Zoran Talley

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Obvi not happening.
Yeah the longer this takes to be announced the less likely I think it's going to happen. I know Hoiberg added some guys real late in the summer (Allen, Lucious) but they were dismissed really late. Talley was kicked off ODU back in May and there's been rumblings about him coming to ISU for something like 6 weeks now

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Yeah the longer this takes to be announced the less likely I think it's going to happen. I know Hoiberg added some guys real late in the summer (Allen, Lucious) but they were dismissed really late. Talley was kicked off ODU back in May and there's been rumblings about him coming to ISU for something like 6 weeks now

I still think it will happen

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
I still think it will happen

I hope so. ISU classes start Aug 21 so there's still a little over a month for him to get here and enroll but the jump from the CUSA to the Big 12 is a big one and it'd be beneficial if he could get here asap as I think team workouts have now started.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Good lord. If a player is worried they can't beat out a role player then we can do better because they obviously aren't that good.

This don't want to hurt someone's feelings mentality is insane.

That might give you the warm fuzzies, but it's ignoring a growing trend in college athletics, where players are thinking of themselves as free agents, not student-athletes. You're kidding yourself if you don't think these guys pay attention to roster makeup. They want to play and play right away. An upperclassman transfer with a decent resume at the same position could definitely make a high school kid think twice.

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA
That might give you the warm fuzzies, but it's ignoring a growing trend in college athletics, where players are thinking of themselves as free agents, not student-athletes. You're kidding yourself if you don't think these guys pay attention to roster makeup. They want to play and play right away. An upperclassman transfer with a decent resume at the same position could definitely make a high school kid think twice.

Morris wasn't happy Hoiberg signed Kane late.... I agree with your take. We've seen it happen here in person.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Morris wasn't happy Hoiberg signed Kane late.... I agree with your take. We've seen it happen here in person.

Good out of state kids aren't coming to ISU to be stuck on the bench until their SR year.

They're always looking at rosters and the other players you're recruiting.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

Yep and that is one of my favorite stories about Monte and one of the things I admire most about him---how he took that disappointment and went out and proved that he should be on the court. It didn't take long for him to be a starter and a lot of that was that he didn't pout and act entitled, he just worked. And Monte realized what a benefit it was to learn from Kane. And Monte was able to tell Donavan the same thing.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
And Marshall was in Conference USA. So maybe Talley will adjust to the Big 12 better than people think. Who knows.

Merrill Holden also came from the C-USA and he put up 2.4 ppg at ISU.

My hope is Talley is somewhere in between Holden and Kane.

• Agree
Reactions: Stereotype

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park

So if a freshman is afraid to go to a team where they have a senior, where's he supposed to go? I'd like to think every team has seniors, or worse.. juniors!

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver

I think you're right, but I don't think ISU could afford to pass on Talley (assuming they think he can contribute) because we could really use the help this year and we can always pivot somewhere else for 2018-2019. One of those grad transfer big guards would have been ideal, but you have to adjust. As the classes balance, hopefully the high schoolers will see more opportunity.

I also think it's quite possible that Zoran ends up being a better college player than Race.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
So if a freshman is afraid to go to a team where they have a senior, where's he supposed to go? I'd like to think every team has seniors, or worse.. juniors!

Talley would be a junior.

Where's he (a freshman) supposed to go? To a team with a need for your skillset. To a high-caliber program with a rebuilding roster. To a blue blood that reloads every year after everyone leaves for the NBA. There are plenty of options out there for these guys. They do their research.

Do you think it's an advantage for us that Harris would likely be a starter from Day 1? Do you think the same factor helped us land Wigginton?

You're oversimplifying, Rusty. But i'm not sure what else I expected.

• Agree
Reactions: Cydkar

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

I watched a game the other night on Cyclones.tv and it was so weird to see Morris on the bench and not playing very much.