Somebody needs to break into Walmart and Steal the Damn Surveillance Footage

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I wonder how many people get swept up in this stuff whenever they do these reviews. I wonder how they even know an item is gone without being paid for. Surely they aren't reviewing every transaction.

I'm skeptical these guys are doing this by accident but maybe they are. Who knows. Lots of public embarrassment for a $7 item.

https://www.amestrib.com/sports/201...enyi-uwazurike-charged-with-misdemeanor-theft
giphy.gif

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Said it in the THT thread, I'll say it again here: death penalty for both the program and himself.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I'm curious if this was on purpose or not. I know I've walked up to self check out before and sometimes catch myself placing an item down without scanning it.

An item worth $6.00 isn't worth purposely stealing, imo.

Not worth stealing, though probably not worth the time to enforce it either.

Hell.. even if it's an accident and the evidence isnt great.. do you hire a lawyer over this or just pay the $100ish including the fine and court costs and move on?

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Right, I've even accidentally walked out of Hy-Vee before forgetting to purchase something at the lower shelf in my cart. I brought it back and apologized and paid...the cashier gave the look like "wow surprised you even came back for a 5 dollar item".
I will be reporting you to the proper authorities, could you give me an estimate of the date and time as well as the Hy-Vee location where this took place?

• Funny
Reactions: jcyclonee

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Russia, if you're listening, I hope you're able to find the surveillance footage of Talen Horton-Tucker shoplifting less than $10 of merchandise from a local Wal*Mart.

I think you will probably be rewarded mightily by our press.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Crap, is this a confessions thread now?

Last week I bought an 8 pack of gatorade at Hy Vee and it rang up as some different Gatorade product that was a few dollars cheaper at the self checkout and I decided it wasn't worth the time to sort out.

Just getting it out there before the DMR catches wind.

It's not up to me to get their freaking system correct. It would help if Wal Mart would hire a few cashiers. They purposely hire the slowest people on Earth to man the lines and try to force people into the self checkout.

• Dumb
Reactions: 3TrueFans

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I get why they do occasional video checks and prosecute for even small amounts. Everyone sees that it would be so simple to walk out with something there. When it makes the news that they are checking and prosecuting it will make most people think twice about walking out with something no matter how small and inexpensive. It's called prevention and it is money well spent.

I have a hard time believing that he forgot to scan one of his two items. I could see someone attempting to scan one and not realizing that it didn't scan, but you should recognize that the price is off by over $5.

I'm sure glad I didn't do anything stupid in college. :rolleyes:

• Winner
Reactions: dosry5

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
I get why they do occasional video checks and prosecute for even small amounts. Everyone sees that it would be so simple to walk out with something there. When it makes the news that they are checking and prosecuting it will make most people think twice about walking out with something no matter how small and inexpensive. It's called prevention and it is money well spent.

I have a hard time believing that he forgot to scan one of his two items. I could see someone attempting to scan one and not realizing that it didn't scan, but you should recognize that the price is off by over $5.

I'm sure glad I didn't do anything stupid in college. :rolleyes:

Hopefully they are prosecuting evenly. I mean they just happened to notice the 6' 7" Black Guy and watched a little closer. Opens them up to a lot of scrutiny as well.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Um, because they are red AND delicious.

And cheap (for apples).
A little trivia for you. The Red Delicious variety was originally called the "Hawkeye" out of Peru, Iowa but was marketed as "Stark Delicious" by Stark Nurseries who bought it. They also bought a golden apple and named it "Golden Delicious". Eventually the Stark was dropped in favor of "Red".

Now think Hawkeye every time you bite into one.

To be fair, I'm pretty sure he was thinking Hawkeye State, not Iowa Hawkeyes since it was 1892. Iowa started playing football in 1890 and there was no real consensus on a nickname for University of Iowa teams for several years with names like "Cornhusker" being thrown around. Cornhusker was eventually copied by Nebraska.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Hopefully they are prosecuting evenly. I mean they just happened to notice the 6' 7" Black Guy and watched a little closer. Opens them up to a lot of scrutiny as well.
You don't know that. The white 5'8" convenience store clerk from Boone who gets charged with stealing $10 of stuff from Wal-Mart never makes the papers, but that doesn't mean it never happened.

• Winner
Reactions: AgronoCy and STLISU