Yes it needs its own thread… Mad Fran

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Fran is the only coach I’ve ever heard referred to as Mad (insert coaches name).

When Iowa hired him, their catch phrase was, Lets get Mad Again. They knew his craziness.
They completely overcorrected.

They went from Lickliter who had no personality and played slow and had no offense to Francis who has so much personality that he's an *******, plays too fast at times and has no defense.

Reactions: Acer88

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
It’s comical that we have someone comparing Campbell’s handful (and yes, it is only a handful) of times he went ballistic on an official as a comparison to Fran. Fran is in a class of his own.

TClone99

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
So you have forgot Larry E standing in the middle of the floor during a time out staring down officials?
Yeah but Larry was hilarious and actually won some things that matter. At the end of the day Fran hasn’t won ****. One Conference Tournament Championship in 13 years is far from impressive.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
People who disagree with this won’t take off Cyclone tinted glasses.

It’s the same thing, the only reason Campbells freak outs aren’t talked about more, is because it’s not right in front of you like basketball is. The fact that Campbell has had multiple freak outs get any attention is telling.

That being said, however, I love him as a coach. Probably the same reasons Hawkeye fans love Fran.

Fran freaks out most games. He has a bad reputation of yelling at Refs.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
I’ll counter with, Campbell doesn’t have access those things to throw, but he has chucked his headset before which is as close as you can get as a football coach. Also Frans freak out the other day was a completely missed call (10 seconds in the backcourt). I’ll be honest, I don’t watch Iowa pretty much at all so I don’t know if his freak outs are justified, but it seems like if you ask Hawkeye fans they will say they are because of bad calls, just like how many of us defend Campbell.

Their personalities are not as much of a difference as some would like to make it out to be.

Fran's freak out was due to him thinking some refs have it out for him. It was a 10.25 second call. Its 50-50 if you get that call.