All Iowa Football Team---Post Bowl Edition

SouthernCy

Sep 8, 2019
Better than Goff? So, Iowa is getting away from a run first offense? If not, that guy would transfer probably.
Interestingly, Marc Morehouse commented on the tweet and sounds like that is the plan. They like their WR's this year and will be passing more to set up the run.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
View attachment 72043

Wow. This is an absolutely insane stat. No denying that Iowa is an OL factory, but wow

They need to ditch the Zone Blocking Scheme that was successful when KF first got there. KF talked about getting rid of it and going to a man to man scheme, but not sure that will be possible now with this limited offseason.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I think those are both true but anybody using that to make the statement that Petras is better than Goff is dumb.
OK, so you're not into stats comparison. Good to know. Ya those Hawk fans and their Goff love, watch out for those rascals.

SouthernCy

Sep 8, 2019
They need to ditch the Zone Blocking Scheme that was successful when KF first got there. KF talked about getting rid of it and going to a man to man scheme, but not sure that will be possible now with this limited offseason.
Do you think they should drop it for good? Just this season because of the players? Curious as you and other hawkeye fans thoughts on that subject actually. Running a zone blocking scheme is very tough and requires a pretty special type of offensive line man to be able to do it.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Do you think they should drop it for good? Just this season because of the players? Curious as you and other hawkeye fans thoughts on that subject actually. Running a zone blocking scheme is very tough and requires a pretty special type of offensive line man to be able to do it.

I think they should drop it. KF has alluded to the ever changing rules of blocking and what is legal and what isn't, has really hurt the zone blocking scheme in the last 10 years. He should have ditched it in the early 10s if you ask me.

SouthernCy

Sep 8, 2019
Interesting stat for sure. Still, in the last 5 seasons we have 3 top-25 finishes, 2 top-15 finishes, 3 straight bowl wins and came a yard from making the College Football Playoff. Always room to improve, but I'll take those results.
If you took my post as me trying to crap on them, that would be incorrect. If anything, I think it shows just how great the lines at Iowa have been and how they have really performed above what they should have given their absolutely abysmal offenses. Hats off to them for sure.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I think they should drop it. KF has alluded to the ever changing rules of blocking and what is legal and what isn't, has really hurt the zone blocking scheme in the last 10 years. He should have ditched it in the early 10s if you ask me.

Look at the Nebby game from 2017 in Lincoln. First half we ran mostly zone blocking scheme and had limited success. We changed up to gap blocking in the second half and ran all over them, ended with 300+ yards rushing at nearly 7 yards a pop.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

KF is really stubborn. That's his biggest fault IMO

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
KF is really stubborn. That's his biggest fault IMO

He is a football coach, most football coaches are stubborn. Having said that, he has shown more flexibility in the last five years and has even discussed dropping the zone blocking scheme before the Holiday Bowl.

theiacowtipper

Sep 6, 2010

There’s some recency bias in there. Ogeron is not the 4th best coach. At least not yet. He had a roster full of NFL talent but before last year he had underachieved. Let’s see what he does over more than one year.

Brian Kelly at 5. Really? Lol. Coach Ferentz is too high and Paul Chryst is too low. Pat Fitzgerald is too low.

All in all I think they put way too much weight to the last season.