Is Iowa's QB play really much improved?

lets-talk

Jun 13, 2018
Iowa fans are over the top about Nathan Stanley's performance in their recent game. Granted he did what he had to do, but I believe the Hawkeyes are getting carried away. 70% completion rate at home against a mac team is merely making par when the OL was feasting on a overmatched DL and he had allegedly the best receiving corps in the KF era to throw to. He did rumble for a couple first downs but I believe that was just setting up to get into heacock's head and slow the calling of pass rushes that are Stanleys Achilles heel. I don't believe that he is a threat to take off against a tough linebacking corps like isu's. On a related note, perhaps Stanley took the ribbing he receives on this site to heart 'coz he's apparently lost some weight.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Didn't watch the game but the stat lines looked good from Iowa. They are the typical Iowa smash mouth team, if Stanley is improved they are probably legitimate top 15. It will be a good win if we can find a way to get it done at home. I'm excited to see how the team responds.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Getting to him will definitely be important in that game.

It will be important for ISU to be in every backfield to be successful.

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

VegasCy

Dec 16, 2018
i think if we make them one dimensional it will help our cause more than anything. Stanley did most of his damage last year against Minnesota and Indiana, but he also had 5 games where he failed to throw for 200 yards. Interestingly, Iowa went 5-0 in those games. If Stanley needs to put a team on his back, that’s when he struggles.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I watch a fair amount of the game, and Stanley looked okay. He is big and strong and made a couple plays with guys hanging all over him. Threw some deep balls and took a few shots down the sideline that were not great passes. He threw a couple nice fad passes. Miami's pass defense was really bad and they left guys in single coverage for most of the game, because Iowa was running fairly well. Not sure if he is a lot better or if Miami was that bad in coverage. Stanley tends to struggle in game when the other team gets pressure on him early.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

mitchforcy

Dec 1, 2009
Stanley is better than some of our fans care to admit but I didn't see much improvement from last year. I'd probably expect about the same as we saw out of him last year against us.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
i think if we make them one dimensional it will help our cause more than anything. Stanley did most of his damage last year against Minnesota and Indiana, but he also had 5 games where he failed to throw for 200 yards. Interestingly, Iowa went 5-0 in those games. If Stanley needs to put a team on his back, that’s when he struggles.

Figured it would be a bigger problem if someone had to put Stanley on their back and carry him.

RedDog

Jan 28, 2014
Iowa fans are over the top about Nathan Stanley's performance in their recent game. Granted he did what he had to do, but I believe the Hawkeyes are getting carried away. 70% completion rate at home against a mac team is merely making par when the OL was feasting on a overmatched DL and he had allegedly the best receiving corps in the KF era to throw to. He did rumble for a couple first downs but I believe that was just setting up to get into heacock's head and slow the calling of pass rushes that are Stanleys Achilles heel. I don't believe that he is a threat to take off against a tough linebacking corps like isu's. On a related note, perhaps Stanley took the ribbing he receives on this site to heart 'coz he's apparently lost some weight.
Poor choices....is it a prerequisite for you tools?
https://www.press-citizen.com/pictu...gating-construction-iowa-hawkeyes/2199438001/

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
I watched about half the game ... he looked very solid and steady at times, and make some great throws. There were also a couple head-scratchers.

So, hard to tell if he was a little improved, or if Miami was just bad. I'd lean 40/60.

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines

Great catch. After holding UNI to 1.1 yards I'm optimistic we can make this happen

Reactions: aauummm

Help Support Us

Become a patron