Best Cyclone MBB Wins Against the Jayhawks

ISUCY23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2008
Ames
To this day I admit I didn't expect ISU to win that game.

It capped a 7-game win streak, after ISU opened Big 12 0-5, including a home loss to Colorado. ....

Then, following KU win, promptly lost at A&M and at home to Nebraska ... finished regular season with wins over Mizzou at home and AT Colorado (where even highest-level ISU teams struggled).

It might be the most rollercoaster-y season by any Iowa State team that got an NCAA bid.
Did Stinson get a triple double at Colorado that year? Or is my memory failing me?

Joe4Cy

Mar 5, 2010
Urbandale
www.comedyxp.tv
Good observation, although I had to check, didn't trust my memory . It was on CBS - Nantz & Packer - not ESPN.

Granted, Packer (RIP) could be a little grating at times, so maybe @cytor recollection is correct, but cited the "wrong guy." I don't have time to watch entire broadcast to find out .... Here’s a part 2 of the game.

I was in KC but not at the game. We went down to Kelly's to watch, but Kelly's was closed due to structural damage ...caused by all the crazy a$$ Cyclones the previous two nights packing the place, jumping up and down in unison, and willing the good guys onto victory. My party went next door and watched the game - the environment just wasn't the same but the win was so, so tasty.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Did Stinson get a triple double at Colorado that year? Or is my memory failing me?

It must have been another game. He had 22/5/7. Here's archive recap.

I do think Stinson had triple-double at some point, but no memory of which game.

FLYINGCYCLONE

Aug 27, 2022
LuVerne Iowa
OP Cyclone beat me to a great game, on January 14 1957.
Number 1 Kansas comes to Ames with Wilt Chamberlain to play
Number 7 Iowa State and Gary Thompson. In the only Cyclone win against
a number 1, Gary scores 18 points and Wilt scores 17.
Go Cyclones.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
The best win will be the one this Saturday when our boys win by double digits.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Raef LaFrentz’ loss in Hilton in ‘98 with BIL, SIL & wife (all from his home town).
Hell of a game. Every Cyclone couldn't buy a bucket but luckily Fred was doing enough to keep them in the game. 17 points in a row is impressive no matter how you come about it.

I was a little sad watching the end of that. While they were looking at the monitor to put time on the clock there in the last 10 seconds I saw Fred Lande at the scorer's table. Fred was a long time Cyclone who spent a couple of decades on the scorer's table for ISU. He died just at the end of last year.

RIP, Fred.