship. Crowds will boo and pine for a playoff system and the BCS fatcats will continue to laugh smoke their Cuban cigars.

*Note-This is not an endorsement of a playoff system, as I am actually against the concept.

AllIowaTeams

Jun 10, 2010
Grimes
IMO I think Stanzi can be forced into mistakes and he has a suspect offensive line going into the season. That could be a big problem spot. Iowa now has some questions at the running back spot as well with the vanishing act of their top RB.

On defense there is no doubt that they will have a good D-line. They did lose their best LB and they lost their stud CB who shut down half the field with his presence. Sash & Greenwood won't be able to benefit from him like they did last season and it will show. Their secondary IMO is going to be what causes them trouble this year.

Now if you look at Iowa's schedule you look for teams with great offensive lines that will most likely be able to neutralize their D-Line..... Wisconsin, Ohio State, and to a lessor extent ISU. Remember... ISU's O-line more then held their own last season against the hoks. Now if Arnaud can find a way to throw the ball to his receivers and not the defensive backs then we could give them a run for their money.

The (expected) Wegher loss is unfortunate, but not a big loss. He also was not their top RB. At best he was 1A, 1B, or 1C since none of the 3 had a leg up at this point. It is likely that once Hampton gets going he would end up as the #1 regardless of who is on the roster.

I am also not too worried in the secondary. Sash and Greenwood are very good safeties, and Prater is more than capable of replacing Spievey, but defenses will certainly test him.

Can you name the last time that Iowa had a bad linebacker corps?

My main worry is the offensive line at this point. Stanzi is reasonably elusive, but as we all know has had issues with making throws where you just kind of sit there with an open mouth thinking "WTF?" Future first rounder Reiff will be a great left tackle, but the rest of the line is certainly a question mark. The bright side for the offensive line is that the defense will have to respect the run so they won't be able to blitz frequently. DJK and McNutt will be a great 1/2, but Sandeman is not my ideal 3 WR.

At this point I can't see Iowa as a NC contender. After a few games once we see how the OL gels, and how the new LB's and the new CB do then perhaps that discussion might have some relevance. Right now it's a pipe dream.

nileo

Apr 29, 2010
Grimes

The thing i like about Stanzi is he wins. I can't remember a college QB who has been (what seems like) adequate, but wins that much. I don't like giving the hoks too much love, but I think they will be special this year. Their defensive front four are the best in CFB. with the exception of OL, they have a lot of key players back on offense. If stanzi can keep the mistakes down, they will be tough to beat. If I were a hawk fan I wouldn't be too upset w/ the wegher loss. Robinson and Hampton can more than carry the load....although having him would have helped.