Somebody needs to break into Walmart and Steal the Damn Surveillance Footage

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I had one of those self checkout scanners not actually scan something before. I didn't realize it until I got home and looked at the receipt.

I am thankful I'm not in a prison cell next to Cohen and "The Situation" for my high crimes.

Reactions: isutrevman

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
The self checkout I used at HyVee last week didn't beep when it scanned an item, it just showed up on the screen. Thought for sure I would end up double scanning the items waiting for the beep.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
A little trivia for you. The Red Delicious variety was originally called the "Hawkeye" out of Peru, Iowa but was marketed as "Stark Delicious" by Stark Nurseries who bought it. They also bought a golden apple and named it "Golden Delicious". Eventually the Stark was dropped in favor of "Red".

Now think Hawkeye every time you bite into one.

To be fair, I'm pretty sure he was thinking Hawkeye State, not Iowa Hawkeyes since it was 1892. Iowa started playing football in 1890 and there was no real consensus on a nickname for University of Iowa teams for several years with names like "Cornhusker" being thrown around. Cornhusker was eventually copied by Nebraska.
Is this a GOT spoiler?

Reactions: VeloClone

TedKumsher

Aug 30, 2007
Ames
I use the Wal-Mart, Target, and HyVee Self checkouts all the time and it's easy to miss something or not catch that an item didn't scan. . . .
Really? I guess I feel that I'm accepting responsibility for accuracy by choosing the self checkout; and I think it's fairly easy to be pretty sure I don't miss something. Unscanned items start on the right, scan items one at a time putting the item on the left/in a bag, always listen for the beep and investigate if you don't hear a beep. Be extra diligent if you use the handheld scanner.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Really? I guess I feel that I'm accepting responsibility for accuracy by choosing the self checkout; and I think it's fairly easy to be pretty sure I don't miss something. Unscanned items start on the right, scan items one at a time putting the item on the left/in a bag, always listen for the beep and investigate if you don't hear a beep. Be extra diligent if you use the handheld scanner.
You should really put this in list form and tape it to every self checkout register.

Admittedly, I'd never read it but somebody out there probably pays attention to written directions.

• Funny
Reactions: SpokaneCY

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Arya has done some cooking....
If I was a woman I would probably say Jon Snow. But I'm not even gay...
Not-That-Theres-Anything-Wrong-With-That-Reaction-Gif-On-Seinfeld.gif

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
My wife works for Target Corp. She told me an interesting stat at their stores:

The #1 category of thieves at their self checkout lanes (by far):

Not teens, Not college kids, Not seniors.....

It's the Soccer moms! They are notorious for using their kids as a distraction while "scanning" their items. Disgusting.

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
Does anyone here let the Walmart greeter check your bags after you’ve paid? Maybe I’m a ****, but I just smile and say “no thank you” and keep walking out the store. I’ve paid for it, I own it at that point. They can ask me not to come back, but they can’t detain me to check my bags with no real reasonable suspicion that I’ve stolen anything.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Does anyone here let the Walmart greeter check your bags after you’ve paid? Maybe I’m a ****, but I just smile and say “no thank you” and keep walking out the store. I’ve paid for it, I own it at that point. They can ask me not to come back, but they can’t detain me to check my bags with no real reasonable suspicion that I’ve stolen anything.
Yes, you are a ****. The whole point of security is to limit losses and keep costs down for everyone. I suppose you make a big deal about scanning security at events, too. "I have a ticket so you have to let me in whether I want to cooperate with security or not!"

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

Thanks for the tips, Ted...

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis

It's the Soccer moms! They are notorious for using their kids as a distraction while "scanning" their items. Disgusting.
Since it's pretty much myself and soccer moms when I'm at Target, does that mean that I'm #2 on the self checkout lane thieves list?

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

Confronting a "Karen" about it sounds way scarier than any of the other categories.

• Agree
Reactions: MeowingCows

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
I usually let them do it because it takes a whopping 10 seconds, maybe, to check.

...And the people just running past them out the doors are the entire reason they're even checking in the first place.

• Agree
Reactions: SpokaneCY

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I usually let them do it because it takes a whopping 10 seconds, maybe, to check.

...And the people just running past them out the doors are the entire reason they're even checking in the first place.
Even Costco does this. It's not like it's just low budget Wal-Mart doing it.