Rumor has it...three Big 12 teams were unwilling to commit to ...

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
lol why would ESPN care if West Virginia was in the ACC? I suppose I could buy the Kansas angle.

For that matter, isn't the ACC's tv deal locked in at a pretty low rate until like 2035 why would Kansas take that option now?
I don’t think there’s teeth to it, but in the hypothetical scenario, WVU, outside of Kansas, would probably have the best basketball program of the teams available, and it even geographically fits.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Cy Hawk series would end because Iowa would want to play only at Kinnick and we would refuse.
True, but I'm just talking about simply having to live next to these people. Friends, family members, coworkers who bleed black n gold and wouldn't ever let us ISU fans hear the end of getting "demoted". I'd honestly have to consider moving out of state.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
lol why would ESPN care if West Virginia was in the ACC? I suppose I could buy the Kansas angle.

For that matter, isn't the ACC's tv deal locked in at a pretty low rate until like 2035 why would Kansas take that option now?
Aside from WVU seeming like a natural fit in the ACC, geographically, I don't get that either.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I don’t think there’s teeth to it, but in the hypothetical scenario, WVU, outside of Kansas, would probably have the best basketball program of the teams available, and it even geographically fits.
WVU is one Bob Huggins retirement away from being irrelevant in Men's CBB.

20eyes

May 15, 2020
I agree with all of this. But I'll also throw out there that I'd still find a way to have fun at an ISU vs Air Force league game under the lights at JTS.

I know it's a step down. I know if SUCKS financially. But I'm sure we would still rally around the good guys and our community would live on
I don't believe that in practice it will be "a step down". From where we are now it will be a flight of stairs, down. We won't be watching ISU dominate the AAC because Matt Campbell will be gone. Recruiting will crater. None of the physical improvements on the boards will ever happen. It's a nice sentiment to want to carry on, but when I converted in '97 I always had hope that one day we could win a (power) conference championship or a NYD Bowl. Matt Campbell has us at that level now. W/o P5/P4 status, it's all gone. Obviously, it's only my opinion...but w/o the opportunity for the Cyclones to compete at the highest level it's just going to feel hollow to me. I won't be able to invest my time/money into an ISU program that doesn't at least have a shot at P4 greatness.

And for all the CF heroes that will "dumb" this, remember that for the modern history of ISU, the Cyclones have been in a power conference. None of us knows what it's like to follow a program that's on the outside looking in. If/when relegation happens the interest simply won't be there for ISU football anymore. Personally, it will kill my interest in college football. If America wants NFL lite, they can have it. I'll just focus on the NFL...

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
extending the GOR along with the "remaining eight". Supposedly, neither ISU nor KU (also WVU) would do so today at the conference telemeeting. Might mean something, might not.
Can't have a GOR extension without an extended TV deal(s).

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I've gone through too many ISU nut cups to presume we survive this at a power-conference level. Expect the worst, hope for the best. The Air Force picture that was mentioned above sounds awful and frightening. Think of what our brethren to the east would say if Iowa State went down a level or half level. We would basically be viewed the same as UNI. No thanks.

I think you worry to much about what those jackoffs say

Reactions: 20eyes

CYTUTT

Nov 25, 2012
So, the way I understand it is that technically, TX and OU could be on the hook for a combined $150M for their existing GOR obligation. If other teams start finding new homes can the remaining ones collect that or collect from the other defectors? When does a conference officially not exist?

Let's say K St and Okie St can't find a new home. Can they claim Big XII GOR income from the others for the next couple of years?

This is a great point. If the other schools don’t stay together, then there is no confrence. It may be an out for OUUT.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
The guy before him went to the elite 8 and Sweet 16....
Oh yeah, Beilein, the other HOF coach they've had. This is the Green Bay Packers QB situation in CBB form. No way can there be 3 straight HOF caliber individuals in these roles for these 2 organizations. Luck runs out at some point

Reactions: Carlisle Clone

tomar1

Aug 16, 2008
I think people need to understand that if this Big 10 thing does happen within the next few weeks/months that we're scumbags that jeopardized the well-being of Big 12 Conference members right alongside OU, UT, and KU. Not as big as OU and UT because we'd be reacting with our own interests in mind above others, but still scumbags nonetheless. I'd still hate them for it, but unfortunately we'd be allies in trying to split from the Big 12 as quickly and as inexpensively as possible.
Every school for themselves, get the best deal they can get!

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA

I requested to follow him and he accepted it. This is why he said he made his account private for now:

MHver3

@MHver3

·
1h

So I just checked with my sources after learning of TX and OU formal request for SEC membership. All I’m told is there is a total clampdown on information now and I must go silent again for the short term. I will make this account public again when I have info to share.