Zach Johnson

JHpsyclonz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa City
Went to the Zach Johnson thing @ Finkbine on Friday night. It was for flood relief and was pretty neat to watch even though it rained the whole time. At the end of the night it was really coming down and my family and I were some of the few still left watching. Zach was coming off the 18th green when we asked him for autographs and he said let me through and I'll sign later. We obliged, then waited outside the clubhouse in the rain for 20 more minutes with about 10 other people. Chris Dimarco and Todd Hamilton each came out and signed for fans and finally when Zach came out he ignored all of us and rushed off to the VIP tent without signing or even looking in our direction. There was an older guy who was waiting with us who said he has been following Zach for a long time. He was devastated by the way Zach blew us off. We all thought that was a pretty weak thing to do being that it was a fun event for charity and we waited in the rain and the fact that he said he would sign. I definitely have a different opinion of Zach Johnson after that.
Posted via Mobile Device

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Pretty sickening how Iowa pumps him as their own... although he went to Drake. Watching him walk around at halftime holding up his Iowa sweatshirt was kind of annoying.

Glad he donated a lot of money, dont get me wrong.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Zach Johnson quote in Ragister today “Iowa State is kind of like the second (school),â€￾ he blurted. “There really isn’t much going on there.â€￾Keeler: Johnson and friends do their part for state | DesMoinesRegister.com | The Des Moines Register

Needless to say, I am no longer a Zach Johnson fan.

Yet he went to Drake, not Iowa. He sounds like he is part of the Iowa fan base that we dont like. Honestly I dont think he wanted ISU fans there. There doesnt look to be any ISU staff involved with the event and when they would advertise it was aimed at Iowa fans and the message to ISU fans was I guess you can come if you want.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
Zach Johnson is a typical Hawk. Didn't go to school there, doesn't know **** about their team but knows how to say Go Hawks.

I would call him some bad names but he did raise/donate a good chunk of change

Last edited by a moderator:

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Yeah I got a kick out of the halftime thing. Iowa fans cheered him like he was their own and we just said "didn't he go to Drake?" I guess he has the same thing in common as us and a lot of Hawk fans as we all didn't go to the University of Iowa...

Psyclone

Mar 18, 2006
Oakland>Ames>Cedar Rapids
Zach's parents are big Hawkeye fans and good people and he grew up when the Hawkeyes had some good football and basketball teams. Zach probably had other things he considered more important than being held up for autographs. I don't think he is a bad person. He just has a lot more demands on his time. Zach owes a lot to some people that invested in him to get his career started and he may have felt it more important to meet with them, than some anonymous fans. Give him a break.

JHpsyclonz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa City
Uhh there were 10 of us. It was a charity event. We waited in the rain after he said he would sign. Dimarco and Hamilton signed. And it was like a home town event for Zach so you would think he would try to make a positive impression on the few people that hung around for him. I mean how long does it take to sign your name 10 times? I think it is more along the lines that he knows his autograph is probably worth something and that now he is famous he thinks he is a step above. Plus I know a guy who played with him in the pro am earlier in the day who said he was kind of a jerk. He said that the only reason Zach came back to do the event was because Aegon put pressure on him to do it.
Posted via Mobile Device

CLONE2THEBONE

Aug 4, 2006
Uhh there were 10 of us. It was a charity event. We waited in the rain after he said he would sign. Dimarco and Hamilton signed. And it was like a home town event for Zach so you would think he would try to make a positive impression on the few people that hung around for him. I mean how long does it take to sign your name 10 times? I think it is more along the lines that he knows his autograph is probably worth something and that now he is famous he thinks he is a step above. Plus I know a guy who played with him in the pro am earlier in the day who said he was kind of a jerk. He said that the only reason Zach came back to do the event was because Aegon put pressure on him to do it.
Posted via Mobile Device

I find it more troubling that a grown man wanted his signature, but I don't understand autographs at all.

Every person in the world says Zach is a great guy but you and some guy you know in the pro am.

If he were a Clone fan, you'd likely look at it differently.

JHpsyclonz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa City
Because I was at the Masters and have a pin flag from the tournament that would look pretty nice with the signature of a past champion on it. Besides I live in Iowa City and many of my friends are Hawk fans and that has no bearing on my opinion of people. I could care less who his favorite team is.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited:

cyclonez7

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
I was there and I had ISU gear on. I got soaked, but it was pretty cool.

Last edited:

Jambalaya

May 29, 2008
Zach's parents are big Hawkeye fans and good people and he grew up when the Hawkeyes had some good football and basketball teams. Zach probably had other things he considered more important than being held up for autographs. I don't think he is a bad person. He just has a lot more demands on his time. Zach owes a lot to some people that invested in him to get his career started and he may have felt it more important to meet with them, than some anonymous fans. Give him a break.
Many people in CR thinks he's a jerk, not just ISU people.

Give me Kurt Warner---truly nice guy who walks the walk.

Hawkeye11en1

Apr 22, 2011
Colorado
Many people in CR thinks he's a jerk, not just ISU people.

Give me Kurt Warner---truly nice guy who walks the walk.

He was nice to me when I met him. Very nice, actually. And the general consensus of the people on the tour is that he is a great guy. He's good friends with Matt Kuchar, and he is as well liked as anyone on the tour.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I'm going to switch gears here and ask why you would wait in the rain for anyone's autograph, let alone a run of the mill PGA tour player.