Zion Williamson could possibly sue Nike?

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Sure, and why not Puma or Adidas? I don't follow the sneaker wars all that closely but my impression was that it's Nike and UA and then everyone else fighting for relative scraps.

Yeah, that was a joke.

Adidas has a pretty decent list of NBA players they rep. Not sure about anyone outside the big three though.

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
Simmons had already been selected number one before he got hurt so not really the same thing.

It's analogous, they'll take Zion and have him sit his rookie year worst case

Joel Embid

Yeah, It's not really the same as Simmons. If it's a serious enough injury to put him on the shelf the rest ofthe year, Embiid and Michael Porter are closest I can think of. Kyrie also only played in about 10 games his year at Duke, but he did come back in time for the tournament, so I think he still went number 1.

A more extreme example is the running back the Niners picked (Lattimore - I think) that had a pretty horrific knee injury (Willis McGahee too) and fell to the point where he was a mid round pick. Not a doctor, but Zion's injury didn't look that bad. I'd bet he's back this year and still the number 1 pick.

For some reason, I think he's the kind of guy that is more interested in trying to play for a NC than sitting out and counting his millions, which he's still going to get.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Don't get me wrong, it sucks to see any player get hurt but the one positive was maybe he wouldn't be mentioned on ESPN every 5 minutes. Wishful thinking I guess.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Apparently the NBA just formally proposed moving the age from 19 to 18 to the players union. I assume the NBA wants something in return though.

I saw that prompt from the ESPN app, too.

Not sure what the bargain is, but it would be a step in the right direction.

Football at least has some case that an 18 year old is not physically ready for the brutality of the game at the NFL level. That is not the case in the NBA.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
0% chance he would win in a legal battle vs Nike. A shoe couldn't handle a guy his size? No way! He didn't blow his knee and he'll still be the #1 pick. What is he looking to get compensated for?

It would hurt his long term monetary value in his future shoe deal. UA/Puma/adidas: "So if you blow out our shoe, will you sue us too?"

• Winner
Reactions: isutrevman

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I saw that prompt from the ESPN app, too.

Not sure what the bargain is, but it would be a step in the right direction.

Football at least has some case that an 18 year old is not physically ready for the brutality of the game at the NFL level. That is not the case in the NBA.

For the most part I agree, but even in the NFL's case there should be an exemption path for some players who are clearly physically ready to compete. The two most NFL ready quarterbacks in college football couldn't have entered the draft this year even if they wanted to. And you could make the case that the better of those two guys is still two years away from being able to enter the draft. Most eighteen and nineteen year olds aren't ready to make the leap, but three years out of high school is too long for some of the elite college players.

• Agree
Reactions: Sigmapolis

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I’ll ask this seriously. Why are there not one, but now two Zion Williamson threads in the ISU men’s basketball forum?

Yup, some just have trouble understanding the forum structure of CycloneFanatic.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
0% chance he would win in a legal battle vs Nike. A shoe couldn't handle a guy his size? No way! He didn't blow his knee and he'll still be the #1 pick. What is he looking to get compensated for?

It would hurt his long term monetary value in his future shoe deal. UA/Puma/adidas: "So if you blow out our shoe, will you sue us too?"

Yeah, it's an interesting concept to write about, but some people see articles like this and then they assume that Zion is actually considering it (I doubt he is). The kid gets painted in a bad light for no reason at all. I guess I would have just written it a little differently.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman