Howard Brown up 20+ lbs?

cymonw1980

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC
Coach Rasheed says Howard Brown is up to around 330 lbs of good weight... how much will he play this year? Even if he doesn't start, could he be playing half (or more) of the snaps by the end of the year? I know he is raw at DL but if he played QB gotta think he can learn DL... anyway really excited to see what he can do this year and the rest of his career.

• Informative
Reactions: aauummm

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Others with more experience will probably be able to answer better. But I would say if he has the size and strength, its all about learning the technique. I don't recall if in high school he played D-line, but recall he was their QB. But if he has no D line experience, if he's a quick learner, he could get some snaps by end of year.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
He's already on campus. Brown's athleticism will get him some reps this fall. Eli gave him a glowing review. The NT rotation will be Lee, Singleton, Brown with Uwazurike occasionally filling in.

Will McDonald finally in the 240-245 range is right where we want him. Adding muscle without sacrificing speed and agility. Can't wait to see an updated roster!

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
If he can stay low, a big stumbling block for many HS to college kids who had enough size to basically toss people around, he will see the field i would imagine.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
He’s a freak. Kind of like Irving was, but different type and position. Really just comes down to knowing his assignments/proper technique. I have no doubt he will see a little playing time due to natural ability, but it’s up to him how much and how long until until he’s the guy.

Reactions: t-noah and BigCyFan

cymonw1980

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC
He's already on campus. Brown's athleticism will get him some reps this fall. Eli gave him a glowing review. The NT rotation will be Lee, Singleton, Brown with Uwazurike occasionally filling in.

Will McDonald finally in the 240-245 range is right where we want him. Adding muscle without sacrificing speed and agility. Can't wait to see an updated roster!

didn't hear about McDonald's weight gain... did he mention it? I am interested to see how much he adds. Obviously, don't want to slow him down, but at 235 teams were running at him and letting him run himself out of the play, or used bigger guys to move him out of the way... I could see him splitting time with some of the bigger DEs if he is a liability in the run game... obviously, a game changer on pass rush.. no one could block him without holding.

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
didn't hear about McDonald's weight gain... did he mention it? I am interested to see how much he adds. Obviously, don't want to slow him down, but at 235 teams were running at him and letting him run himself out of the play, or used bigger guys to move him out of the way... I could see him splitting time with some of the bigger DEs if he is a liability in the run game... obviously, a game changer on pass rush.. no one could block him without holding.

Luckily for the other teams they rarely threw the flag for those holdings though.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com

Eli mentions McDonald's weight @ 12:15

Also remember Campbell mentioning (can't remember which interview) he felt that McDonald was actually doing a better job against the run later in the season.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Hopefully HB can get 4 games of quality reps in the second half of the season and the rest of the time Lee Singleton Uwaz fill the role.
With that said, if he’s an early NFL talent guy, maybe redshirt won’t be necessary!

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Not just “up 20’pounds”, but up almost to 330.

With him, J.R. Singleton, and some of the guys we’re currently recruiting, the middle of the defense is going to be a monster for years to come.

Even better, more toys in Jon Heacock’s toybox for him to play around with.

I like it.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Not just “up 20’pounds”, but up almost to 330.

With him, J.R. Singleton, and some of the guys we’re currently recruiting, the middle of the defense is going to be a monster for years to come.

Even better, more toys in Jon Heacock’s toybox for him to play around with. My point is did he cut the bad weight then add the muscle.

I like it.

Was 330 confirmed? Reason I ask he came in with some "bad" weight and the quote was 20# of good weight not 20#.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
If he can stay low, a big stumbling block for many HS to college kids who had enough size to basically toss people around, he will see the field i would imagine.
How low can he get with that size and those thighs? LOL. I hope low enough.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006

Also remember Campbell mentioning (can't remember which interview) he felt that McDonald was actually doing a better job against the run later in the season.
I heard the same interview with Campbell describing how well that McDonald graded out against the run. Basically said that he was just as valuable both against the run and playing in coverage as he was rushing the passer. This was at last season's weight so can people stop being obsessed with him needing to gain 15-20 lbs to be a complete player.

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins

I thought he was actually pretty good against the run a lot of last season. Not as good as Bailey or Uwazurike obviously, but he wasn't being taken advantage of much. Against K-State, they had him in on the fourth and goal play. McDonald was the read for the KSU quarterback and he played it perfectly. White got the stop, but McDonald made the QB hesitate.