Perspective from the Big Ten and some much needed clarifications

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
I agree with this as well. In my opinion, there is no reason for the Big 10 to "grab schools" just to keep up with the SEC. They are not in a position to require knee jerk instant reactions to keep up. They'll probably play it chill and see what shakes out.

That said, if the PAC schools don't go Big 10, and grab the B12 leftovers as has been rumored, sign a GOR. There will be slim pickings for them (AAU schools) when they feel the need to get to 16. If they can wait until 2030 or whatever for ACC schools, more power to them.

Yeah, I’ve been thinking this as well. If the ACC’s GOR is so rock solid now, and the PAC locks up the inventory and sets up a rock solid GOR…where is the B1G going to head when quality inventory is needed? I can almost guarantee that future rights are going to get more ironclad now after this…you can’t have inventory like this just slip away at will.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
I appreciate the perspective but an awful lot has changed in the last five days. You may end up being totally correct but I think there’s an equal or greater chance that you won’t be. Whether that pertains to Iowa Stare or not.
If you have a different perspective or another idea I would love to hear it. The thing is that not a lot has changed for the big ten and honestly very little has changed yet for the SEC. I know sports media talks non stop about the college football world exploding but there is nothing to indicate that the big ten is looking to make a move at all. Again this move by the SEC was to catch up to the big ten. They could very well panic and decide to add teams but there is very little indication that they need to and any response to the SEC's addition is going to look pretty sad by comparison.

• Friendly
  • Informative
Reactions: aauummm and cyputz

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Yeah, I’ve been thinking this as well. If the ACC’s GOR is so rock solid now, and the PAC locks up the inventory and sets up a rock solid GOR…where is the B1G going to head when quality inventory is needed? I can almost guarantee that future rights are going to get more ironclad now after this…you can’t have inventory like this just slip away at will.

This is not as big a deal as you think it is. A new PAC deal isn't going to be anywhere near the value per team of the next B1G deal, and the same is true of the deal the ACC has now through 2035.

Like the teams leaving for the SEC, at any point in the future the B1G can focus on one or two and the main bullet point will be "straight cash homie."

Reactions: FriendlySpartan

sadam

Jan 8, 2014
That was just a ploy to get the big ten network into the east coast cable markets. The schools aren't great from an athletics standpoint but they accomplished their goal and that's why they have been making more money then the SEC this whole time. Nebraska is the only real failure of the last expansion.

sorry Rutgers is a failure. Nebraska might be a failure too but Rutgers is a joke. Is Michigan state that school involved with us women’s gymnastics? Thought I saw something on tv about It.

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
If you have a different perspective or another idea I would love to hear it. The thing is that not a lot has changed for the big ten and honestly very little has changed yet for the SEC. I know sports media talks non stop about the college football world exploding but there is nothing to indicate that the big ten is looking to make a move at all. Again this move by the SEC was to catch up to the big ten. They could very well panic and decide to add teams but there is very little indication that they need to and any response to the SEC's addition is going to look pretty sad by comparison.

Based on the current contract numbers…I agree with this…but I think you’ll quickly find out that this will likely SURPASS the B1G, especially if they pull money out of the B1G to pay for their new SEC prize.

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
This is not as big a deal as you think it is. A new PAC deal isn't going to be anywhere near the value per team of the next B1G deal, and the same is true of the deal the ACC has now through 2035.

Like the teams leaving for the SEC, at any point in the future the B1G can focus on one or two and the main bullet point will be "straight cash homie."

Oh, absolutely agree, but I’m talking GOR. Likely makes this GOR test we’re seeing now kind of prescient…which is my point.

ISUEmbassy

Jun 13, 2014
Got to say their isn't a lot of animosity between Sparty and Iowa, both schools are considered to be the "farm schools" and thus lesser then the rest of the big ten. I still hate playing Iowa in ******* iowa though, always get worked at least in football.

Hmmmmmmm. Closest Iowa gets to considering themself a farm school is so they can say ANF or have faux outrage toward Stanford's band. Otherwise its constant mockery of ISU being an ag school

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Oh, absolutely agree, but I’m talking GOR. Likely makes this GOR test we’re seeing now kind of prescient…which is my point.

True, this will be the first real test of the grant of rights rules in the modern era, but it is a little twisted. The GoR is established to secure the confidence of the media partners that they will be getting what they are paying for in return for a conference media deal. What happens when the media partners are the ones seeking to juggle the conferences?

I guess I am saying that the GoR is a nice little piece of contract law that will be negotiated away for a price paid for by the media outfits that want the change, and that will be the end of that. And trying to enforce it will only be effective to a point.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Got to say their isn't a lot of animosity between Sparty and Iowa, both schools are considered to be the "farm schools" and thus lesser then the rest of the big ten. I still hate playing Iowa in ******* iowa though, always get worked at least in football.
Please don’t call Iowa a farm school. They routinely make fun of ISU for having an Ag school and the ANF sticker is just for looks. They generally have the lawyers who sue us farmers for asinine things.

sadam

Jan 8, 2014
Please don’t call Iowa a farm school. They routinely make fun of ISU for having an Ag school and the ANF sticker is just for looks. They generally have the lawyers who sue us farmers for asinine things.

like going after a farmer for the hog smell coming from their hog confinement operation that a UI alum decided to build right next to? ANF! Until it’s inconvenient to me

State2015

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 26, 2016
Hey everyone! I found this blog when I was looking to see the reactions from the rest of the big 12 fan bases. This site has to be one of the best fan pages I have ever seen and your community/fans are absolutely incredible. I'm not sure if it was because your division was the one getting raided last time or if your fanbase didn't care about realignment last time but I have seen a lot of comments on here get some attention that don't have much basis in reality. For the record I was a Michigan State undergrad, Michigan grad student, who worked in the athletics dept at State during the last restructuring (nowhere near high enough to make decisions but was briefed on the process) and also have family/friends on the boards of both big ten schools in Michigan. Figured I could add a different view that will give a bit of hope but also a reality check.

1. No one from the ACC is going anywhere for at least a decade due to the GoR. Maybe in 2030ish there might be talks but that contract is ironclad and as much as the big ten would love to add UVA and UNC that just isn't happening.

2. Academics are unbelievably important (which is good for you guys). Remember the school presidents are the ones that make conference decisions, not the athletic directors or commissioner. You might be aware from Iowa fans but the big ten is arrogant as hell and views themselves to be far superior to the schools in the south. There is no way they are adding a school unless the academics are inline. Nebraska was only allowed in because they were supposed to be a football power. Many presidents hate the fact that they are in the league and are almost irrelevant in football. The ACC has similar views and that is probably why WVU is royally screwed here.

3. Michigan and Ohio State aren't going anywhere. I cant say this enough, there is no concern about these schools leaving the conference. Keyboard warriors and sports blogs might be spouting this nonsense but sports do not run these schools especially in a place like Michigan who loses out on great recruits all the time due to academics.

4. This move was an unbelievable power move by the SEC but they were doing it to catch up (and probably pass) the big ten who regardless of on field success was bringing in more money then each SEC school. Most big ten schools bring in around 55mil each year on media rights and the contract is up for renewal in 2 years. Most people are expecting the new contract to pay out around 70-80mil per school. Because of this there is no real incentive to add more schools just to add them. I know people really want 16 team conferences but the big ten doesn't really need to add schools that don't move the needle and no other school out their besides ND moves the needle like Texas and Oklahoma.

5. This last one is more of a warning then anything else. State had a similar run to what you are experiencing in football. We won the rose and cotton bowls when they mattered and also went to the playoffs. Then our coordinators got poached, our scheme got figured out and were back to being a middle of the road football team. Many people think this will happen to ISU once CMC leaves. I really hope he doesn't but damn you have to pray Harbaugh does well this year or they are going to back up the brinks truck.

If you guys joined the big ten I think it would be an awesome addition both geographically and for this amazing fan base but I would temper expectations because the big ten really doesn't need to make any moves. They were already in first place money wise and with the ACC's horrible rights deals that none of the schools can escape from its really going to be a 2 conference race for awhile. The big ten can just wait for the 2030's and add the teams they really want to or just sit still and do nothing at all.

Sorry for the long first post, hope you guys have an amazing season and dominate Texas and Oklahoma!!

Great post, appreciate the insight. My gut has been telling me this about ISU not moving the needle financially.

One hypothetical I have: would the B1G be incentivized to poach ISU/KU, to ensure the death of the Big 12 remnant conference, and also poach some top tier AAU schools from the PAC, thus bringing down the strength of that conference. Maybe this would give the B1G more bargaining power if there’s only 3 main conferences to split TV contracts with, rather than 4.5.

Hypothetical, but it’s been on my mind.

CyrideAllstar

Mar 1, 2021
I guess the big 10 doesn't care if the pac starts swallowing up teams and gaining clout. You've gotta think they can leverage owning west of the Mississippi into contract dollars. If Ohio state and Penn state fall off, they're right where the pac is now.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Issue is that Iowa State doesn't check off the most important box, which you highlight on #4. Iowa State doesn't move the proverbial needle. It's because of this, Iowa State will never be invited into the Big 10.
Iowa State doesn't move the proverbial needle from an incremental TV rights $, but for every "needle mover" there is a strong likelihood the BIG10 and SEC will need to add quality universities. As much as the SEC can talk SOS, 8-4 teams are a tough sell to make a 12 team playoff.

The SEC may not be done at 16, unless they go with a home/road schedule each season within divisional games.

IMO KU & ISU could make a lot of sense for the SEC or Big10. A lot has been made of ISU's great fit in the Big10, but that fit is pretty strong if the SEC included OU, Okie State, Arkansas, Mizzou, KU and ISU.

Also, the Matt Campbell Cyclones would move the needle when the playoff expands to 12 teams. Especially if a playoff team's conference get a bigger payout than the current playoff format.

Last edited:

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Great post, appreciate the insight. My gut has been telling me this about ISU not moving the needle financially.

One hypothetical I have: would the B1G be incentivized to poach ISU/KU, to ensure the death of the Big 12 remnant conference, and also poach some top tier AAU schools from the PAC, thus bringing down the strength of that conference. Maybe this would give the B1G more bargaining power if there’s only 3 main conferences to split TV contracts with, rather than 4.5.

Hypothetical, but it’s been on my mind.
That very well could happen but to put it bluntly i don't know if the big ten needs to do anything to ensure the death of the big 12. If they can go after USC or Oregon then sure why not but honestly the pac 12 isn't a threat for TV dollars as it currently is and i don't see anyone they could add to change that. The west coast just doesn't really show up for sports or particularly care. Go to the midwest, south or east coast and almost every bar has TV's with some kind of game on. On the west coast you have to hunt to find a "sports bar" to watch the game. Its a different world.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
I guess the big 10 doesn't care if the pac starts swallowing up teams and gaining clout. You've gotta think they can leverage owning west of the Mississippi into contract dollars. If Ohio state and Penn state fall off, they're right where the pac is now.
They haven't been able to so far, the father out west you go the harder it is to get ratings and most people just don't care as much about college sports. At this point I really don't know what OSU would have to do to fall off but it would be interesting to see.