Best Cyclone MBB Wins Against the Jayhawks

LtRaczack

Dec 23, 2010
Columbus, GA
I have always been excited to watch the Cyclones play the Jayhawks. Iowa State has a history of being the ultimate league nemesis for the conference's storied team of destiny dating back to a 1957 win over then Number 1 ranked Kansas in the old Armory. I thought I would recall the era since Johnny Orr and list some of my favorite wins over the Jayhawks:

1. 1986: Iowa State 77, #4 Kansas 74 in Hilton. This will probably always be my personal favorite. Kansas only lost four games that year and was considered a contender for the championship making the Final Four. It was Johnny's best team and the only time Kansas lost in Big 8 conference play that year. This game was also part of Larry Brown's skid in Hilton while coaching Kansas.

2. 1996: Iowa State 56, #5 Kansas 55 in Kansas City, the last Big 8 Championship. Tim Floyd's first renegade team shocks the Jayhawks in the conference championship. It was also the last Big 8 tournament championship before becoming the Big 12.

3. 2000: Iowa State 64, #24 Kansas 62 in Allen Fieldhouse. This was a remarkable game where Iowa State broke a 17-game losing streak in Allen Fieldhouse and showed it was the dominant team in Big 12 conference play. This game included an epic comeback by Iowa State from being down 11 in the second half. This was also part of a 5-game winning streak over Kansas.

4. 2014: Iowa State 94, #10 Kansas 83 in Kansas City, Big 12 Semifinals. Iowa State had lost some heartbreakers in Hilton the previous two years against Kansas. This game was so gratifying because it included one of those annoying stretches where it seemed like Kansas could always get a call and the wounding of Georges Niang.

5. 2017: Iowa State 92, #2 Kansas 89 in Allen Fieldhouse. A hard-fought OT win to break a 12-game skid in Allen Fieldhouse. This game was one of the greatest wins of the Prohm era.

Iowa State hasn't won against Kansas yet this decade despite coming very close so looking forward to a big win in Hilton this Saturday.

-Which wins against Kansas have been your favorite over the years?
-What are some of your favorite memorable moments?

Jan 31, 2023
I am a youths but 2017 was awesome. Making a school record 18 3s was fun, who doesn't love raining in 3s? And Deonte Burton is one of my all-time favorites. The first thing I think about related to him is that transition 3 when Fran yelled "no, no, YES!" Just an awesome moment. Maybe not the best Kansas win ever but it certainly feels like the most unlikely win against Kansas.

Reactions: NWICY

bsaltyman

Drinker of Ames Lager
SuperFanatic
Sep 20, 2012
Ames, IA
My personal favorite game against KU was January 17th, 2015. It was the first time I was able to be in attendance to see the Cyclones defeat the Jayhawks. That game was the feature of College Gameday. ISU came in ranked #11 while Kansas was #9, and the Cyclones ended up winning 86-81. There was a sweet alley-oop that Morris threw to McKay that made the place go nuts.

GoldCy

Jul 11, 2016
Missed our tournament win with Holloway's 3 pointer. We were picked last in league.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
I have always been excited to watch the Cyclones play the Jayhawks. Iowa State has a history of being the ultimate league nemesis for the conference's storied team of destiny dating back to a 1957 win over then Number 1 ranked Kansas in the old Armory. I thought I would recall the era since Johnny Orr and list some of my favorite wins over the Jayhawks:

1. 1986: Iowa State 77, #4 Kansas 74 in Hilton. This will probably always be my personal favorite. Kansas only lost four games that year and was considered a contender for the championship making the Final Four. It was Johnny's best team and the only time Kansas lost in Big 8 conference play that year. This game was also part of Larry Brown's skid in Hilton while coaching Kansas.

2. 1996: Iowa State 56, #5 Kansas 55 in Kansas City, the last Big 8 Championship. Tim Floyd's first renegade team shocks the Jayhawks in the conference championship. It was also the last Big 8 tournament championship before becoming the Big 12.

3. 2000: Iowa State 64, #24 Kansas 62 in Allen Fieldhouse. This was a remarkable game where Iowa State broke a 17-game losing streak in Allen Fieldhouse and showed it was the dominant team in Big 12 conference play. This game included an epic comeback by Iowa State from being down 11 in the second half. This was also part of a 5-game winning streak over Kansas.

4. 2014: Iowa State 94, #10 Kansas 83 in Kansas City, Big 12 Semifinals. Iowa State had lost some heartbreakers in Hilton the previous two years against Kansas. This game was so gratifying because it included one of those annoying stretches where it seemed like Kansas could always get a call and the wounding of Georges Niang.

5. 2017: Iowa State 92, #2 Kansas 89 in Allen Fieldhouse. A hard-fought OT win to break a 12-game skid in Allen Fieldhouse. This game was one of the greatest wins of the Prohm era.

Iowa State hasn't won against Kansas yet this decade despite coming very close so looking forward to a big win in Hilton this Saturday.

I was in Kemper for that 96 Big 8 title game...in the KU section right behind their bench. It was awful during the game but oh so glorious at the buzzer.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007

I remember when they lost by 45 in Lawrence.........then beat them in Hilton.

I could swear there was blood coming from my ears.

Other than that..........it's hard to tell which one is better.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I’m a sucker for the win at AFH in 2017, it started that really, really fun win streak that year.

The Game Day win was great. The wins in 2000 and 2001 were fantastic. The one with the Matt Thomas dunk was great. The blowout in 2019.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I love them all. This should become a favorite thread.

My first one in person was Danny Manning's last attempt to win at Hilton. They won the national title, but never won in Hilton.
That game was my first one too. I was in awe of the crowd. My buddy and I were yelling at each other from a foot away and neither of us could hear what the other was saying.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
1986: Iowa State 77, #4 Kansas 74 in Hilton. This will probably always be my personal favorite. Kansas only lost four games that year and was considered a contender for the championship making the Final Four. It was Johnny's best team and the only time Kansas lost in Big 8 conference play that year. This game was also part of Larry Brown's skid in Hilton while coaching Kansas.

And Danny Manning didn't win at Hilton, either ... this was 2nd of the 4, 3rd of the 5 for Brown skid.

I attended each of the KU Hilton games 84-85-86 (probably '87, too, but memory iffy; might not have had ticket that season) ... Can't recall if it was 85 or 86, ISU got behind by something like 15 in first half, then went on a surge, took the lead (maybe even before halftime).

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Was at the road win in 2017, that one was special. KU fans walked out completely stunned that day.

Was also at the one in 2004 in Hilton we won 68-61. Was a sixth grader at the time, that game really helped me become a bigger fan. Jake Sullivan played a great game that afternoon.

Help Support Us

Become a patron