Zion Williamson could possibly sue Nike?

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
They'll just go ahead and sign him to a $250m deal.

Agree. If he did sue, it'd be as leverage for a bigger deal.

I can't see it happening though just for the simple fact it's a terrible decision for a rising star to shut out the biggest shoe maker in the world.

• Agree
Reactions: DurangoCy

isu_ce

Oct 14, 2007
All the people taking joy in Nike possibly being held liable is funny. It gives them another outlet to channel their anger at the nfl giving lap a big fat check.

They all have something in common, wonder what it is???

A sense of humor?

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Agree. If he did sue, it'd be as leverage for a bigger deal.

I can't see it happening though just for the simple fact it's a terrible decision for a rising star to shut out the biggest shoe maker in the world.

Even if he wasn't planning on signing with Nike why would he alienate a bidder for his services? Take Nike out of the equation and UA is bidding against nobody.

• Agree
Reactions: AgronAlum

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I don't know if Zion should sue, but I'm guessing there are a lot of schools evaluating their Nike contracts right now. This will certainly be used as negative recruiting for future star recruits. I'm sure Self is working on adding this to his recruiting pitch as we speak.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Even if he wasn't planning on signing with Nike why would he alienate a bidder for his services? Take Nike out of the equation and UA is bidding against nobody.

view

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
I don't know if Zion should sue, but I'm guessing there are a lot of schools evaluating their Nike contracts right now. This will certainly be used as negative recruiting for future star recruits. I'm sure Self is working on adding this to his recruiting pitch as we speak.

You are seriously saying kids will turn their back on Nike because of a one time fluke accident?

You’re going to be disappointed

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014

Lol. A once in a million chance of a shoe blowing out isn't going to cause schools to walk from that Nike money or recruits to stop wanting to wear it.

k123

Sep 14, 2011
Iowa
Turns out every once in a while shoes sewn by Malaysian 8 year olds fail

Indeed. I am not a lawyer but I know terms like "reasonable person" and "standard of care"...and so if Nike has an inspection protocol at all (which they do) then they can't be solely liable for this. Those shoes travel miles in different temps/humidity, glue could breakdown, etc - not to mention were handled by other people, etc. Settlement if anything. Plus he probably has insurance if injury drops draft status.
http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/insurance/loss-value-faqs

Reactions: Doc

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Is he that hurt? I swear everyone is acting like his career is over.

It's a big deal because it highlights what could have happened. If it wasn't for a stupid and outdated rule he wouldn't even be at Duke playing for tuition, room and board. He'd be in the NBA, where it's already obvious he belongs.