Zach Johnson - One Hit Wonder?

CyCy

Nov 7, 2006
Last year Zach Johnson won the Masters and the AT&T Classic and finished with just under $4,000,000 in winnings.

After playing in the John Deere tournament this weekend I see he is currently ranked 114 on the money list at around $556,000. He has made the cut in 12 of 15 events that he entered, but has only finished better than 20th one time.

I think he had some injury problems, but that is quite a drop off in a one year period.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
Re: Zack Johnson - One Hit Wonder?

Isn't he a Hawk fan? I realize he went to Drake, but I seem to recall he cheers for Iowa. Leave it to a Hawk to capitalize on a short run of glory.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I hope I can be a one hit wonder that goes on to win over 500k the next year.

kmcbrid

Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
www.municipalgame.com
Many golfers are like this. The only win 1 or 2 big tournaments in their career and a few others. They play every week, make cuts, and make big bucks. Really doesn't matter if he is a 1 time winner or not.

powerpighello

Jul 14, 2008

Isn't he a Hawk fan? I realize he went to Drake, but I seem to recall he cheers for Iowa. Leave it to a Hawk to capitalize on a short run of glory.
seriously? This is the stuff that proves the stereotype that ISU fans are consumed with all things Iowa. Some of you guys can spin anything into a Hawkeye bashing...

Reactions: bos

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
He is certainly looking like he is a one hit wonder at this point. The issues that he is having with his game recently are all ones that can be fixed, but I don't think that is the issue. He just doesn't have the game overall IMO to win another major. It was a great win, but also one in which the course, conditions, circumstances all worked in his favor. That being said, it doesn't diminish the huge victory that he got.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny

seriously? This is the stuff that proves the stereotype that ISU fans are consumed with all things Iowa. Some of you guys can spin anything into a Hawkeye bashing...

Heh, welcome to the board and get used to it, it's July

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006

Nah, I got tired of hearing about him long before I found that out. Live in eastern Iowa, and there was a point when you heard about him on every single newscast.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I think he CAN win another major, but he has to figure out what's going on with his game. I certainly wouldn't call him a one hit wonder. He has been racking up top 20 finishes for years. You don't make a Ryder Cup or President's Cup as a one hit wonder. Right now his mid game is terrible, which could be due to his wrist. Even if it is fully healed, it is hard to tell yourself that as you accelerate a club at 100 mph, your body will naturally let up, causing wayward shots. When he convinces himself he is fully healed and gets the consistancy back, he will win again.

Distance is overrated in golf (coming from a long hitter). It's all about fairways and greens...

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Of course he is....Had you heard of him before the Masters...nope, not me and I'm from Iowa and like golf.

He'll have a fine career, but his days of challenging for major titles are likely few and far between if he ever does again.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Golf is a funny game. Even the freakish best go through slumps. He may be a one hit wonder but we'll need a couple more years to know. I live in CR and I'm sick of hearing about him but he's a good guy.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
When I think of guys that just disappeared from the game of golf, I still think of Duval.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Of course he is....Had you heard of him before the Masters...nope, not me and I'm from Iowa and like golf.

He'll have a fine career, but his days of challenging for major titles are likely few and far between if he ever does again.

In 2004 he got his first win and finished with over $2.4 Million, with 5 top 10's

In 2005 he finished 2nd at the Buick, 3rd at the Ford, 8th at the Players, and 8th at Bay Hill, all full field events

2006, another $2.4 Mill, 4 top 10's, including a second at the Memorial, a full field event.

2007, just under $4 Mill, 5 top tens and two wins, including the Masters, a second at the Tour Championship, and 9th at the WGC.

I would say he is already NOT a one hit wonder...

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
It depends on if by "one hit wonder" you mean a "one time major winner" or if you mean "won a few tournaments and probably never will again".

The former, I could agree with. That tournament kinda came to him, and the style of golf he plays.

The later, I don't think so. He certainly CAN be a top 25 golfer, but I don't think he's consistently there.

By those definitions, though, there really aren't many "non" 1 hit wonders in golf. Tiger, Phil....maybe Vijay, but he's been going through a rough patch. Most of the other golfers, even major winners, have gone through similar spells to Zach.

CTAClone

Addict
Mar 28, 2006
Amerika
I think it really shows how on top of your game you have to be to compete on the PGA. It really shows how great Woods and Mickelson are. They've been the top players for years while others show up 1 year and disappear the next.

1 stroke swing and he's not making as much money.

70.95 2007 Scoring Avg. Zach Johnson
71.67 2008 Scoring Avg. Zach Johnson

83Clone

Apr 27, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I think "one hit wonder" is a bit harsh, but I wouldn't put him in the class with the top 10 players in the world.

He could win another major, but he just doesn't hit it far enough off the tee to consistantly compete. He's hitting 7 irons in when the bombers are hitting wedges-do the math

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
In 2004 he got his first win and finished with over $2.4 Million, with 5 top 10's

In 2005 he finished 2nd at the Buick, 3rd at the Ford, 8th at the Players, and 8th at Bay Hill, all full field events

2006, another $2.4 Mill, 4 top 10's, including a second at the Memorial, a full field event.

2007, just under $4 Mill, 5 top tens and two wins, including the Masters, a second at the Tour Championship, and 9th at the WGC.

I would say he is already NOT a one hit wonder...

Still had never heard of him before he won the Masters and by comparison, I absolutely knew who Rocco Mediate was before the US Open.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Still had never heard of him before he won the Masters and by comparison, I absolutely knew who Rocco Mediate was before the US Open.

Then you probably weren't paying much attention to golf. I had no idea he was from Iowa when he was dominating the now Nationwide tour then making a huge run as a rookie on tour. Anyone who paid attention knew he was a real deal...

He could win another major, but he just doesn't hit it far enough off the tee to consistantly compete. He's hitting 7 irons in when the bombers are hitting wedges-do the math

again, distance is overrated, if he is hitting 7 irons from the fairway he still has an advantage over a wedge from the rough.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron