Somebody needs to break into Walmart and Steal the Damn Surveillance Footage

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Since it's pretty much myself and soccer moms when I'm at Target, does that mean that I'm #2 on the self checkout lane thieves list?

I don't know if you would be #2 or not, but when I am in the store I will notify the employee on duty to watch the soccer mom crowd a little closer.

• Funny
Reactions: jcyclonee

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Really? I guess I feel that I'm accepting responsibility for accuracy by choosing the self checkout; and I think it's fairly easy to be pretty sure I don't miss something. Unscanned items start on the right, scan items one at a time putting the item on the left/in a bag, always listen for the beep and investigate if you don't hear a beep. Be extra diligent if you use the handheld scanner.

So you trust your process?

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
I wonder how many people get swept up in this stuff whenever they do these reviews. I wonder how they even know an item is gone without being paid for. Surely they aren't reviewing every transaction.

I'm skeptical these guys are doing this by accident but maybe they are. Who knows. Lots of public embarrassment for a $7 item.

https://www.amestrib.com/sports/201...enyi-uwazurike-charged-with-misdemeanor-theft
I used to work there unloading trucks part time for extra dough and they have the people up front randomly check bags...which may not be so random who knows, and then they recognize them on leadership boards in back for "loss prevention" efforts as Wal Mart greeters.

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
It's been awhile ago now, but there was a time I was leaving a Walmart after checking out, and a person timed their fast exit through the alarm deal just as I was passing through setting it off. They looked through my stuff.

Also, for about a year everytime my mother would walk through one of those the alarm would go off whether entering or exiting. Somehow only was searched once. That pissed her off. A bit later she was entering a small store once and set it off. An employee checked her purse and realized that it still had the security tag in it. She removed it for her. This was a sold 20 years ago.

Last edited:

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Does anyone here let the Walmart greeter check your bags after you’ve paid? Maybe I’m a ****, but I just smile and say “no thank you” and keep walking out the store. I’ve paid for it, I own it at that point. They can ask me not to come back, but they can’t detain me to check my bags with no real reasonable suspicion that I’ve stolen anything.

I'm going to try that next time because it's really annoying

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
Yes, you are a ****. The whole point of security is to limit losses and keep costs down for everyone. I suppose you make a big deal about scanning security at events, too. "I have a ticket so you have to let me in whether I want to cooperate with security or not!"
Totally different. And the Walmart greeter is not a trained security professional.
I'm going to try that next time because it's really annoying
tell them you’re a sovereign citizen and not subject to their rules....

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
So I wonder what the rate of accidental unscanned items are by "professional" cashiers? Walmart has to have done a study ok that by now. Is there an expectation that a person at self checkout is better than an employee working a register? If they are not, does that automatically equate to theft?

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
It's not up to me to get their freaking system correct. It would help if Wal Mart would hire a few cashiers. They purposely hire the slowest people on Earth to man the lines and try to force people into the self checkout.
Given some of your views on life, I can't tell if you are serious about this or not. How would it benefit Walmart in any way to intentionally hire slow people? That's stupid.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
My dog helped himself to an open box of treats that was on the floor at Bomgaars the other day before I realized what he was doing and got him to stop.

Is he going to get charged with misdemeanor theft?

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY and jcyclonee

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Given some of your views on life, I can't tell if you are serious about this or not. How would it benefit Walmart in any way to intentionally hire slow people? That's stupid.

So they train people to use the self-checkout and they save on personnel costs. Not my theory. My wife does most of the shopping there and pointed it out.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
So they train people to use the self-checkout and they save on personnel costs. Not my theory. My wife does most of the shopping there and pointed it out.
So Walmart is going to staff 5 people at the registers regardless of how busy it is. They decide to have 5 slow people work so that a lot of people are forced to use the self-checkout (creating a queue for that as well). They decide to do this rather than have normal speed workers to get through the customers and not have a queue at the self-checkout?

Even better is that you hear a theory, that isn't even logical, and you immediately pass it off as your own without any thought.

• Agree
Reactions: MeowingCows

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Really? I guess I feel that I'm accepting responsibility for accuracy by choosing the self checkout; and I think it's fairly easy to be pretty sure I don't miss something. Unscanned items start on the right, scan items one at a time putting the item on the left/in a bag, always listen for the beep and investigate if you don't hear a beep. Be extra diligent if you use the handheld scanner.

I kind of feel like its the opposite. Don't get me wrong, i'm not advocating theft at all, but stores have accepted that the cost of under-scanned items (which is inevitable) is worth not paying staff to operate registers themselves.

Also, on another note, it seems to me like if you were really going to steal something, doing it in the one place with the most cameras (near the registers) is probably the worst idea possible.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Yes, you are a ****. The whole point of security is to limit losses and keep costs down for everyone. I suppose you make a big deal about scanning security at events, too. "I have a ticket so you have to let me in whether I want to cooperate with security or not!"

Hard disagree. You have paid for the ****, you can leave whenever you want.

I might show them just because it only takes a second, but i wouldnt feel bad about just going on by.