The next Todd Blythe?

Clones21

Jan 20, 2008
Des Moines
4.49 from a 6-7 200 pounder? I'll believe it when I see it. From what I heard from his visit, he was rocking a mohawk and from what I see in his picture, the kid looks like a real goober. Hey, sometimes the biggest goobers become some great football players right?
Todd Blythe looked like a goober..:smile:

Kyle

Mar 30, 2006
Todd had a great knack for finding the ball while it was in the air and going up and catching it. We have no clue if this guy can do that or not, and I'm not going to compare him to Blythe just because he is a tall WR.

Clones21

Jan 20, 2008
Des Moines
Todd had a great knack for finding the ball while it was in the air and going up and catching it. We have no clue if this guy can do that or not, and I'm not going to compare him to Blythe just because he is a tall WR.
Agree...butt he seems to be hard nosed like Blythe was.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny

Exactly!
I think this guy will be the next Donne Jennert! :biggrin:

If I had to speculate though, I think he will end up adding 20+ pounds of muscle to fill out his frame and be the next James Casey (H-Back from Rice).

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
"in the game" he seemed to be damn hard nosed, he was always a trash talker out there, not that i didnt like it.

I would say he was the opposite of "hard-nosed". I might have seen him block once though.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I would say he was the opposite of "hard-nosed". I might have seen him block once though.

This is exactly what I meant by Randy Moss syndrome. He missed a lot of opportunities to make blocks, run good decoy routes, etc. Still a great player, but far from perfect and certainly not "hard nosed". Ennis Haywood was "hard nosed". Nick Leaders was "hard nosed". Alvin Bowen was "hard nosed". Todd Blythe was not.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Soooo... should we start a daily Todd Blythe pros and cons thread to go along with our DC thread?

Just teasin! :pwink:

Last edited:

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
This is exactly what I meant by Randy Moss syndrome. He missed a lot of opportunities to make blocks, run good decoy routes, etc. Still a great player, but far from perfect and certainly not "hard nosed". Ennis Haywood was "hard nosed". Nick Leaders was "hard nosed". Alvin Bowen was "hard nosed". Todd Blythe was not.

Good synopsis.

I'd take Todd back in a heartbeat. But I'd sell my soul to the devil to have Todd with a hard-nosed attitude that would run better routes and block downfield.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Let me be the first to say this:

"Throw the ball to Jennert!"

Hmmm...doesn't roll off the tongue like "throw the ball to Blythe".

AWOL2000

Feb 13, 2008
Lawry Crossing, TX
I just don't think it is even fair to compair the two. We have no idea how Jennert will be used. H-back would obviously mean that he would have no chance to have Blythe type stats. As someone said before let him just be Jennert and make his own mark on Cyclone Football history.

Reactions: cyhiphopp

Clones21

Jan 20, 2008
Des Moines
I just don't think it is even fair to compair the two. We have no idea how Jennert will be used. H-back would obviously mean that he would have no chance to have Blythe type stats. As someone said before let him just be Jennert and make his own mark on Cyclone Football history.
I like this post!:notworthy::wink:

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny

If he has close to the stats that the Rice H-Back/TE James Casey had this year (111 receptions, 1329 yards, and 13 touchdowns), he could share some Cyclone history with Todd Blythe!

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
What gets me is that someone is comparing a gthree star receiver that we've pulled away from Florida Atlantic--to Todd Blythe, our all time leader. At leasy Blythe had Iowa and other schools hot after him.

ChickenWing

Dec 22, 2008
Des Moines
What gets me is that someone is comparing a gthree star receiver that we've pulled away from Florida Atlantic--to Todd Blythe, our all time leader. At leasy Blythe had Iowa and other schools hot after him.

It's quite obvious...they are both tall, skinny and WHITE, which seems to drive all comparisons for white wr's. Painful when done by paid, professional announcers but acceptable on this site.