Perspective from the Big Ten and some much needed clarifications

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Iowa State doesn't move the proverbial needle from an incremental TV rights $, but for every "needle mover" there is a strong likelihood the BIG10 and SEC will need to add quality universities. As much as the SEC can talk SOS, 8-4 teams are a tough sell to make a 12 team playoff.

The SEC may not done at 16, unless they go with a home/road schedule each season within divisional games.

IMO KU & ISU could make a lot of sense for the SEC or Big10. A lot has been made if ISU's great fit in the Big10, but that fit is pretty strong if the SEC included OU, Okie State, Arkansas, Mizzou, KU and ISU.

Also, the Matt Campbell Cyclones would move the needle when the playoff expands to 12 teams. Especially if a playoff team's conference get a bigger payout than the current playoff format.
This is a great take and honestly ISU might actually be a better fit in the SEC. However as I've said before everyone keeps calling them Matt Campbells cyclones. I don't know much about the guy but he is the number one coaching candidate to be swooped up for insane money. If he leaves I am not sure if you can maintain the level, i know we certainly couldn't do it at MSU but I hope he is your forever coach.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
3. Michigan and Ohio State aren't going anywhere. I cant say this enough, there is no concern about these schools leaving the conference. Keyboard warriors and sports blogs might be spouting this nonsense but sports do not run these schools especially in a place like Michigan who loses out on great recruits all the time due to academics.
Wow. Please support this claim? Who has Michigan lost out on?
For example, Juwon Howard is able to sign highly recruited players who don't seem to have to clear a very high academic bar.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyclones1969

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
That's funny that other schools call Iowa the farm school.

Good to know.

Do they know that?
Michigan State is considered a farm school because we used to be a primary ag college called Michigan Agricultural College. We still do have a great ag program (turf grass management for the win) but we also have 2 med schools, a vet school, law school, and a particle collider. Nowadays that term is almost exclusively used by Michigan fans. Iowa is considered a farm school just because it is in Iowa as ****** as that is. Most of the midwest doesn't know a lot about iowa besides corn and the hospital wave. (in my experience)

CentexCyclone

Oct 20, 2015
Issue is that Iowa State doesn't check off the most important box, which you highlight on #4. Iowa State doesn't move the proverbial needle. It's because of this, Iowa State will never be invited into the Big 10.

Granted, ISU may not bring a huge National brand, but the playoff expansion could change this calculus.

In 2019, power 5 athletic programs generated nearly $3B in revenue, most of it from football.

Some are estimating that the 11 playoff games could be worth up to $2B! That’s huge $$$ compared to a normal, regular season game.

Under CMC, ISU could regularly contend for a play off spot and increase the B1G’s likelihood of grabbing more playoff cash.

Reactions: cyence

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Wow. Please support this claim? Who has Michigan lost out on?
For example, Juwon Howard is able to sign highly recruited players who don't seem to have to clear a very high academic bar.

Here is the link to the most recent one a few months ago. Committed to Michigan over bama and others, got screwed over by admissions and was forced to ask for a release. Not the first time or last time it will happen. Michigan fans use it as an excuse too much but it is real.

ImperialCyclone

Sep 11, 2012
I agree with OP…ISU isn’t going to get a B1G invite anytime soon. I will point out the “tv market” argument is antiquated. Butts in seats matter. That is a huge selling point to a conference (may not be B1G). Iowa is also a state with a huge CFB market share (meaning most Iowans watch college football). With cord cutting, big 10 will lose out on 40-50% of Iowa market share. That is no small potatoes. U of I doesn’t carry Iowa like you think they do and cord cutting is a killer for the B1G. A school like an ISU thus brings value there along with relevant inventory. We could contend in the west (not saying we would win every year, just contend). I think the B1G may be forced to expand by Fox. The Pac 12 will be talking to ISU/Okie State/KU and either KSU or TCU. That may sway things a bit for the B1G. Who knows. It’s going to be weird either way. At some point, the acc and the SEC will combine and so will the B1G and Pac12 anyway.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Michigan State is considered a farm school because we used to be a primary ag college called Michigan Agricultural College. We still do have a great ag program (turf grass management for the win) but we also have 2 med schools, a vet school, law school, and a particle collider. Nowadays that term is almost exclusively used by Michigan fans. Iowa is considered a farm school just because it is in Iowa as ****** as that is. Most of the midwest doesn't know a lot about iowa besides corn and the hospital wave. (in my experience)

ISU used to be the Iowa Agricultural College, has a great ag school and vet med as well (no med or law school, those are at UI, as well as another good law school at Drake in Des Moines).

Sounds like you have a lot more in common with us than UI.

Reactions: FriendlySpartan

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

He's not disputing MSU being a "farm school" (I know it is - I've lived in the Detroit metro for a decade now and started secondarily following MSU - well, after finally deciding to get over the "blarge" back in 2000. And I'm also well aware of "MAC", just like ISU a long time ago was "IAC"). We're well aware that MSU is a land grant university, which pretty much implies agriculture.

He's laughing at the idea of Iowa being a "farm school". It's anything but. That whole "ANF" was Hayden Fry's baby, in part to get the farmers on board with Iowa as well as a slap in the face to ISU, the true ag college in Iowa.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA

Here is the link to the most recent one a few months ago. Committed to Michigan over bama and others, got screwed over by admissions and was forced to ask for a release. Not the first time or last time it will happen. Michigan fans use it as an excuse too much but it is real.
Thanks for the link - I just notice that Howard signs basketball players from IMG Academy, or prep schools, which tell me academics aren't that heavily weighted.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Thanks for the link - I just notice that Howard signs basketball players from IMG Academy, or prep schools, which tell me academics aren't that heavily weighted.
You aren't wrong with that assumption. The only thing I will say is that those basketball prep schools bend over backwards to make their transcripts look awesome so their players can get into good academic schools with elite basketball programs like duke, stanford, michigan, unc etc. Little different for the football guys going to public school but your point stands.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
You aren't wrong with that assumption. The only thing I will say is that those basketball prep schools bend over backwards to make their transcripts look awesome so their players can get into good academic schools with elite basketball programs like duke, stanford, michigan, unc etc. Little different for the football guys going to public school but your point stands.
Michigan State is a great peer institution of Iowa State, and vice versa. Many Spartan grads here in faculty/staff positions, including a couple of department heads. Iowa State grads at East Lansing as well.
Two great land grant universities.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Michigan State is a great peer institution of Iowa State, and vice versa. Many Spartan grads here in faculty/staff positions, including a couple of department heads. Iowa State grads at East Lansing as well.
Two great land grant universities.
Totally agree! Also while I dont know if iowa would do it Michigan tried to block our entry into the big ten back in the 20's before they relented and allowed us in back in 1949.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Yeah...was just saying it in jist to how much Iowa fans give ISU sh*t for being a strong ag school, which makes no sense since agriculture is kind of a huge ****ing deal in the whole state. They'll rip on Ames for being surrounded by cornfields...like literally every single town in Iowa is.

Anyway, next time you find yourself around Iowa fans, please let them know of their farm school status. Most of them have not hardly stepped foot in Iowa City nor do they know much about the actual university, but it will definitely get them riled up.

cysmiley

Jun 30, 2012
This is correct, they share research and very occasionally facilities (like our cyclotron at State or Michigan's Burn center) but the money isn't distributed evenly.
Will the fact that researchers at ISU often work with BIG schools help move the needle a bit? I know my daughter worked with MSU, tOSU and PSU on some projects worth about 60 mil over 5 years. And i know she got the some of the grants, and solicited help from BIG institutions. Probably wishful thinking but we are probably grasping at straws as a fanbase.

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames

Curious how this compares to B1G or SEC schools

Those numbers actually give me hope. If you break them down, that means an average viewership of 1.68 million per school. That puts us above average. Considering that the average payout is $37M, football has significantly increased the market value of our brand....quite possibly to the point where we're no longer a major financial liability to take in as a member.

Reactions: OnlyCyclones