Yowzza, what a great nite..........

cmhawks99

Nov 15, 2008
Bourbonnais, Il
I got to see one fan base rationalize and "excuse" why their division champion that averaged 500 pts a game played terrible and the other team played out of their head.............(you know the kind of thing apparently only Iowa fans do......... :jimlad:No seriously, Mizzou did play bad…………:wideeyed: Of course NW’s D had nothing to do with it and if it were the other way around all bets are off.....right?!

I got to witness a team from a "sloooooowww" conference run up & down the field stride for stride with Lbers, Sftys and Cb's covering a team from a "fast" conferences best Wr's.

I got to see Chase Daniel get rattled yet again (watched him a bunch this year) when a team put even a modicum of pressure on him....yeah I know he played bad...(someone should que in the announcers as they seem to think he has done it before when someone played "defense" against them)

I got to see people excuse his “long†passes as a bad night despite the fact there was a “slow†NW defender in their Wr’s Jock.

I got to see NW spot Mizzou incredible field position ALL game because they were so afraid of Maclin (bonus: I have Maclin on a Bowl fantasy team) and still punched them in the mouth, albeit running stride for stride with them.

We also found some things out..............

We found out the Big 10's offenses aren't much to brag about but they are fairly efficient and that wasn't near the best one.

We found out NW who has at best the number 4 rated D in the conference does indeed play fast aggressive D.

We found out the announcers weren't qued in on the conspiracy to never admit the Big 10 just might be better than people hoped.

We found out that Pat Fitzgerald is a heck of a coach.

We found out that if you brutalize people when they catch the ball in front of you the spread can be tempered and greatly slowed.

Just like NP has stressed at Iowa for years.

We found out that the Big 12 and Big 10 are very competitive with each other.

We found out Mizzou has a little more heart than I’d thought & decent Defensive talent, but either poor coaching or poor scheming or both.

We found out that Bowl games are still a lot of fun regardless of whether people like the BCS or not.

And most importantly because I hedged, I took Mizzou outright and while the odds were poor I still won "some" credits. The over however did kill me and I honestly thought better.

What a night.

Chad

PS…………..we also found out that there are a lot of good natured ISU fans who aren’t wearing blinders and just like good football.

PSS.....We also found out that most Iowa/Big 10 fans aren’t dumb enough to think they were “better†than the Big 12 this year. They just don’t want people trying to rationalize that any team with 22 players could compete for a Big 10 Championship. The conference as a rule is QB poor but they still have plenty of fast defenders and quality O-linemen with very tough shifty Tb's!

PSS...........Daniel is decent but IMO the 7th or 8th best QB in the Big 12 and not at all sure fire NFLer as a buddy of mine over here claims....:no:

PSSS........I think Mizzou will drop like a rcok next year and you will beat them. In fact I think CU, KU and possibly K-st will be up and the rest of the North will be "ripe"

Last edited:
Reactions: mj4cy

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
Ahhhh true that, very, very true..................I'm just playing around anyway and you are always a fun poster so please I hope I wasn't "strong"

Chad

No, no. Just having some fun...sort of. :smile:

I think Iowa will win their game. I kind of would have liked NW to win, but would also like the Big 10 to lose some status by stinking it up. I don't know what other Big 10 teams really have a great shot. Maybe MSU, but maybe not.

Kinky F

Apr 24, 2006
I don't think we can say 2 conferences are competitive based on one bowl game between 2 out of 23 teams. Mizzou is probably the 6th best team in the Big 12 at the end of the year, behind OU, Texas, Tech, OSU, and KU (who beat them straight up). I think Pinkel is awful, with all that talent and still lose 4 games. I think Fitzgerald is solid.

Basically, you are right, Mizzou and Daniel played terrible, some of that had to do with NW, and NW played well (maybe more Big 10 teams should use the spread?), and Mizzou still won. Good try.

cmhawks99

Nov 15, 2008
Bourbonnais, Il
No, no. Just having some fun...sort of. :smile:

I think Iowa will win their game. I kind of would have liked NW to win, but would also like the Big 10 to lose some status by stinking it up. I don't know what other Big 10 teams really have a great shot. Maybe MSU, but maybe not.

Honestly, and yes I'm being serious and no I don't still smoke marijuana.....:cool:
I don't like MSU's chances as much as I do say PSU or tOSU. As far as Iowa goes, our major malfunction of late (3 and a half years) is consistency and focus. If we are ready to play we could beat knots on their head. If not we could get stone walled and lose an ugly 13-7 game. I'm not trying to take anything away from our competition, but you've seen us play. When we "get" it we can beat most anyone. Sadly we can lose to most anyone as well. Paging Western Michigan…….:confused:

Too tell you the truth I'm am very intrigued by that KU, Minne game. I'm not high on Minne, but KU can really get lost at times and neither of them in my mind play a speck of D, so who knows it could be 52-45.

MSU I feel has played on vapors all year (though talk about a team that can look terrible at times, Georgia is it) and I like PSU’s guts and their all-time Bowl record. They should be ready, I’d think. As for tOSU they are a great anomaly and I will wait to see on them........:dull:

Chad

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
I didn't get to see it, but it must have been a good game. Gotta admit I thought Missouri would win it easier than that. Then again, I also thought Iowa was a bad team this year, but they really finished strong (hallmark of a Ferentz team, improvement throughout the year).

I'll admit the Big 10 isn't as bad top to bottom as I thought. However they are weak at the top compared to the Big 12, SEC, and Pac 10 (read: USC).

cmhawks99

Nov 15, 2008
Bourbonnais, Il
I don't think we can say 2 conferences are competitive based on one bowl game between 2 out of 23 teams. Mizzou is probably the 6th best team in the Big 12 at the end of the year, behind OU, Texas, Tech, OSU, and KU (who beat them straight up). I think Pinkel is awful, with all that talent and still lose 4 games. I think Fitzgerald is solid.

Basically, you are right, Mizzou and Daniel played terrible, some of that had to do with NW, and NW played well (maybe more Big 10 teams should use the spread?), and Mizzou still won. Good try.

With all due respect intended Mizzou won the bid and while I agree, they weren't all that, your brethren over here have disagreed. For what it is worth, NW would have beat KU in my opinion. Mizzou's D sucks but they do have NFL talent, KU not so much this year.

We had a 800 pg thread over here based on a terrible Wisco getting rolled by FSU, what are you talking about one game.

Sure they won they were a 12 pt fav and I bet on them. It wasn't supposed to be close let alone a drag out, mud stompin, fist fight where a "slow" team proved plenty fast enough to run down the field with them stride for stride. So yes it showed a lot.

I hate the spread and too me it has reached it's pinnacle. You still, even with a terrific back like Sutton, can't be a dominating, clock burning run team in the spread. When you have speedy Lbers & DB's who can hit hard and tackle the spread is very beatable. NW as you may or may not know has a nice D, but they aren't the fastest in the Big 10. Though they may indeed be the most physical.

Give me a Pro-style offense that uses all components.

Chad

Last edited:

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
That being said, I would love to see Penn State rip USC into shreds in the Rose Bowl. Not gonna happen but I do like JoePa.

cmhawks99

Nov 15, 2008
Bourbonnais, Il
LOL! You just gained some cred...

Wow, thanks I sincerely appreciate that.............however the truth is the truth. I don't want to trivialize FSU's win as they were clearly the better team. With that said I heard some really boorish comments attributed to BB at half time (didn't hear, but read about them) and their players during a banquet. Plus they were gouging them with the run game, and decided to throw behind the line flair passes that were bounced up for 75 yard pick 6‘s. Honestly they are and were terrible this year. I don't know if the wheels are coming off or it was just one of those years.

Chad

Last edited:

cmhawks99

Nov 15, 2008
Bourbonnais, Il
I didn't get to see it, but it must have been a good game. Gotta admit I thought Missouri would win it easier than that. Then again, I also thought Iowa was a bad team this year, but they really finished strong (hallmark of a Ferentz team, improvement throughout the year).

I'll admit the Big 10 isn't as bad top to bottom as I thought. However they are weak at the top compared to the Big 12, SEC, and Pac 10 (read: USC).

No problem agreeing with that per se. I do think PSU & tOSU will make a good showing but I wouldn't put them in that "elite" 5 or 6 team group.

Chad

RotatingColumn

Oct 21, 2008
Does Iowa have a good defense?

NW against Iowa... 22 points
NW against Missouri... 23 points

So if Missouri can't play D...

isuchicago

Apr 11, 2006
Honestly, and yes I'm being serious and no I don't still smoke marijuana.....:cool:
I don't like MSU's chances as much as I do say PSU or tOSU. As far as Iowa goes, our major malfunction of late (3 and a half years) is consistency and focus. If we are ready to play we could beat knots on their head. If not we could get stone walled and lose an ugly 13-7 game. I'm not trying to take anything away from our competition, but you've seen us play. When we "get" it we can beat most anyone. Sadly we can lose to most anyone as well. Paging Western Michigan…….:confused:

Too tell you the truth I'm am very intrigued by that KU, Minne game. I'm not high on Minne, but KU can really get lost at times and neither of them in my mind play a speck of D, so who knows it could be 52-45.

MSU I feel has played on vapors all year (though talk about a team that can look terrible at times, Georgia is it) and I like PSU’s guts and their all-time Bowl record. They should be ready, I’d think. As for tOSU they are a great anomaly and I will wait to see on them........:dull:

Chad

Georgia lost more than 20 players to season ending injuries and their star in the secondary was playing with a broken hand.. he's healed up and some of the 6 linebackers theyve lost to injuries are.. UGA should still be deep enough to dominate this one.. I would be surprised if MSU stopped georgias high powered offense more than once or twice.. this will be the best offense they've gone up against and MSUs defense is even more sketchy than the 2nd string georgia defense that is playing.

I dont think PSU gets blown out as bad as the spartans but still not gonna be a good game.. thats what I hate about this year.. the "big games" aren't even going to be close with the exception of the iowa/south carolina game, which somehow will probably be more boring than the blow outs.. 13-10, 13-9.. dont care who wins, I'm not watching

Bubbahotep

Jul 23, 2008
Des Moines
I thought we had a big chip on our shoulder. That was an awfully long rant about a team that got beat. NW played a good game, but Missouri won. I thought hawkeye fans didn't believe in moral victories.

C

Cyclone42

A really long posting for what was an entirely unsurprising game. Your argument is based (I think) on pre-season expectations: the 4th-best team in the B10 had a competitive game against what was supposed to be one of the best teams in the B12. But if pre-season expectations were reality, we'd all have extremely good teams.

The reality is that Missouri is the 6th-best team in the B12. So the 4th-best team in the B10 had a competitive game against the 6th-best team in the B12. Not surprising.