OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
I give em credit for the effort.

seriously? did ya read it? here is a gem:

"To help match the energy use in the stadium and for travel we are going to purchase carbon offset from the Colorado Carbon Fund, a program of the governor's energy office," Bohn said.

-keep

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
That is a great idea, I hope that it succeeds and encourages other schools to follow suit.

Now I'll wait for all the self-proclaimed liberal/hippy haters to start bashing the "nonsense of going green."

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Another Gem:

"The net cost to the institution should virtually be zero," Bohn said.

when a leader of fiscal responsibility uses "should be" or "virtual".. it won't be.

-keep

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
If you think about it, there really isn't a whole lot sold out of concessions that can't be recycled or made out of renewable resources. Bottles, cups, containers.

Most all of that can be made of bio-materials (good for the Iowa farmer as well).

I volunteered at the DSM Art Festival this year. That was a point of emphasis for them this time around. Apparently that was the number one suggestion/complaint from last years event - there was no recycling effort. This year they only sold cans or containers made from corn product (or so they say :wink:)

I'm all for conservation and the green effort. But will admit I'm rather skeptical of this whole "carbon credit" idea. I'm sure some of the programs have merit and mean well. I'm sure plenty of others are little darker that shady.

Last edited:

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
I think it is a good idea in general, and I am all for less night games (opening can of worms...). Less waste is usually good.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
That is a great idea, I hope that it succeeds and encourages other schools to follow suit.

Now I'll wait for all the self-proclaimed liberal/hippy haters to start bashing the "nonsense of going green."

I am a pretty far right person, as most of you know, who does not believe in anthropogenic global warming. However, I am a huge proponent for recycling, renewable energy and fuels, and biomass fuels. I just don't want the government mandating things, nor do I believe in the whole carbon credit thing. It is in my opinion a scam.

Please don't try to paint everybody with the same wide brush. Many on the right care just as much about the environment as those on the left, we just think that individual responsibilty and the private sector are where the best solutions are to be found.

Reactions: LindenCy

matmann22

Dec 31, 2007
Pleasant Hill
matmann22.spaces.live.com
Any word on how they are going to reduce the carbon footprint of all the fans driving their vehicles from all over the Rocky Mountains to go to the game ? Last time I checked, tailgaters weren't coming on mass transit or Prius's. I would think that would be far worse for the planet than what goes down in the stadium.

Where can I apply for money from the Colorado fund when I plant trees in my yard latter this year ? I know I live in Iowa but it never hurts to try !

Someone already made this point but I want to repeat it. I'm all for recycle, reuse, and dont waste when it economically possible even though I dont believe in the ecolefts beliefs...

Phaedrus

Jan 13, 2008
Khorasan
Dumb question: How environmentally "impactful" is a stand "full" of 150 sleeping people?

Because I've never seen Colorado "fans" actually show up to a home game....

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
LOL, carbon credits. The biggest scam/farce in the history of mankind!

We can 'sin' (go anti-green) freely as long as we are rich enough to pay for it. Guys like Al Gore have a good gig because there are so many people with a guilty conscience that have tons of extra money to buy carbon credits.

How can anyone take this carbon credit crap seriously?

ia8manfan

Apr 12, 2006
Philadelphia
LOL, carbon credits. The biggest scam/farce in the history of mankind!

We can 'sin' (go anti-green) freely as long as we are rich enough to pay for it. Guys like Al Gore have a good gig because there are so many people with a guilty conscience that have tons of extra money to buy carbon credits.

How can anyone take this carbon credit crap seriously?

My family farms 5000 acres of oxygen-creating corn and soybeans, so I have carbon credits to spend :biglaugh:

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
My family farms 5000 acres of oxygen-creating corn and soybeans, so I have carbon credits to spend :biglaugh:

You my friend get extra carbon credits since your corn and soybeans are also taking carbon out of the air! :wink: