CyHawk College Gameday

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
bad publicity?? he basically killed a neighbor of mine's brother and got off scot free. how he's not in jail is the real question?
Yes, i just didnt want to go down that path of derailing it too much, but I agree.

Honestly with Iowa being a political hotbed, I hope it's not Joni or Kim (or any politician).
I guess I could see an astronaut.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
It is my first time ever posting here and that damn Chris Williams wouldn’t accept my account until a week after this article went live.

Well, that was certainly serious content in your first post.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Some thoughts from the author of the piece:

—Saying the Hawks “will be pretty bad this year” as your reasoning that the CyHawk won’t get GameDay blissfully ignores all of the intricate factors that go into making those decisions. Just today, CBS Sports released its preseason top-25: Iowa State checked in at #18 and Iowa at #25. I'm more confident today that the CyHawk rivalry is the most likely matchup to get GameDay than I was when I originally wrote it. You are also ignoring the fact there are hardly any other relevant games to compete against in Week 3.

—I 100% want College GameDay to come to Ames, no matter the opponent. Playing the Hawks for ISU’s first GameDay experience is the worst-case (realistic) scenario. Both of these things can be true. You don’t have to be on one side or the other, you can accept both facts. I also recognize that a win against Iowa with College GameDay would trigger an all-time entertaining celebration in Ames and could be huge for momentum heading into the meat of the schedule. Again, everyone is on the same page here: GameDay would be awesome no matter what.

—GameDay nearly always sets up on a scenic, open part of campus—it’s very rare for them to set up in front of a stadium unless they have no choice. Central Campus in front of the campanile is *exactly* the type of location they want. Although I agree that there are some potentially cool areas around the stadium, it would directly impact traffic and/or existing tailgating spots, which would make it logistically impossible.

—As for guest picker, some of you are exposing the exact reason a CyHawk GameDay would suck: most of the suggestions here are either very neutral (Aquaman, American Pickers, etc.) or Hawkeye fans (Ashton Kutcher, Tom Arnold, Tom Brokaw, etc.). Unfortunately, ISU just doesn’t have many non-sports celebrities to flaunt, so if we truly want a biased picker, we have to narrow the search: Sage Rosenfels (probably most well-known ISU pro), Seneca Wallace (probably 2nd most well-known pro), Monte Morris (currently relevant in the NBA), Georges Niang (less relevant, but charismatic), or Royce White (infamous, controversial, and loves Iowa State). Unless you want a relative nobody (the ISU astronaut comes to mind as a cool-but-not-famous “celebrity”), we are likely looking at an athlete.

If the Nuggets can win 12 more games Monte wouldn't be a very obscure pick at all. Big "if" but stranger things have happened.

The 6th man on an NBA champion team is a pretty big get.

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013

—Saying the Hawks “will be pretty bad this year” as your reasoning that the CyHawk won’t get GameDay blissfully ignores all of the intricate factors that go into making those decisions. Just today, CBS Sports released its preseason top-25: Iowa State checked in at #18 and Iowa at #25. I'm more confident today that the CyHawk rivalry is the most likely matchup to get GameDay than I was when I originally wrote it. You are also ignoring the fact there are hardly any other relevant games to compete against in Week 3.

—I 100% want College GameDay to come to Ames, no matter the opponent. Playing the Hawks for ISU’s first GameDay experience is the worst-case (realistic) scenario. Both of these things can be true. You don’t have to be on one side or the other, you can accept both facts. I also recognize that a win against Iowa with College GameDay would trigger an all-time entertaining celebration in Ames and could be huge for momentum heading into the meat of the schedule. Again, everyone is on the same page here: GameDay would be awesome no matter what.

—GameDay nearly always sets up on a scenic, open part of campus—it’s very rare for them to set up in front of a stadium unless they have no choice. Central Campus in front of the campanile is *exactly* the type of location they want. Although I agree that there are some potentially cool areas around the stadium, it would directly impact traffic and/or existing tailgating spots, which would make it logistically impossible.

—As for guest picker, some of you are exposing the exact reason a CyHawk GameDay would suck: most of the suggestions here are either very neutral (Aquaman, American Pickers, etc.) or Hawkeye fans (Ashton Kutcher, Tom Arnold, Tom Brokaw, etc.). Unfortunately, ISU just doesn’t have many non-sports celebrities to flaunt, so if we truly want a biased picker, we have to narrow the search: Sage Rosenfels (probably most well-known ISU pro), Seneca Wallace (probably 2nd most well-known pro), Monte Morris (currently relevant in the NBA), Georges Niang (less relevant, but charismatic), or Royce White (infamous, controversial, and loves Iowa State). Unless you want a relative nobody (the ISU astronaut comes to mind as a cool-but-not-famous “celebrity”), we are likely looking at an athlete.
Whatever HawkeyeGookin

• Funny
Reactions: Gookin

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

Definitely a hawk here because there is a lot of poor information.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006

Royce White? Jesus...

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Sorry but nobody watching Gameday would know who Sage, Seneca, Monte, Georges, Royce are. I think it'd make gobs more sense to have a "very neutral" guest picker who people have actually heard of.
Nobody outside of Iowa and ISU fans really GAF about the guest speaker if we really want to get down to brass tacks.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
God, just no. A purple hawk with an ax to grind against a team that didn't recruit him.

The "Iowan" stuff is nonsense. I wouldn't give a hoot in hell what Chris errrrrrr Ashton Kutcher has to say about ISU nor Tom Arnold.

Sage is the answer.

Sage probably IS the answer. And he'd do a great job. The only reason why I wouldn't mind Kurt Warner is that BOTH teams didn't recruit him. I doubt that he'd have more of an ax to grind against ISU than iowa. If they do it that weekend, it IS going to be more of a State of Iowa CGD and Warner is professional enough to remove whatever bias he may have. Ashton Kutcher and Tom Arnold are noted hawkeye fans, so there is a difference there.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
So the other thread has an Athletic article ranking us #15 post Spring. They rank Iowa #18.

If we both have similar pre-season rankings we should be around these rankings on 9/14.

We will have played UNI. Iowa will have played Miami (OH) and Rutgers.

Without looking too hard I'm not seeing a better week three matchup unless UCLA is doing really well and they pick OU/UCLA?

CyHawk Game Day might happen.