How good can this team be?

What is your general feeling about the MBB Program entering the season?

• No Postseason; this young team will struggle to gel with so many new faces

Votes: 90 38.0%
  • Postseason, non-NCAA berth; team is full of raw potential, chemistry may develop slow, will compete

Votes: 68 28.7%
  • NCAA Berth; you think this team will surprise some people and finish top half of conference

Votes: 46 19.4%
  • Irrelevant; Season will produce inconsistent results amidst pandemic, season will end prematurely

Votes: 33 13.9%

• Total voters

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I haven't been keeping up, is there a Cy-Hawk bball game this year or no? Not listed on any schedule I can find (hoping no, tbh)

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Prohm will obviously get a pass this year, but I think it will go a long way if he can get this team to around .500 in conference play (or even 7-11) and a fringe bubble/NIT type of year. A lot to build on for next year if he can do that. If they flail around and go 5-13 or worse, that is bad news, but is it necessarily a let down given the landscape of the sport this year and what our expectations are as fans? He'll be back in 21-22 regardless of the answer
I’m on record as wanting to move on from Prohm. Talent wise I think we are mid pack or so. I think actual results are the same as last year.

I can’t find where I read it but I remember Prohm saying that he wants to use a 4 guard lineup this year. Unless it’s a semantics argument of who is a guard I have a problem with that. We have like 5 forwards this year. We have depth there. We also have some experience and high talent. We can’t waste that with rotating them all in one position.

I agree he is back regardless next year but that has more to do with finances in college athletics than anything.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Best case scenario, get into the tournament as 8-10 seed. Worse case is finish 9th. So many question marks that I lean towards saying they are going to miss the tournament his year. My guess is they finish 8th.

Reactions: Cyinthenorth

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I think that's the ceiling in the conference. If we go .500 in conference play, that'd be a tremendous year for this team.
I'd be extremely happy with .500. Might even call for a Prohm extension if he can get them there. Big 12 will be brutal (as always, though).

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Gonna be watching and hoping these guys surprise me, but I anticipate this year to be a struggle.

-- cleared out a lot of deadwood on the roster, but also lost a transcendent player... all of us know that, in basketball, you are defined more by your stars than you are by the depth of your bench

-- the new guys (of all classes) have a lot of potential, but little experience at this level... and a very weird offseason where it was hard to practice and workout together, which will probably hold them back

-- I still need to see it to believe it that we won't be just terrible at defense and on the boards

-- and, most of all, the Big 12 is just vicious this year... we could be significantly improved year-over-year but still do worse in conference simply because of how much better our opponents will be

-- I have no expectations, so anything good will only be a pleasant surprise for me... I am just glad we will get to have a season... not maybe the best in school history (like football is doing right now)

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
4 conference wins seems low. Unless, like you said, not all the games get played. We are better than K-State and TCU. Barring injuries or covid issues, I think we sweep them, so unless those are your 4 conference wins, I'm thinking we win a few more than that.

It's hard enough to sweep/win on the road for good teams with a lot of experience. I may be a game or two low in conference, but I don't think I'm off much.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I’m on record as wanting to move on from Prohm. Talent wise I think we are mid pack or so. I think actual results are the same as last year.

I can’t find where I read it but I remember Prohm saying that he wants to use a 4 guard lineup this year. Unless it’s a semantics argument of who is a guard I have a problem with that. We have like 5 forwards this year. We have depth there. We also have some experience and high talent. We can’t waste that with rotating them all in one position.

I agree he is back regardless next year but that has more to do with finances in college athletics than anything.
Interesting about the 4 guard lineup. Only thing I can think of is that we are most experienced at G with Bolton, Jackson, Harris and JC-L. The forwards are all freshman or newer pieces like Johnson. So maybe early on we see the guards until the forwards can get their feet a little more wet.

And totally agree with the bolded. If he were to have another awful season under normal/non-covid circumstances I think he'd be gone. But the financial landscape will keep him around regardless of end result.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Best case scenario, get into the tournament as 8-10 seed. Worse case is finish 9th. So many question marks that I lean towards saying they are going to miss the tournament his year. My guess is they finish 8th.
And let's hope 8th place they could still potentially be 7-11 and have decent enough metrics to make the NIT

Reactions: Halincandenza

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
That is a scare for me too, with Prohm's free-flowing offensive philosophy. While it can be fun and look explosive at times, it can also look really stagnant and lazy if too many players don't know what to do or what's going on. This being a young team, I can imagine we'll see plenty of the latter. At the same time, there are veterans on this team in the back court finally. Bolton and Jackson have 1 year+ in the program, and JC-L and Harris while newcomers, aren't new to the game.

Also add in the times when it seems ISU should be throwing a double occasionally at a post just to not let them get comfortable and it doesn't happen no matter how many times the guy scores, or there's just lots of space for the opponent to move around in their own offense.

Maybe there's been some growth. We'll see. I think I need to renew the ESPN+ app and I'll tune in.

LanningIsBakersDaddy

Nov 7, 2019
Chicago, IL
Interesting about the 4 guard lineup. Only thing I can think of is that we are most experienced at G with Bolton, Jackson, Harris and JC-L. The forwards are all freshman or newer pieces like Johnson. So maybe early on we see the guards until the forwards can get their feet a little more wet.

And totally agree with the bolded. If he were to have another awful season under normal/non-covid circumstances I think he'd be gone. But the financial landscape will keep him around regardless of end result.
I know this was thrown around a little bit, but maybe this means Javan Johnson is running PG (I have no idea if this is even a possibility). I know he's technically a power forward, but in this scenario he could be considered a guard.... I think the team has too much talent with the bigger guys to only rotate them at one spot.

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins

I think this is more semantics. I know the official roster has Johnson and Blackwell listed as forwards, but I think Prohm thinks of them, at least offensively, as guards. They definitely aren't the post-up type that we had with Jacobson playing the 4 last year. If you're wanting to see lineups with two out of the three of Young, Conditt, and Foster, I don't think that will happen. But if you add Johnson and Blackwell to that group, I think Johnson will probably be starting at the 4, and Prohm said that Blackwell is mostly playing the 4 as well.

Reactions: Statefan10

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
We went 9-9 in the 2018-2019 season with a roster that had these guys on it:

Nick Weiler-Babb
Marial Shayok
Cam Lard
Lindell Wigginton
Tyrese Haliburton
Talen Horton-Tucker

If this year's team finishes a game or two within that one, I will be absolutely shocked. One of the Sweet 16 Teams with Georges and the boys finished 10-8 and 6th place in the conference. It's just dang hard with a round-robin in this conference to win a bunch of games, even with really talented teams.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I know this was thrown around a little bit, but maybe this means Javan Johnson is running PG (I have no idea if this is even a possibility). I know he's technically a power forward, but in this scenario he could be considered a guard.... I think the team has too much talent with the bigger guys to only rotate them at one spot.
I agree. We really have what appears to be depth in the post with Solo/Conditt/Foster but will be really hard to get 2 of them on the court at the same time unless one has developed a new skill set that would allow it. I can't imagine playing 2 of them together would yield any different result than the awful Jacobson/Conditt or Jacobson/Solo lineups did last year. It'll be one of those have to see it to believe it type of things.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
We went 9-9 in the 2018-2019 season with a roster that had these guys on it:

Nick Weiler-Babb
Marial Shayok
Cam Lard
Lindell Wigginton
Tyrese Haliburton
Talen Horton-Tucker

If this year's team finishes a game or two within that one, I will be absolutely shocked. One of the Sweet 16 Teams with Georges and the boys finished 10-8 and 6th place in the conference. It's just dang hard with a round-robin in this conference to win a bunch of games, even with really talented teams.
You raise a good point. 7-11 would be absolutely best case scenario with this squad. 5-13 seeming more likely. My only counterpoint would be that while talented, that 18-19 squad was deeply flawed in its chemistry, and young. The 20-21 will be similar in one of those ways, in that they are young. Time will tell how the chemistry shakes out.

LanningIsBakersDaddy

Nov 7, 2019
Chicago, IL
I agree. We really have what appears to be depth in the post with Solo/Conditt/Foster but will be really hard to get 2 of them on the court at the same time unless one has developed a new skill set that would allow it. I can't imagine playing 2 of them together would yield any different result than the awful Jacobson/Conditt or Jacobson/Solo lineups did last year. It'll be one of those have to see it to believe it type of things.
Yeah I agree here. Although, I think Xavier Foster's ability to stretch the floor and knock down some shots could get him some playing time at the four with Foster/Solo at the five. From the highlights I've seen Foster seems to be able to shoot the ball at a higher level than Jacobson. But, yeah I would have to see it to believe it.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
Seems the injury and illness (non COVID) bugs have plagued them so far. That makes me less optimistic since this team needed all the preparation they could get.
I agree with others that this team is more talented. I’d be happy with 10 wins. The Big 12 looks stacked, so I don’t see many wins outside of KState or TCU.
Hopefully they can steal a few at home.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron