Pete Mundo’s Ideal Big 12

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Im going to have to argue with you about tcu there. Their stadium is much smaller than a lot of the big 12 and they still have issues filling it due to fan support.

They have been down for a long time, so it's a bit understandable. I'm sure they wish they'd have stayed in the old SWC and been part of the Big 12. They had some good years in the SEC, but they had some good recruiting ties in Texas that were lost. From a pure football perspective I think Arkansas would be thrilled to be in a conference with UT, A&M and TTU.

Sports-wise I like WVU, but would prefer the geography and historical ties of swapping them for the likes of Arkansas. A&M is a pain in the ass, but from a business perspective if you have UT, A&M and TTU you have locked down pretty much every eyeball in Texas.

Though I'm pretty easy. Any idea that relegates Baylor to mid-major status is brilliant. Any idea that retains their high major status is horrible.

Going to be really interesting to see the impact of budgets.

Reactions: CyBobby

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Wish Iowa and ISU were in the same conference so we could still face off but have more variety in the non conf.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Arkansas coming back seems like a no brainier and a win win for both parties involved. Less travel to conference members, more conference rivalry, and quite a bit of history with the old SWC schools.

I'm not sure Iowa would fit work too well in the Big 12. Too much history and tradition with the original Big 10 members. I can't see them trading their Minnesota and Wisconsin games, even being in the Big 12 with Nebraska.

As small of a member as TCU is, they CARE about their football program. The lower half of the ACC can't say that with a strait face.

Yeah it wouldn’t make sense for Iowa to leave the Big 10. Pete used rivalries as his rationale; while it’d be fun for the CyHawk rivalry to be a conference divisional rivalry, their rivalries with Minnesota and Wisconsin are much more important than their new forced rivalry with Nebraska

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
What about one time (hopefully) COVID19 conferences? Cost cutting and regionalism in policy and risk tolerance seems like it could dictate it.

Does it cause divisiveness in private/public, or does state policy remove schools? ISU, Iowa, Nebraska, KU, KSU, MU, Minnesota, WI, maybe UNI...Illinois schools may be out, but Illinois downstate is a different dynamic.

clonehoodie

May 14, 2017
Once Texas and OU leave the Big 12, it is more likely the new Great Plains football conference would include
ISU
OSU
KU
KSU
North Dakota
NDSU
South Dakota
SDSU
We would definitely recruit competitively in this conference.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Once Texas and OU leave the Big 12, it is more likely the new Great Plains football conference would include
ISU
OSU
KU
KSU
North Dakota
NDSU
South Dakota
SDSU
We would definitely recruit competitively in this conference.

Barf. That’s not a power conference

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
For those of you that listen to the Heartland Big 12 podcast, Pete had a fun episode end of last week where he laid out his ideal Big 12 (all hypothetical of course)

https://www.heartlandcollegesports....-what-is-the-ideal-12-team-big-12-conference/

North:
Nebraska
Iowa State
Iowa
Kansas
Kansas State
Missouri

South:
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Texas
Texas A&M
Texas Tech
Arkansas

He left Baylor and TCU out for TV ratings, and WV out for geography. Wanted to bring back A&M’s rivalries back. Felt Arkansas was a better cultural fit in the Big 12.

Brought Nebraska and Missouri back because they’re a better fit in the Big 12. He added Iowa to bring their rivalries with ISU and Nebraska. Thought that was his most intriguing pick.

Again, completely hypothetical, but fun to do without much else to talk about.
iu

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
NORTH
---
Illinois
Iowa
Iowa State
Minnesota
Northwestern
Wisconsin

SOUTH
---
Kansas
Kansas State
Missouri
Nebraska
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State

Regional rivalries for Iowa State, most of the old Big Eight, and no Texas schools!

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
If we're going with ideal conferences, I'd just prefer to have the big 8 and big 10 pre-Penn State back. Then Iowa State has five non-conference games and can mix the schedule up more.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
If we're going with ideal conferences, I'd just prefer to have the big 8 and big 10 pre-Penn State back. Then Iowa State has five non-conference games and can mix the schedule up more.

If I could go back in time:

Original Big 12
Require ND to join Big 10
Require Pac to add Utah and BYU if they want 12
12 team SEC

ACC and Big East can work out the NE schools amongst themselves, don’t really care

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
In football, based on recent performances, KSU and Iowa would be reasons.
At least we know that Campbell can beat KSU...We also know that Campbell isn't going to beat Iowa in the forseeable future......After the 1st game against Iowa...a ten to seven loss, I knew, this series was a mistake and Huge Loser for Iowa State.....Hell even that incompetent Roads beat the hoks once in a while.....

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Personally I'd rather have TCU over A&M but I understand there lure of getting the SEC out of Texas. Opening that recruiting Avenue to the SEC probably is the biggest reason texas has been so average in recent history.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Swap Minnesota for Misery because **** them. Also, wouldn't mind the same treatment for Nebby.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
At least we know that Campbell can beat KSU...We also know that Campbell isn't going to beat Iowa in the forseeable future......After the 1st game against Iowa...a ten to seven loss, I knew, this series was a mistake and Huge Loser for Iowa State.....Hell even that incompetent Roads beat the hoks once in a while.....

No faith??? Here's my prediction for the fall. If we play in an empty Kinnick, Purdy wins by 3 touchdowns. If fans are present we still win by double digits.

clonehoodie

May 14, 2017
I would love to see ND join the Big 10 !!!!! No more easy schedules.

I wouldn't be so quick to say the Great Plains is not a power conference. How would ISU do against NDSU every year ?

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Other than their historical inclusion in the Big 10, Iowa is a good fit with the Big 12. Prior to Nebraska, Kinnick was the only Big 10 stadium west of the Mississippi. Iowa and Nebraska might be a forced rivalry, but it’s got some legitimate dislike. They could play Minnesota in the non conference like they do us currently.

It will never happen, but it’s not stupid at all.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Other than their historical inclusion in the Big 10, Iowa is a good fit with the Big 12. Prior to Nebraska, Kinnick was the only Big 10 stadium west of the Mississippi. Iowa and Nebraska might be a forced rivalry, but it’s got some legitimate dislike. They could play Minnesota in the non conference like they do us currently.

It will never happen, but it’s not stupid at all.

Will never happen($$), but the Big 10 seems hell bent on becoming an Eastern/Northeast conference. Wonder how their Midwest fanbases feel about the direction the conference went with MD and Rutgers

Reactions: Al_4_State