Zero turn mowers

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
So we are buying a new house in a couple weeks with fairly big yard. My one purchase that I really want to get is a zero turn mower to speed the mowing process up a little. Been looking for a while now to see what is out there. I am considering good used ones as well, I don't need it to be brand new. My question is, is there anyone here that can give me some advice? I have about a handful spotted but not sure if there are some better ones out there. Basically curious if big box stores residential models are as good as some more used to commercial models. Would a person be better buying an almost new big box store John Deere or buying a commercial mower that has just over 1000 hours. Thanks for any advice given.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
  • Lots of options out there. John Deere makes a good mower, but they are expensive and repairs aren't cheap. I bought a Hustler 48 inch Sport several years ago. Paid $3,400. Dual Hydrostatic transmission drives. Welded Deck. Pretty heavy duty for a residential model.
Definitely get full hydrostatic. Welded Deck.

• Agree
Reactions: JimmyChitwood

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
I have a non industrial Toro, zero turn. Its a nice mower for a good price. I can mow tall weeds in my cattle lots with no problem. I also love the job it does with the yard.

CYCLONE STATE

Dec 8, 2007
Clive
I have a Hustler sport 48 inch also. It has a Honda engine and has been great. Probably had it around 6 years with no problems.

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
I have a Hustler sport 48 inch also. It has a Honda engine and has been great. Probably had it around 6 years with no problems.
For my money, I'd go with the used commercial mower. The John Deere at Lowes may not be the same as the John Deere at a John Deere Dealer. Commercial mowers are FAR more durable and essentially anything that breaks can be rebuilt. I have a Schweiss that's close to 30 years old that someone put a new motor on - 27-Horse Kohler. It has a 6-foot deck and can mow ACRES.

Bluffers

Sep 16, 2009
Ames
I run a Gravely ZT54. Welded deck, dual hydro, Kawasaki motor. I believe these are the Toro professional line. Not many used ones around for good reason. Doesn't cost much more to go first class.

Tedcyclone

Oct 27, 2009
West Des Moines
So we are buying a new house in a couple weeks with fairly big yard. My one purchase that I really want to get is a zero turn mower to speed the mowing process up a little. Been looking for a while now to see what is out there. I am considering good used ones as well, I don't need it to be brand new. My question is, is there anyone here that can give me some advice? I have about a handful spotted but not sure if there are some better ones out there. Basically curious if big box stores residential models are as good as some more used to commercial models. Would a person be better buying an almost new big box store John Deere or buying a commercial mower that has just over 1000 hours. Thanks for any advice given.

Cub Cadet with the steering wheel. Although the Bad Boy mowers go faster. Agree with previous poster on the welded deck.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: ST8TAILG8R

cornclone

Sep 8, 2012
I would agree with the others on going the used commercial machine route. Much better initial build quality and overall longevity. I have a Ferris IS500z with a 44 inch deck and I love it. McKim tractor in Oskaloosa (Ferris dealer) has an annual inventory reduction auction in the spring, usually around early April. If you're willing to wait that long, there's usually deals to be had.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
I have an Ariens ZTR. My only complaint is that, even when I'm really careful, the zero-turn feature tears up my grass. I have many bare spots in my yard where this has happened.

When it comes to mowers, I favor buying from a dealer and not a big box store. If you don't buy from them, sometimes they're dicks about doing repairs/maintenance for you. I have noticed recently, however, that Home Depot is now selling mowers that are on consignment from implement dealers. So it may not matter.

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
I have an Ariens ZTR. My only complaint is that, even when I'm really careful, the zero-turn feature tears up my grass. I have many bare spots in my yard where this has happened.

When it comes to mowers, I favor buying from a dealer and not a big box store. If you don't buy from them, sometimes they're dicks about doing repairs/maintenance for you. I have noticed recently, however, that Home Depot is now selling mowers that are on consignment from implement dealers. So it may not matter.

I borrowed a friends ztr this summer when mine was broke and I did notice his did tear the grass in a couple spots.

Here is my dilemma, I am willing to spend $2-2500 on a good mower. I don't want a money pit but I know that things happen and need repairs. I have a couple commercial JD ztr mowers spotted but my only fear with those is being costly when it comes to repairs. So I guess I'm trying to weigh the cost of having a good reliable mower versus a good commercial mower but expensive to repair.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I borrowed a friends ztr this summer when mine was broke and I did notice his did tear the grass in a couple spots.

Here is my dilemma, I am willing to spend $2-2500 on a good mower. I don't want a money pit but I know that things happen and need repairs. I have a couple commercial JD ztr mowers spotted but my only fear with those is being costly when it comes to repairs. So I guess I'm trying to weigh the cost of having a good reliable mower versus a good commercial mower but expensive to repair.

I don't know how big you yard is going to be but with that price range I'm guessing it's not huge. I'd go with a Toro, Hustler, or Walker. My parents have a Walker and I really like it because you run it with one hand and it's able to get very close to everything.

clonebb

Oct 23, 2015
Cub Cadet with the steering wheel. Although the Bad Boy mowers go faster. Agree with previous poster on the welded deck.

Second this. Love my Cub Cadet with the steering wheel. Go to P & P Small Engines if you are near Des Moines. I got mine there and it was used.

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
I don't know how big you yard is going to be but with that price range I'm guessing it's not huge. I'd go with a Toro, Hustler, or Walker. My parents have a Walker and I really like it because you run it with one hand and it's able to get very close to everything.

The lawn is around 3/4 of an acre. It's not huge but has things to manuever around so figured a ztr would be faster.