Favorite Band that Few People Know

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Admission: I cite Sloan too often as my go-to for Unsung Heroes topics like this, including this entry from On That Note.

But what the heck. I won't apologize, it's good pop. For variety’s sake, I’ll use tracks I haven’t referenced as often.

People Of The Sky (1994)

G Turns to D (1996)

Right or Wrong (2007)

Believe in Me (2008)

• Friendly
Reactions: Angie

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I'll ditto this. Everyone needs to check these kids out. First time I heard them I thought I was listening to a previously unreleased Zeppelin track.

They're going to be in DSM in early December, and I'm SO BUMMED that it's sold out. I thought it was unreleased Zeppelin, too. They just rock out.

I wanted to go to that show so bad but couldn't swing it. Was that show at Vets or was it at the Val Air Ballroom?

I want to say it was Super Toad! It's the only time I've ever been there. It was pretty small, and it was HOT in there. But it was loud and awesome!

Modest Mouse and Father John Misty

I LOVE Father John Misty. He's so clever and filthy.

StratCY

Apr 22, 2011
Austin, TX
Limbeck - "Let Me Come Home"

I saw them open for Motion City Soundtrack at the M-Shop, I immediately bought their album at the venue, great band. Very roots-rock.

Reactions: cyclones500

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I really don't know if they're known or not. Aussie band 2/4 committed suicide. One had gambling addiction, thus "Blow Up the Pokies" Don't even remember how I was introduced to them. I bought their hits compilation, Truth Beauty and a Picture of You. This is probably their best known song

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
One band I really like that doesn't get a lot of pub is Cloud Nothings. A really good Lo-Fi band with that dirty rock feel.

I really love their album Attack on Memory. A few of my favorite tracks from that album:

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
from 2013-this year it was Portugal. The Man, and I would say a lot of people who like them now still don't really know them.

I would say right now, recency bias included, this is a collective more than a Band but they fashion themselves as a "Boy Band" (Rap/Hip-Hop) and thought I'd bring a different genre to the table.

BROCKHAMPTON

• Friendly

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
XTC.jpg XTC is one of my favorite bands. They did not perform live after the early 1980s b/c their front-man had terrible anxiety issues. Became a studio-only band. Very Beatles-esque, in my opinion. A couple very minor 80's MTV hits.

Last edited:
Reactions: drlove

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
I don't seek out music like I use to but Billy Strings comes to mind.
Great bluegrass voice and phenomenal guitarist.

Reactions: JHpsyclonz

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
Sweatshop Union - hip hop band out of Vancouver:

NSFW

If you were a fan of the show Continuum you probably heard some of their songs.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I LOVE Father John Misty. He's so clever and filthy.

Go see him some time.

He was great anyway but his fanbase made me fee like I was seeing Elvis. They worshiped him.

I'll add Dirty Projectors but not sure what sorts of popularity they have...I'm far removed from the loop on what's out there any more.

• Friendly

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
Haven't heard anything from these guys in quite awhile, not even sure if they are still together, but I'm a fan of Ludo