*** Official IOWA STATE vs Kansas Game(Day) Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
They were makable kicks. It's his assignment on the team and if he can't do it, it needs to go to someone who can.

It's also Dekkers assignment not to throw it to opponents.
Or the offensive line assignment to not have false starts every time in the red zone.

Stuff happens. It's not like a kicker has 4 downs or multiple possessions to get it right. It's a one and done.......hero or goat.

And it's up to the coach to know when it's time to say no. I think after two doinks.......it was time.

No one here was going to question going for it. If coach wants to build up the kickers confidence.....wait until next game.

This game was shot.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Didn't get to watch much of it (luckily, I think). But what I did see...woof. Awful.

There were several times when I got caught feeling like 'OK, defense is digging in, offense is starting to get a bit of a push. One play at a time and get to the end zone.'

But then it just turned into a **** show about any time there was a first down.

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
It's also Dekkers assignment not to throw it to opponents.
Or the offensive line assignment to not have false starts every time in the red zone.
If Dekkers had a 25% completion rate, I'd say we need a change there as well. Interceptions can be the fault of the receiver, the offensive line may not protect well enough, or the offensive coordinator may have a poor scheme. Unless protection breaks down or the hold is bad, the kicker controls his destiny.

Dowwmeow

Sep 24, 2022
The further removed from that 2020 season we get, the more I wonder if our success was just due to stupid covid environment.
I don’t know if I would personally go THAT far, but last year was an eye opener for me. Look at all the talent on that team. Several players now on NFL rosters and practice squads. Won 7 games…including a bowl game appearance. Should have been a 10 win team minimum, probably more. Not trying to dump on this coaching staff, but they’ve underperformed.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
If Dekkers had a 25% completion rate, I'd say we need a change there as well. Interceptions can be the fault of the receiver, the offensive line may not protect well enough, or the offensive coordinator may have a poor scheme. Unless protection breaks down or the hold is bad, the kicker controls his destiny.

Exactly. And his destiny was swirling down the toilet today after two doinks. Had this been in the third quarter......okay, fine.

But for the game? And not to win.....but only tie.

You play to win on the road. That has been the "margin" for years in the coaching ranks.

So call me nuts but I think CMC should have nutted up and gone for it. I wouldn't have been mad if it failed.

Reactions: jaj040 and Dowwmeow
Status
Not open for further replies.