Yes it needs its own thread… Mad Fran

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
Coaching is weird if you think about it. If anyone else acted like that in their line of work, they would be canned. In coaching its the norm, and you're thought to be a leader of young men/women.

IowaState88

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2022
The most ridiculous part of all this is the fact that Iowa fans and media members are trying to justify this whole immature situation by saying “The players responded to this, they went on to win!”

As if your head coach blankly staring at an official for 30 seconds while the team sits in the huddle doing nothing, not getting coached, implored them to make 5 straight 3s and score 23 points in 90 seconds. What a joke.

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
I guess I see a great opportunity for entertainment. He is up there with WWE. These Francon threads are always more entertaining than people ******** about things going to the cave or NIL money at other schools. It would be very fun to see them second round of the tourney. TJ could give him the elbow grab hand shake and then a three stooges eye poke.

huntt26

Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
It's interesting that if the ref would have thrown the T there they would have likely lost. Game of inches.

• Agree
Reactions: cayin

ISU4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2008
I do think it was pretty fun the ref took two steps towards him.

Reactions: shadow

mjhavlo76

Jun 23, 2009
I do and don't. Frans tactics probably are a big reason his teams get so many favorable whistles and average so many trips to the line each year. But sometimes it really backfires and he looks like a complete ass clown. And his teams success hinge upon getting these calls. When they don't get them, there's nothing else to really fall back on.

Tj is just plain. Does not really betray his emotions. I think it has worked at times and hurt at times. Just like Frans approach.

You see I disagree. I’m not an Iowa fan persay but I have a tremendous amount of admiration for Fran McCaffery. He gets a lot of disdain much like your Bobby Knight’s, your Bobby Huggins, your Bill Self’s, but his moxie and passion is just contagiously drawn to. I like him.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
He and his family wonder why refs dont like him.

He really needs to be suspended for a game. How many Ts has he had this season? He is acting like a kid. His team had a nice win and his actions are what people are talking about.

Reactions: CyDude16

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
It's interesting that if the ref would have thrown the T there they would have likely lost. Game of inches.
and I guarantee any other coach that would have done that would have been T'd up. The refs know he has extreme behavior so in his instance they let him get away with stuff because they know there may be more serious stuff coming at them. It's kind of like when so of Bobby Huggins teams foul so much, you can't call everything

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
As weird as that game was, I was appauled at how little the experienced Izzo coached the last two minutes. I mean, yes Iowa made 5 straight 3's, but in 90 sec! NO BIG 12 team would allow that many 3's in that quick of time due to lack of pressure/switching/or being physical with the ball handler. Shocked how much more defense is played in the big12.
I was amazed at Izzo's coaching down the stretch. 3 straight MSU possession with a 10 point lead when Perkins drove into the lane an MSU defender left a shooter wide open on the 3 point line.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I was amazed at Izzo's coaching down the stretch. 3 straight MSU possession with a 10 point lead when Perkins drove into the lane an MSU defender left a shooter wide open on the 3 point line.

What was MSU doing on offense? Can't stall out a bit with a 13 point lead?

I think losing a 13 point lead with 1:30 left might be worse than the ISU/Tech game by quite a bit; that was just more of a slow car wreck.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
Have you seen a Campbell meltdown?

People who disagree with this won’t take off Cyclone tinted glasses.

It’s the same thing, the only reason Campbells freak outs aren’t talked about more, is because it’s not right in front of you like basketball is. The fact that Campbell has had multiple freak outs get any attention is telling.

That being said, however, I love him as a coach. Probably the same reasons Hawkeye fans love Fran.

• Dumb
Reactions: CyDude16 and shadow

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
People who disagree with this won’t take off Cyclone tinted glasses.

It’s the same thing, the only reason Campbells freak outs aren’t talked about more, is because it’s not right in front of you like basketball is. The fact that Campbell has had multiple freak outs get any attention is telling.

That being said, however, I love him as a coach. Probably the same reasons Hawkeye fans love Fran.

The only thing I'll disagree with is that when Campbell freaks out.... it almost always is an obvious call/no call that was blatantly called/missed. The replay shows that it was plain as day that Campbell was right.

The majority of times Fran freaks out... nobody really knows why... or the replay shows he's not correct.

Also... Fran has gone a little further sometimes by tossing a laptop, or a chair, etc.