New football commit? Craig McDonald

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Sad situation, but things like this have happened in the past, mostly Texas, where kids were held back to gain an athletic advantage. I am not insinuating that is the case here, but that is why it's in place.

Didn't want to be another THT!

Oh wait, its looking pretty good for him.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Didn't want to be another THT!

Oh wait, its looking pretty good for him.
I hope so. I'm always anxious until the name is called for guys like him. Could always be getting the wrong info from the wrong people. I think Lindell is more likely to be the case here for that scenario but I still am cautiously optimistic for him.

83cy

May 14, 2006
One of our wrestlers years back was homeschooled and purposely repeated a grade (I believe 8th) in hopes to be a 4 time state champ. I can see why the rule is in place, but this is not it.

There was a wrestler in Minnesota who repeated 7th grade so he could win 6 state titles. And yes he did win 6 state titles, not sure how he got around the above mentioned rule.

Reactions: IASTATE07

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Well, the story on this is he entered school too early (parents didn't know). He claims he wasn't allowed to be held back in 1st-7th grade. He switched schools or something and repeated 8th grade twice, which got him back in the right grade for his age. The district rule is you can't repeat a grade after 6th grade. He didn't play Varsity until he was in 9th grade, after repeating 8th grade. So only 3 years of varsity, and he is now in the correct class for his age. He would have graduated at 17 otherwise.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Well, the story on this is he entered school too early (parents didn't know). He claims he wasn't allowed to be held back in 1st-7th grade. He switched schools or something and repeated 8th grade twice, which got him back in the right grade for his age. The district rule is you can't repeat a grade after 6th grade. He didn't play Varsity until he was in 9th grade, after repeating 8th grade. So only 3 years of varsity, and he is now in the correct class for his age. He would have graduated at 17 otherwise.

That's crazy.

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
There was a wrestler in Minnesota who repeated 7th grade so he could win 6 state titles. And yes he did win 6 state titles, not sure how he got around the above mentioned rule.
You're thinking of Mark Hall. His 'first' 7th grade year was in Kentucky, where he got 2nd at State.

• Agree
Reactions: 83cy

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Color me shocked that an athletic association would make a decision that isn't in the best interest of a student athlete...

• Winner
Reactions: bozclone

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
Observations:

His tweet says he "potentially" may not be able to play varsity football his Sr. year. Does this mean it's not a for sure yet?

If enforced, can he tear up the JV circuit his senior year? :)

He mentioned if needed he may go to a prep school and play there (likely in games not sanctioned by the high school athletic assn)

In the comments, someone directly asked if this means he could go to ISU early, and he said "no."

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Observations:

His tweet says he "potentially" may not be able to play varsity football his Sr. year. Does this mean it's not a for sure yet?

If enforced, can he tear up the JV circuit his senior year? :)

He mentioned if needed he may go to a prep school and play there (likely in games not sanctioned by the high school athletic assn)

In the comments, someone directly asked if this means he could go to ISU early, and he said "no."
The Tweet says his appeal was denied and he has a final hearing coming up.

• Informative
Reactions: khardbored

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
If what he says is true then the dumb part is that his parents tried to hold him back but weren't allowed. So many school systems (and parents) just want to push kids through the system even if the kid isn't mature enough or capable of doing the classwork.

These parents were trying to do what was best for their child and were denied.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I wonder if he could transfer to a Wisconsin school and play. It would be a bit of a haul (about 25 miles one way to Hudson) and with traffic would be a bear, but maybe something they could explore.

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
I was 17 and two months into my freshman year of college. My parents ruined my chance for state championships and a professional career.:mad:

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I was 17 and two months into my freshman year of college. My parents ruined my chance for state championships and a professional career.:mad:
I was old. I turned 18 about 2 months after graduating from high school. Thank God my mom said, "Absolutely not!" When they wanted to start me directly in first grade after Kindergarten roundup testing. As it was, I didn't get any coordination to speak of until my senior year.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha

I was 17 also starting out at ISU. Never mattered in sports as I was not a college athlete prospect, but I finished top 5 for GPA out of about 130 in my class. So starting school at age 4 didn't hurt me academically either. But every kid is different. Sounds like McDonald needed to stay back a year for both reasons. Seems like usually these school administrators are pretty rigid about sticking to their rules, so it sounds like prep school is going to be his only option if I had to guess.

• Agree
Reactions: Aclone

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I was 17 also starting out at ISU. Never mattered in sports as I was not a college athlete prospect, but I finished top 5 for GPA out of about 130 in my class. So starting school at age 4 didn't hurt me academically either. But every kid is different. Sounds like McDonald needed to stay back a year for both reasons. Seems like usually these school administrators are pretty rigid about sticking to their rules, so it sounds like prep school is going to be his only option if I had to guess.
I was 4th out of 186 in my class and made it to State in track my senior year so being one of the youngest in my class didn't hurt me too much. I don't think it would have been so rosy if I had been a year younger though.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Sad situation, but things like this have happened in the past, mostly Texas, where kids were held back to gain an athletic advantage. I am not insinuating that is the case here, but that is why it's in place.

This happens in rural Iowa too. There were guys in my school who turned 6 the summer before kindergarten, therefore being older in high school. I turned 5 right before school started. Hell, I was 17 for a week or so when I moved to ISU.

I'm convinced that's why I'm not in the NFL. That, and I'm a slow runner.

Reactions: Aclone