CyHawk College Gameday

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
Guys the answer here is so obvious...

American-Pickers-Cast-640x359.jpg

Even though there's no direct ISU link, I think that would be a great idea.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Guest picker Riley Reid

Do not Google this name if you're at work or around family
If you're going to go that route someone on here said India Summer attended Iowa State for a while. (Same disclaimer applies.)

Gookin

Apr 19, 2019
Some thoughts from the author of the piece:

—Saying the Hawks “will be pretty bad this year” as your reasoning that the CyHawk won’t get GameDay blissfully ignores all of the intricate factors that go into making those decisions. Just today, CBS Sports released its preseason top-25: Iowa State checked in at #18 and Iowa at #25. I'm more confident today that the CyHawk rivalry is the most likely matchup to get GameDay than I was when I originally wrote it. You are also ignoring the fact there are hardly any other relevant games to compete against in Week 3.

—I 100% want College GameDay to come to Ames, no matter the opponent. Playing the Hawks for ISU’s first GameDay experience is the worst-case (realistic) scenario. Both of these things can be true. You don’t have to be on one side or the other, you can accept both facts. I also recognize that a win against Iowa with College GameDay would trigger an all-time entertaining celebration in Ames and could be huge for momentum heading into the meat of the schedule. Again, everyone is on the same page here: GameDay would be awesome no matter what.

—GameDay nearly always sets up on a scenic, open part of campus—it’s very rare for them to set up in front of a stadium unless they have no choice. Central Campus in front of the campanile is *exactly* the type of location they want. Although I agree that there are some potentially cool areas around the stadium, it would directly impact traffic and/or existing tailgating spots, which would make it logistically impossible.

—As for guest picker, some of you are exposing the exact reason a CyHawk GameDay would suck: most of the suggestions here are either very neutral (Aquaman, American Pickers, etc.) or Hawkeye fans (Ashton Kutcher, Tom Arnold, Tom Brokaw, etc.). Unfortunately, ISU just doesn’t have many non-sports celebrities to flaunt, so if we truly want a biased picker, we have to narrow the search: Sage Rosenfels (probably most well-known ISU pro), Seneca Wallace (probably 2nd most well-known pro), Monte Morris (currently relevant in the NBA), Georges Niang (less relevant, but charismatic), or Royce White (infamous, controversial, and loves Iowa State). Unless you want a relative nobody (the ISU astronaut comes to mind as a cool-but-not-famous “celebrity”), we are likely looking at an athlete.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you

—Saying the Hawks “will be pretty bad this year” as your reasoning that the CyHawk won’t get GameDay blissfully ignores all of the intricate factors that go into making those decisions. Just today, CBS Sports released its preseason top-25: Iowa State checked in at #18 and Iowa at #25. I'm more confident today that the CyHawk rivalry is the most likely matchup to get GameDay than I was when I originally wrote it. You are also ignoring the fact there are hardly any other relevant games to compete against in Week 3.

—I 100% want College GameDay to come to Ames, no matter the opponent. Playing the Hawks for ISU’s first GameDay experience is the worst-case (realistic) scenario. Both of these things can be true. You don’t have to be on one side or the other, you can accept both facts. I also recognize that a win against Iowa with College GameDay would trigger an all-time entertaining celebration in Ames and could be huge for momentum heading into the meat of the schedule. Again, everyone is on the same page here: GameDay would be awesome no matter what.

—GameDay nearly always sets up on a scenic, open part of campus—it’s very rare for them to set up in front of a stadium unless they have no choice. Central Campus in front of the campanile is *exactly* the type of location they want. Although I agree that there are some potentially cool areas around the stadium, it would directly impact traffic and/or existing tailgating spots, which would make it logistically impossible.

—As for guest picker, some of you are exposing the exact reason a CyHawk GameDay would suck: most of the suggestions here are either very neutral (Aquaman, American Pickers, etc.) or Hawkeye fans (Ashton Kutcher, Tom Arnold, Tom Brokaw, etc.). Unfortunately, ISU just doesn’t have many non-sports celebrities to flaunt, so if we truly want a biased picker, we have to narrow the search: Sage Rosenfels (probably most well-known ISU pro), Seneca Wallace (probably 2nd most well-known pro), Monte Morris (currently relevant in the NBA), Georges Niang (less relevant, but charismatic), or Royce White (infamous, controversial, and loves Iowa State). Unless you want a relative nobody (the ISU astronaut comes to mind as a cool-but-not-famous “celebrity”), we are likely looking at an athlete.

Sorry but nobody watching Gameday would know who Sage, Seneca, Monte, Georges, Royce are. I think it'd make gobs more sense to have a "very neutral" guest picker who people have actually heard of.

Gookin

Apr 19, 2019
Sorry but nobody watching Gameday would know who Sage, Seneca, Monte, Georges, Royce are. I think it'd make gobs more sense to have a "very neutral" guest picker who people have actually heard of.
I'm not saying they won't go neutral, I just think it would suck. The fun part is always having that homer at the table hyping up your school with everyone watching... I don't wanna see Shawn Johnson up there pretending to care about Iowa State or some random movie star who got flown in for no other reason than to pick games.

I think you also underestimate some of those guys' relevance. Seneca was a Heisman candidate and moderately successful NFL QB (and now a huge ambassador for Iowa State). Monte played in every single Nuggets game this season and is currently getting good minutes in the NBA Playoffs. Royce was a first round NBA pick and one of the most controversial dudes in the sport (E:60 did a special on him recently) and his transition to MMA or UFC or whatever it is could be a potential talking point. Not saying those guys *would* get the call from ESPN, but I think they have a better shot than you think and I'd much rather have one of them than some impartial picker.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
I'd honestly go with Hornacek. Very successful NBA career and known by most NBA fans

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
I'd honestly go with Hornacek. Very successful NBA career and known by most NBA fans
I can't think of anyone else better. I've said Sage and stand by it because they could explain who he played for in the NFL. But it's true that he's not well known and not ideal.

I like Gable too. He's guaranteed to wear his letter jacket and I honestly think he'd pick the good guys. It'd irritate me if he got booed either way, which he would. Gable would be perfect if it were vs. UT or some conference foe.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I'm not saying they won't go neutral, I just think it would suck. The fun part is always having that homer at the table hyping up your school with everyone watching... I don't wanna see Shawn Johnson up there pretending to care about Iowa State or some random movie star who got flown in for no other reason than to pick games.

I think you also underestimate some of those guys' relevance. Seneca was a Heisman candidate and moderately successful NFL QB (and now a huge ambassador for Iowa State). Monte played in every single Nuggets game this season and is currently getting good minutes in the NBA Playoffs. Royce was a first round NBA pick and one of the most controversial dudes in the sport (E:60 did a special on him recently) and his transition to MMA or UFC or whatever it is could be a potential talking point. Not saying those guys *would* get the call from ESPN, but I think they have a better shot than you think and I'd much rather have one of them than some impartial picker.

I don't blame you for wanting someone with an ISU bias. I probably would too. Just saying the choice would likely come down to getting an ISU guy who'll pump up the crowd vs. getting someone that people watching on TV will know. If the game were hosted in IC, minus a guy like Kutcher or George Kittle, we'd be in a similar boat as far as finding a guest picker the rest of America knows or cares about.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
I don't blame you for wanting someone with an ISU bias. I probably would too. Just saying the choice would likely come down to getting an ISU guy who'll pump up the crowd vs. getting someone that people watching on TV will know. If the game were hosted in IC, minus a guy like Kutcher or George Kittle, we'd be in a similar boat as far as finding a guest picker the rest of America knows or cares about.

After doing a little internet research on the CGD guests I think ISU fans should brace for Kutcher as guest picker if the CyHawk get's selected.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
After doing a little internet research on the CGD guests I think ISU fans should brace for Kutcher as guest picker if the CyHawk get's selected.

What did your research say? Which games had an alum from the visiting school?

Last edited:

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

Interesting first post! o_O Or is this just an alt?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I would hope it wouldnt be a politician.

The bachelor has had some bad publicity so maybe it could be that hot Real World girl.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron