***Breece Hall Thread***

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
ACL injuries definitely seem to be way more common now than from what I remember 10-20 years ago. How often does an NFL running back make it 4-5 years without an ACL tear? Seems like they all go through it.

I don't know how those guys in the 80's and 90'd played for 10-15 years with ACL issues. Back then it was basically a career ender.
Yeah back then a lot of the fields were basically painted green concrete too. Eagles, Steelers, Cowboys, St. Louis Cardinals/Rams, Vikings, Lions, Giants/Jets, Bills, Patriots, Colts, Seahawks, Chiefs, Oilers, Bengals, Bears (till '88) & Saints all had that bad turf.

Last edited:

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I tore my ACL playing basketball just landing from getting a rebound. I was 35. Dr. Greenfield (one of ISUs orthos) did my repair. He said if I was a D1 athlete, recovery would be 4 months, perhaps 5, My PT was 6 months because I was 35 and over-weight. What Dr. Greenfield told me a couple years ago when I saw him about my elbow is that after ACL, arthritis is very bad and players usually get 2-3 years before they have meniscus issues and that is the sign the end of playing is near. I hope he bounces back better, but I don't see a long career ahead of him now.
Meh. What's long for a running back anyway? Lucky to get 5 good seasons

Reactions: Farnsworth

Dowwmeow

Sep 24, 2022
That was an incredible play. The safety had like a 10 yard head start and Breece blew past him. Going into the draft the consensus seemed to be that he was fast, but lacked the "elite" speed. So much for that. Did scouts not watch his games last year? You don't rip off as many long runs as he did without having elite speed.
He ran a 4.39 40 at the Combine

Reactions: isutrevman

CloneFanInKC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
Trust me I get it. The poster made a statement wondering how he got hurt as the hit didn’t look violent. A lot of ACLs happen because the plant foot lands and the knee goes backwards snapping it.
If the knee is hyper-extended (knee goes backwards) the result is a PCL injury.

ACL injury is most commonly caused by rotation/translation.

CyState85

May 8, 2019
Sounds like Mike Williams and Metcalf are done also, they need to figure out why all these career threatening injuries keep happening. It wasn't like this 20 years ago.

I remember watching a “Real Sports” segment from 4-5 years ago and they talked about how the speed of the game and the mass of the players have led to massively increased force at contact. Even with new technology and new rules to keep players safe, injuries will continue to go up.

One of the doctors made the comment that ACL’s and brain walls are the two things that aren’t getting “better” in football.

Reactions: t-noah

cymac2408

Jul 4, 2013
Urbandale IA
If the knee is hyper-extended (knee goes backwards) the result is a PCL injury.

ACL injury is most commonly caused by rotation/translation.
I stand corrected. However, the ACL protects the knee from going backwards from hyper-extending. The brace I had to wear was big, bulky and stopped even more serious knee injuries. I played a lot of mens fastpitch softball and flag football without an ACL. I

Reactions: CloneFanInKC

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
I tore my ACL playing basketball just landing from getting a rebound. I was 35. Dr. Greenfield (one of ISUs orthos) did my repair. He said if I was a D1 athlete, recovery would be 4 months, perhaps 5, My PT was 6 months because I was 35 and over-weight. What Dr. Greenfield told me a couple years ago when I saw him about my elbow is that after ACL, arthritis is very bad and players usually get 2-3 years before they have meniscus issues and that is the sign the end of playing is near. I hope he bounces back better, but I don't see a long career ahead of him now.

#ToddGurley

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I remember watching a “Real Sports” segment from 4-5 years ago and they talked about how the speed of the game and the mass of the players have led to massively increased force at contact. Even with new technology and new rules to keep players safe, injuries will continue to go up.

One of the doctors made the comment that ACL’s and brain walls are the two things that aren’t getting “better” in football.
There are a lot of things you can do to help provide additional stability that can reduce ACL tear risk, but it’s not nearly enough to offset the increase in explosiveness and size of players. Not to say that a natural freak like Bo Jackson wasn’t also limited by ligaments and tendons, but I think training science has allowed a lot more guys to have speed, size and explosiveness that are at the top end their genetics would suggest.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
There are a lot of things you can do to help provide additional stability that can reduce ACL tear risk, but it’s not nearly enough to offset the increase in explosiveness and size of players. Not to say that a natural freak like Bo Jackson wasn’t also limited by ligaments and tendons, but I think training science has allowed a lot more guys to have speed, size and explosiveness that are at the top end their genetics would suggest.
Are players really that much bigger and more explosive than 20-30 years ago? I'd be interested if someone's done analysis on that. It's certainly possible, and seems to be a common narrative, I don't know that it's necessarily true though. I read an article a couple years ago about Olympic swimmers and sprinters. Studies seemed to indicate that almost all increases in running and swimming times where the results of improved technology rather than increased athletic ability/training. Improved swimsuits, improved running shoes/spikes and faster track surfaces.

Reactions: t-noah

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Don't wallow in despair, I'm just going to embrace "fastest RB timing of the season".

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Are players really that much bigger and more explosive than 20-30 years ago? I'd be interested if someone's done analysis on that. It's certainly possible, and seems to be a common narrative, I don't know that it's necessarily true though. I read an article a couple years ago about Olympic swimmers and sprinters. Studies seemed to indicate that almost all increases in running and swimming times where the results of improved technology rather than increased athletic ability/training. Improved swimsuits, improved running shoes/spikes and faster track surfaces.

They are way bigger now.

Take Lyle Alzado. Dude was a maniac. Similary to JJ Watt. I looked up JJ Watt and Lyle. Same position

Alzado 6'3 255
Watt 6'5 288

Average offensive line weight in 1990 was 276 pounds.
in 2022 its 314 pounds.

That is a huge difference. Guys are just strong and faster.

BTW the old turf at Iowa State back in the day was basically carpet over concrete. Not a lot of ACL tears but a lot of dislocated shoulders.

• Informative
Reactions: Cyclonepride

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
One thing that's super common now that wasn't 20-25 years ago. Field turf. Know who hasn't had a lot of ACL injuries? Iowa State
Mile High stadium uses natural grass. I know it can be a correlation, but it’s not in this case. Just bad luck.

Reactions: isutrevman

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
They are way bigger now.

Take Lyle Alzado. Dude was a maniac. Similary to JJ Watt. I looked up JJ Watt and Lyle. Same position

Alzado 6'3 255
Watt 6'5 288

Average offensive line weight in 1990 was 276 pounds.
in 2022 its 314 pounds.

That is a huge difference. Guys are just strong and faster.

BTW the old turf at Iowa State back in the day was basically carpet over concrete. Not a lot of ACL tears but a lot of dislocated shoulders.

And future CTE.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Someone smarter than me can tell me I'm all wet, but do they need to slow the game down?

Could bulkier pads slow the speed of the game down without ruining the fun, but also reduce injuries?

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
BH hit 21.87 mph on the 62 yard TD run.

The fastest a ball carrier has been clocked this season.
That was an absolutely amazing run seeing the hole then Boom, gone!

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
And future CTE.

My brothers and I were ball boys. I fell down a few times on that turf and it hurt. I always wondered how the players could take a hit off that ground when they landed hard. That is when I realized D1 players were some tough dudes.