Report: OU & Texas reach out to join SEC

Roosterman

Mar 14, 2009
Why is it only UT and OU have this take? They think they are OWED something, that they CARRIED everyone, they DESERVE MORE.

They dont understand how a team works, they dont understand NO other conference works that way. They cant realize how Alabama doesnt think this vs the Arkansas and Vandy schools and OSU does not vs the Illinois and Indiana schools. So why do they have this in their heads and why when you try to call them out on their arrogance they just get worse.

I just dont get how anyone can have that take. How you can go through the way the Big 12 bent backwards for them forever and they still act like they deserve more. Its such overblown egos that its insane.

You are finding out that the world is tough. Texas is not the devil all the members of the B12 said they were. Neb lied, Aggy lied and we equalized in 2011. Its an Urban myth that Texas is some bully that treats its partners bad. I love ISU and hope they land in the B1g but hating on Texas got you here today. Its over. Cyclones.

iowastatefan1929

Oct 26, 2006
You are finding out that the world is tough. Texas is not the devil all the members of the B12 said they were. Neb lied, Aggy lied and we equalized in 2011. Its an Urban myth that Texas is some bully that treats its partners bad. I love ISU and hope they land in the B1g but hating on Texas got you here today. Its over. Cyclones.

yes its over because we and the leftover big 12 and G5 and FCS are forming a new paradigm of decentralized college football, fully tokenized from top to bottom, we are exiting the system, we wish you luck sir but we will not being seeing each other again, our new system is not compatible with the old sorry

iowastatefan1929

Oct 26, 2006
cant wait till they find out that march madness because march sadness

decentralized and tokenized march basketball tourneys will bring out chaos like we have never seen

im thinking our first tourney should be in kansas city

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
OU doesn't have exposure or recruiting problems. They've had a problem with coaching defense.

It's easy to say that OU doesn't have a recruiting problem, but relative to the top schools in the SEC, they do. That's who they want to beat in the playoffs, or the top schools from ACC/B1G.

If you look at how many B12 kids get drafted vs SEC and even ACC/B1G, it's clear that this league isn't keeping up talent wise.

According to this link which looks at NFL players by school/conference, OU has one more player on NFL rosters than Iowa.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Tweet

Kirk Bohls
@kbohls

·
55m

I'm told Big Ten is so much more interested in AAU schools than Pac-12 is. I'm told Kansas and Iowa State (both AAU members) "made a run at Big Ten, but I don't know if they'll get any place," Big 12 source says.

See new Tweets
For your teams sake, it’s good if the big ten takes us. Don’t think you want the pac 12 deciding between ISU and KSU.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

Counterpoint - Texas has destroyed every conference it has ever been a part of and continues to claim "it's their fault, not ours". In other words, Texas and its fan base has the maturity of an 8-year old child.

You know what I'd prefer - Texas owning the fact that they're Lex Luthor in this: "We make money and you don't, so we're going to get ours, and if that means your death in the process, so be it. Sucks to be you." At least then you all would be honest.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
It's easy to say that OU doesn't have a recruiting problem, but relative to the top schools in the SEC, they do. That's who they want to beat in the playoffs, or the top schools from ACC/B1G.

If you look at how many B12 kids get drafted vs SEC and even ACC/B1G, it's clear that this league isn't keeping up talent wise.

According to this link which looks at NFL players by school/conference, OU has one more player on NFL rosters than Iowa.

I think the NFL thing could have a lot to do with schematics and coaching.

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering

Except OU will still be competing against the same schools for the same talent without any unique advantages. Being in the SEC won't change that. If they start losing 2-3 games a year and miss the conference championship game a few times in a row they become Florida sans beaches.

Thorongil Clone

Gone to Numenor
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2021
Tweet

Kirk Bohls
@kbohls

·
55m

I'm told Big Ten is so much more interested in AAU schools than Pac-12 is. I'm told Kansas and Iowa State (both AAU members) "made a run at Big Ten, but I don't know if they'll get any place," Big 12 source says.

See new Tweets
O look what an ******* from Texas tweeted! And a K State ******* repeated it, here.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Also important to note trends. ISU's attendance and TV trends are positive while CFB as a whole are not good.

Basically ad value for a team comes down to how popular the team is. TV and attendance give us that. Sure, there are some teams where attendance doesn't correlate great with their brand value, but that argument probably only holds water with Miami and USC. Not sure it applies with anybody else.

Also, I don't think AD budget is a valid metric. Most of it is media contracts, which is driven by the big dogs in the conference they're in. The rest is donations, which they aren't redistributing. Donations enable a school to maybe endure some worse conference entry conditions, but that's it.

What attendance and TV viewership suggests that in terms of media value:
- The bottom half to 1/3 of the ACC and PAC are really low value.
- The B10s top (OSU, UM, PSU) are great, the mid-tier is solid, the bottom 5 or so are bad.

If these metrics are reasonable indicators, ISU would be a mid-tier Big 10 team, and mid-upper PAC or ACC team.

I know that people have whatever outdated feelings about "brand," but actual metrics suggest ISU is more valuable than a lot of teams considered to be safe, and ISU is trending in the right direction.

Two final caveats:
1. The old cable satellite "market size" value is going away, but it's not gone yet. So that is a negative, particularly in the near-term for ISU.
2. We know that football is the driver, but MBB viewership and valuable still is a factor in the total media contracts. Despite ISU sucking for two years, it still delivers above average value here.
Number 1 gets helped by being PAC instead of big 10. They won’t see it as the same footprint. Not that it is a large one, but at least a separate one.

• Agree
Reactions: Yellow Snow

iowastatefan1929

Oct 26, 2006
see texas is simply a poor leader, they have no vision, they can only look and say, there the SEC is better than us and waddle over and join the SEC, they are weak minded, poor leaders and vision less

but let me tell you texas fans, we invented the first computer, iowa st will step up and fill the power vacuum that you have left in your wake, and show you how you lead

ClonesInDallas

Dec 16, 2020
You are finding out that the world is tough. Texas is not the devil all the members of the B12 said they were. Neb lied, Aggy lied and we equalized in 2011. Its an Urban myth that Texas is some bully that treats its partners bad. I love ISU and hope they land in the B1g but Texas being horribly mediocre the last 10 years got you here today. Its over. Cyclones.

Fixed it for you. If you're gonna suck, may as well make more money sucking.

Horns Down

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
I think if the PAC 12 expands, the B1G does too and grabs ISU and KU.

I still don’t understand why people are trying to look at this like it was 10 years ago. Conferences have nothing to do with this.

this is fox sports vs disney. The sec crushed everyone with their move. The ACC is their second tier network.

Fox needs to stop the hemorrhaging, or they’re looking at losing any grip on the top tier name brand schools.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
This is all simply a reflection of changing dynamics in a "somewhat" capitalist market. The weak have to strengthen their position to survive, compete, and grow.

What Stoops wrote above is true. This is great for Oklahoma on the surface. They are acting in their own best interests, just as ISU, oSu, and K-State will do going forward.

I will also say that normally operations do not improve by buying out one's competitor. They improve by internal development.