YouTube TV Issue

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
I know there are alot of YTTV users on here so wanted to ask if anyone else is experiencing the following issue over the last couple months?

Problem: While watching specific channels (mostly sports), after a period of time (could be minutes or a couple hours), the picture quality degrades until it is unacceptable (fuzzy, obviously well below even acceptance levels for standard definition). If I open up stats for nerds and look at the connection speed when this happens, it is usually down in the 1MB range. If I change the channel to something else (mostly non sports) then the connection speed slowly recovers back up to around 65MB which is what I am used to.

I've had YTTV for 1.5 yrs with no problems until recently. Every other app works perfectly fine and not having internet issues on any devices so it is definitely something related to YTTV and specific channels even.

I'm in the DSM area. Anyone else experience this recently? Started with The French Open on the Tennis Channel and happened during the ISU game Saturday on FS1.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Doesn't sound like a YTTV issue to me as much as it does your ISP connection.

That makes no sense as everything else works perfectly fine. It's only a couple channels on YTTV. I'm on Mediacom BTW and have 1 TV on an ethernet connection and one on WiFi.
Googled around and found a lot of folks complaining of similar problems within the last 40 days or so, but over in the Boston area.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I know there are alot of YTTV users on here so wanted to ask if anyone else is experiencing the following issue over the last couple months?

Problem: While watching specific channels (mostly sports), after a period of time (could be minutes or a couple hours), the picture quality degrades until it is unacceptable (fuzzy, obviously well below even acceptance levels for standard definition). If I open up stats for nerds and look at the connection speed when this happens, it is usually down in the 1MB range. If I change the channel to something else (mostly non sports) then the connection speed slowly recovers back up to around 65MB which is what I am used to.

I've had YTTV for 1.5 yrs with no problems until recently. Every other app works perfectly fine and not having internet issues on any devices so it is definitely something related to YTTV and specific channels even.

I'm in the DSM area. Anyone else experience this recently? Started with The French Open on the Tennis Channel and happened during the ISU game Saturday on FS1.

I have the same issue with sporting events. My PC had been on wifi, so I ran an ethernet to it to see if it would prevent that. It didn't. Tested consistently at 100 mb down, 100 mb up, but those channels still have issues.

Reactions: isuno1fan

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
You could try clearing your YTTV cache but I agree with wxman1, more likely your internet connection.
I've cleared the cache, deleted the app and re-installed, etc. It's not the internet connection, it is definitely YTTV. If it was the internet connection, I'd have problems on the other apps or with our phones/tablets/laptops and those are non-existant.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
I've had the same issue but only with ESPN (it looked like trash). I thought it was the internet, but our game came in crystal clear without any issues. Something is definitely amiss. Or at least was this weekend.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
I have the same issue with sporting events. My PC had been on wifi, so I ran an ethernet to it to see if it would prevent that. It didn't. Tested consistently at 100 mb down, 100 mb up, but those channels still have issues.

Bingo...thank you for validating my observation. Thinking of moving to Fubo if this continues.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
I've cleared the cache, deleted the app and re-installed, etc. It's not the internet connection, it is definitely YTTV. If it was the internet connection, I'd have problems on the other apps or with our phones/tablets/laptops and those are non-existant.
Okay, you said you changed channels, not app.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019

i've noticed this a few times.. like last night for instance. Sport channel will go a little fuzzy and load but I switch channels and its fine.

I just attribute it to an internet issue. But still a little strange it seems to only happen on sports channels or while watching sports.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Bingo...thank you for validating my observation. Thinking of moving to Fubo as if this continues.

Yeah, it definitely seems like something gets bogged down whenever there are too many of their users watching something. I've been seeing this for the last several weeks, and always on sports (which makes sense as sports are the most viewed programs).

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Yeah, it definitely seems like something gets bogged down whenever there are too many of their users watching something. I've been seeing this for the last several weeks, and always on sports (which makes sense as sports are the most viewed programs).
I've wondered if it some sort of bandwidth issue on their side with the uptick in people moving to streaming and the popularity of live sports. Was surprised it would happen to me when watching some early round matches in the French Open however....not like those are commanding huge audiences so not sure on the theory.

IOWASTATE

Oct 29, 2007
Ames
Feel free to blast away if this is a “duh” fix. (It was a problem for me being non tech). The resolution within the app was set to ‘auto’ instead of a fixed resolution and YTTv was auto adjusting to like 480p despite a faster resolution available. I had to set it to either 720 or 1080.

• Informative
Reactions: usedcarguy

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Was it an issue this weekend only? Would make sense if so. I was only able to watch Iowa State all weekend.
No...happened a few weeks ago during the French Open too. When the connection speed on that specific channel goes sour, the guide doesn't populate either when you pull it up in some cases. Gonna keep fighting through it and hope it improves, but made the ISU game almost unbearable to watch in the 2nd half on Saturday (Purdy made it unbearable in the 1st half...har har)

Yaz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 29, 2018
I have had YTTV for probably 2 years with no issue. Just lately I have had a delay with audio vs video(Out of sync) at times with YTTV that just started. Not sure what is up with that.

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
Did you try watching the same game through the ESPN app instead of yttv on the same device? Just curious, because then you could narrow it down to yttv instead of a possible ESPN issue.

• Agree
Reactions: 1100011CS