How good can this team be?

What is your general feeling about the MBB Program entering the season?

• No Postseason; this young team will struggle to gel with so many new faces

Votes: 90 38.0%
  • Postseason, non-NCAA berth; team is full of raw potential, chemistry may develop slow, will compete

Votes: 68 28.7%
  • NCAA Berth; you think this team will surprise some people and finish top half of conference

Votes: 46 19.4%
  • Irrelevant; Season will produce inconsistent results amidst pandemic, season will end prematurely

Votes: 33 13.9%

• Total voters

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
A lot of newcomers, so a lot of unknown. Kind of difficult to project. Hinson being out certainly caps the potential, but to what extent? So many open-ended questions surround this season. Will it even play out to its entirety?

Media outlets everywhere have us no higher than 7th in Big 12 Pre-season rankings. Tough to argue with that. I guess I'm trying to gauge what the general consensus is amongst the fan base.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
A lot of newcomers, so a lot of unknown. Kind of difficult to project. Hinson being out certainly caps the potential, but to what extent? So many open-ended questions surround this season. Will it even play out to its entirety?

Media outlets everywhere have us no higher than 7th in Big 12 Pre-season rankings. Tough to argue with that. I guess I'm trying to gauge what the general consensus is amongst the fan base.
I think we have some nice pieces that are going to gel together well after a while, however the conference being really good will hurt our chances of making the NCAA tournament.

We're going to be a lot more athletic and talented than last year and the basketball on both ends of the floor will look better, but that may not equate to wins.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
A better more competitive year but still probably bottom 1/3ish of the league as far as talent and coaching. Some pieces are there but it reminds me more of Prohm teams that have struggled than his teams that were good. Squeaking in the post season is the ceiling. Idk if they even hold the NIT this year though so who knows.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I pegged the over/under at a win % of .400 in another thread.

I would definitely take the under on that and am thinking it will be more like .350.

• Informative
Reactions: CyBobby

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I think with better coaching they have the potential to be decent. That said I think it’s a miserable year.
Prohm will obviously get a pass this year, but I think it will go a long way if he can get this team to around .500 in conference play (or even 7-11) and a fringe bubble/NIT type of year. A lot to build on for next year if he can do that. If they flail around and go 5-13 or worse, that is bad news, but is it necessarily a let down given the landscape of the sport this year and what our expectations are as fans? He'll be back in 21-22 regardless of the answer

• Agree
Reactions: motorcy90

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
There are a lot of unknowns, but also a lot of talent. My favorite type of year, because expectations aren't terribly high (in part due to a strong conference), but the potential is there for some real excitement.
I am encouraged by the new faces we'll see. We don't know how they'll all pan out yet, but the unknown is so much more exciting than the known of Lewis and Griffin were last year. If we had those 2 coming back this year instead of say, JC-L and Harris, I would not be looking forward to the season at all. No offense to those guys.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I am encouraged by the new faces we'll see. We don't know how they'll all pan out yet, but the unknown is so much more exciting than the known of Lewis and Griffin were last year. If we had those 2 coming back this year instead of say, JC-L and Harris, I would not be looking forward to the season at all. No offense to those guys.
No disrespect to Lewis and Griffin, but Harris and JCL are much better basketball players than those two.

helechopper

Loyal Son Forever True
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2006
Chicago
Too many new players, too few preseason cupcakes to build confidence and gel, too many talented teams in the top of the conference to allow us to blossom.

Regardless, I’m so excited to watch ISU basketball this Sunday. One of my favorite aspects of the new season is seeing the new players. Cant wait.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Might play some decent ball at times but if history is any indication there will be a lot of 'what exactly is the plan today/tonight?' going on.

• Agree
Reactions: arobb

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I don’t see it any better than that. 5 non-con wins and 4 conference wins.

I thought win % was a better metric than straight wins, guessing Covid has some implications on # of games actually played.
4 conference wins seems low. Unless, like you said, not all the games get played. We are better than K-State and TCU. Barring injuries or covid issues, I think we sweep them, so unless those are your 4 conference wins, I'm thinking we win a few more than that.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Might play some decent ball at times but if history is any indication there will be a lot of 'what exactly is the plan today/tonight?' going on.
That is a scare for me too, with Prohm's free-flowing offensive philosophy. While it can be fun and look explosive at times, it can also look really stagnant and lazy if too many players don't know what to do or what's going on. This being a young team, I can imagine we'll see plenty of the latter. At the same time, there are veterans on this team in the back court finally. Bolton and Jackson have 1 year+ in the program, and JC-L and Harris while newcomers, aren't new to the game.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I don’t see it any better than that. 5 non-con wins and 4 conference wins.

I thought win % was a better metric than straight wins, guessing Covid has some implications on # of games actually played.
I believe we'll get 5 non-con wins as well, but I'd be incredibly disappointed with only 4 conference wins.

I think we beat OSU, OU, K-State, and TCU at least once. Guessing we beat 2 of those teams twice. I think we'll get Texas at home and possibly 1 upset against the likes of 1 of the top 4 teams. That'd get us 7 or 8 conference wins.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
I was hovering around an NIT caliber or maybe a first round exit NCAA will be a good result for the season expectations at most. will have to see if Prohm can make a lot of us eat our words if the season plays out fully or close to it, otherwise he should really be on the hot seat this year..

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I believe we'll get 5 non-con wins as well, but I'd be incredibly disappointed with only 4 conference wins.

I think we beat OSU, OU, K-State, and TCU at least once. Guessing we beat 2 of those teams twice. I think we'll get Texas at home and possibly 1 upset against the likes of 1 of the top 4 teams. That'd get us 7 or 8 conference wins.
I have us, optimistically, in that 7-8 conference win category.

• Optimistic
Reactions: TXCyclones