***Official Montgomery and Butler NFL Thread***

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I can't seem to find the real answer...is the contract salary guaranteed or just the signing bonus?

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC

I was reading an article staying that pretty much first 4 rounds are guaranteed money with the bonus and anything after that is usually just a bonus guaranteed, but not contract. So the fact that they got drafted in the first 4 rounds will make them multi millionaires on paper guaranteed. Obviously the earlier you go, the more money but even 3rd and 4th rounders are making some fairly decent money with 3-4 year contracts.

I think the article was saying the average contract for both 3rd and 4th rounder was somewhere around $1M per year with at least a $750K signing bonus for a 4th rounder, and maybe closer to $1M for a 3rd rounder - which is about in line probably with what Butler is getting. Montgomery will probably make even more money. Both of them landed in places too where that will afford them some nice living arrangements already..

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Only idiots said he should come back.

Yeah I do not understand why people would say that.

There is a finite amount of time these guys have to get paid. He has his chance, now it’s up to him to make the teams that passed on him regret their decisions.

Another year of college football would have done nothing for him.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
Another year of college football would have done nothing for him.

I don't agree with your statement, but I don't necessarily disagree either. We'll never know, obviously, but the consensus among scouts and insiders for why he wasn't a 1st or 2nd round pick was because he dropped some easy passes throughout the year. If he would have had less easy drops, he would have easily gone in the 2nd round at the latest. So stay another year, work on those issues, and potentially get drafted in the 1st or 2nd round. That's double the money than 4th round, at least.

On the other side of things, who knows if he would have had a worse season if he stayed and his stock would have gone down. In hindsight it's not a bad decision that he made - he'll have made over $4M (pre tax) after a small handful of years now which is nothing to take lightly. To say staying would have done nothing for him though is fairly shortsighted. He could have easily come back, had an almost as good of year if not better, and corrected his drop issues and he could have been a 1st or 2nd rounder next year IF that would have happened. We'll never know, but saying that coming back for another year wouldn't have helped his status is not automatic at all. It could have gone either way. I'm happy for the guy and think he made the right decision though.

Everything is hindsight though. If he wasn't drafted, everyone would have been on him and saying he made a mistake. He got drafted in round 4 so nobody is saying that now.

Last edited:

CYcoFan

Aug 15, 2007
Ames
Some guys whine when their team drafts another guy at their position. Mike Davis seems all for it, love it.

Yeah in another tweet he posted a 45 second highlight clip where he says "those moves man, excited to get to work with him"

You are right it will be important for the RB room to have chemistry and I think they all understand that they are all different from one another.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Good weekend to be a Cyclone! I can't wait to follow their careers! Fun to have some skill position guys to follow!

• Agree
Reactions: Tailg8er

RoseClone

Oct 18, 2006
Pretty sure Hakeem graduated

:)

dont-be-so-5b549e.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: khardbored

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron