Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
You should really put this in list form and tape it to every self checkout register.

Admittedly, I'd never read it but somebody out there probably pays attention to written directions.

Well, in Target here in Ames, the direction is opposite -- start on left, end on right -- so people would need to read his directions backwards.

Reactions: jcyclonee

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
My dog helped himself to an open box of treats that was on the floor at Bomgaars the other day before I realized what he was doing and got him to stop.

Is he going to get charged with misdemeanor theft?

I would take him back behind the barn just to be safe.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Yet at the same time never right.
giphy.gif

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
So Walmart is going to staff 5 people at the registers regardless of how busy it is. They decide to have 5 slow people work so that a lot of people are forced to use the self-checkout (creating a queue for that as well). They decide to do this rather than have normal speed workers to get through the customers and not have a queue at the self-checkout?

Even better is that you hear a theory, that isn't even logical, and you immediately pass it off as your own without any thought.

They've hired the fastest cashiers they can find for $11.50 per hour. It just so happens that at that price, most people they attract are really slow. If they wanted faster cashiers, they'd offer $14 or $15 in order to attract such people. Clearly they don't. They can say they don't but their actions indicate otherwise. It's really just an issue of semantics.

They without a doubt are pushing people to self-check lanes. They don't care much about the checker lanes because they want to do away with them.

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
I have self checker paranoia that I'm inadvertently going to end up in such a situation. I'm surprised that most people don't. But regardless, it's a teachable moment. Scold them and move on. The money isn't squat, but left unchecked it establishes that it's ok to steal, especially if you're poor. Not a good thing for society.

• Winner
Reactions: STLISU

mctallerton

Apr 4, 2006
So this weekend I was at target, got to the checkout and realized I hadn’t done the cartwheel thing (usually fiancé does it). So I start scanning the items on my phone and bagging them, completely forgetting to scan them at the register. I’m dumb, people do dumb things.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
It's time to start recruiting kids who know how the self-checkout works.
Funny you mention "self" and "fred" in the same breath. I can read through your coded language.

oops I morphed the Fred and self thing after reading your post and the one slightly above yours. I still think it is funny. :)

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I have self checker paranoia that I'm inadvertently going to end up in such a situation. I'm surprised that most people don't. But regardless, it's a teachable moment. Scold them and move on. The money isn't squat, but left unchecked it establishes that it's ok to steal, especially if you're poor. Not a good thing for society.

Society card played... Slippery slope in this race to the bottom. I blame unions for making crappily made chinese products WAY more affordable than comparable US made junk. And tariffs or something.